I'm a sophomore in high school, and it's been something I think about lately. Here's the thing, I live in Japan. I was born in the states, and I'm an American, but I've lived here most of my life. There's American schools here, and just like any school, when you graduate, you get a list of colleges willing to take you. I'm not really a dumbass, so I know I'll at least get accepted to some. Most of the colleges on the "list" are in the states, and I might go to one.

I haven't been to the states since I was 3. I'm a little confused as to... what I can do. Do all colleges have a dorm? Will I have to somehow find a place to live? I'm just gonna be some 18 year old kid that has no where to go. Are there jobs? What can I do? I'm seriously confused and a little scared.

What do college kids do for jobs? Do colleges have dorms? Is living there free?

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
It costs money to live in dorms but you'll get a place if you're applying from overseas. After the first year though you might like to move into a rented apartment with friends. As for jobs most student jobs would be simple things like waitering and what have you.
Quote by larrytheguitar
I'm a sophomore in high school, and it's been something I think about lately. Here's the thing, I live in Japan. I was born in the states, and I'm an American, but I've lived here most of my life. There's American schools here, and just like any school, when you graduate, you get a list of colleges willing to take you. I'm not really a dumbass, so I know I'll at least get accepted to some. Most of the colleges on the "list" are in the states, and I might go to one.

I haven't been to the states since I was 3. I'm a little confused as to... what I can do. Do all colleges have a dorm? Will I have to somehow find a place to live? I'm just gonna be some 18 year old kid that has no where to go. Are there jobs? What can I do? I'm seriously confused and a little scared.

What do college kids do for jobs? Do colleges have dorms? Is living there free?

a lot of colleges require freshman to live in dorms, and yes they cost money, every little thing in college costs money. if you go to a big school, usually there in big towns and there are quite a few jobs available, if you go to the school, and ask for a job i can almost gaurantee they will have somethin for you to do also.
Most schools have dorms....they usually are not free. And don't worry there is an abundance of jobs for kids in college towns.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...-Zappa
How much are college dorms? Is it like a monthly fee or something?

He will be missed.
Colleges usually offer a dorm, and then you can move into an apartment or something after 1 or 2 years
I think you just pay for the whole year. Dorms are expensive, but the best way to meet new people and hopefully move out the next year to a house.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for a year? Or what's the average price?

He will be missed.
I'd guess that it will tell you about the costs and all that on the colleges website. At least, it does over here in the UK.

Bottom line, college/uni/whatever is awesome fun, go for it!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Why don't you just stay in Japan for college so that you can get a job in Japan, get married to a hot Japanese girl, and then eventually retire to Canada and smoke weed all day? (my life plan)
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
most, if not all, have dorms.. They cost money, but not that much. You would have to live in either a dorm or an apartment of some sort. Universities in the US are much better than many in the world. You'd be doing yourself a huge favor in the long run if you study in the US. Like on average, $40000 ish a year for everything unless you get grants and scholarships.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Psychedelico
Why don't you just stay in Japan for college so that you can get a job in Japan, get married to a hot Japanese girl, and then eventually retire to Canada and smoke weed all day? (my life plan)

Yeah, well..

I am planning on returning to Japan, but.. there really is no life for me here. Although I love it. And Canada is great, hope to live there someday.

Plus, me going to a Japanese college will equal fail.

He will be missed.
Quote by apak
most, if not all, have dorms.. They cost money, but not that much. You would have to live in either a dorm or an apartment of some sort. Universities in the US are much better than many in the world. You'd be doing yourself a huge favor in the long run if you study in the US. Like on average, $40000 ish a year for everything unless you get grants and scholarships.

What's the difference between an university and college?

Haha God I sound like an Asian noob.

He will be missed.
I think I payed 1450 for my dorm for the entire year.

A university has multiple colleges.
A college of sciences, a college of arts, etc.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by apak

No.
Public colleges are SIGNIFICANTLY less than this.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by larrytheguitar
What's the difference between an university and college?

Haha God I sound like an Asian noob.

universities are harder more money. Thats where you get a degree or bachelor or w/e. They don't really train you for a specific job, but into a general field.

Colleges are basically training for the job you are going to do. They are less money and smaller.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Is college kind of like school in which it starts from 8:30 and ends at 3:00? No, right?

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Is college kind of like school in which it starts from 8:30 and ends at 3:00? No, right?

kinda. it ends much later then 3:00 and becuse of dorms your kinda live there
Quote by iantheman
I laughed at someone for breaking his g-string, and got sigged

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
I guess they don't teach a lot about college in Japan, lol. Where I live, they force all the information down your throat.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by larrytheguitar

Not really, but it depends entirely on your schedule. One day you could have classes that start at 8 but another day your classes might start at noon.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I have it scheduled so that I have no classes before 12:00 every day. Most days, I only have one or two 50 minute classes and a music lab. But they keep you so busy with homework and extra-curriculars that you're always short on time despite being in class for two or three hours/day.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.