Whats the difference between P90 pickups and humbuckers/single coils?

Ive played a few guitars with P90's in them and I just dont see much difference with them than reg. pups
Does it offend you, yeah?
P-90s have a single coily dynamic response but a more humbucker-like tone. they are very versatile because of their inbetweeny sort of sound - the downside is that they can be microphonic, and because they are single coils, they hum.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Aren't p90's the single coil gibson pickups? If I remember correct, they used P90's before they had humbuckers.

Technically they are single coil, but they have more wire in them than fender single coils, which makes them sound heavier.
They are, as stated, Gibsons first attack at the single coil. However, they sound very distinctive and frankly, awesome.

They fall somewhere in between single coils and hums, but are verymuch their own thing. When you combine one with a nice valve amp, the tone is beautiful. Love the twang and power combination, it's an amazing thing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
They can be noisy b*stards of yokes, even on a pristinely clean amp. It's because there's so much wire all in the one coil, without another coil spun the other way to cancel hum. Can sound great for some stuff. Especially classic rock.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
+1 on what blompcube and kurapica are saying. i'd say they sound slightly closer to humbuckers than fender-style singles (certainly strat-style singles- a good tele bridge pickup will be closer in tone to a p90 than a strat pickup will); they sound warm and "wide" like humbuckers do, with a lot of power, but have a bit more growl and bite than humbuckers, a rawer, less smooth tone, with a bit more top end sparkle etc. like fender-style single coils. the precise tone will depend on the specs of the specific p90, you can get hotter ones which sound closer to humbuckers, and you can get lower output ones which will be a bit twangier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?