I just got an Ibanez s2170 and played it this morning but the distortion seems really weak and thin, particularly when palm muting- chords etc are generally ok. I played it through a Marshall MG (yes, I know, it's a crappy amp, you should get a new amp before a new guitar blah blah blah- I'm getting one soon so don't want to hear about this). Anyways, does anyone know what the issue might be? Could it be the action that is killing the palm muting?
Does the guitar have active pickups maybe the batterys are flat?
Is it your first guitar with a floating trem? to me, you need to get used to palm muting with different bridges. just find the correct spot. oh, and do it with a good amps and a good distortion.
strat player forever.
It's probably the MG. Without having ever played the MG itself (so, no comment there), I can say that the Ibanez S series plays very nicely, and I've never played one that seemed to have issues with being distorted. Certainly, the action shouldn't be affecting it... Prolly the MG, I guess.
Not active pickups. GuitarBoy- this may be it, I'll have a play around with different position. I don't think it can all be down to the MG as when I play my other guitar through it (Epiphone Explorer) the palm mutes are really think and heavy. Having said that, the amp probably doesn't help.
That's just wierd. Maybe you're palm muting too hard? Doing it on a floating trem needs a different finesse and takes some time to get just right
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
Is it your first guitar with a floating trem? to me, you need to get used to palm muting with different bridges. just find the correct spot. oh, and do it with a good amps and a good distortion.

that was the problem i found with pamlmuting when i got my s series, didnt take long to get over it

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Well, with the Explorer being a TOM bridged guitar, It's probably your approach to palm muting that needs to be changed. Just play with it, try different angles, try to mute harder or lighter. That might do the trick.
strat player forever.
it`s the amp, but just a thought turn the volume pot up to 10 on the guitar...
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 15, 2009,
Yeah I think I generally palm mute pretty hard so may have to work on that aspect of it.
The pups on S2170 are weak and very low output, they can be compared to DiMarzio Air Classic. If you are playing metal you might consider changing the pups to more agressive ones.
Quote by Sledgeman
The pups on S2170 are weak and very low output, they can be compared to DiMarzio Air Classic. If you are playing metal you might consider changing the pups to more agressive ones.

I was starting to fear this. Played around and sounds a bit better but can still get a better crunch our of my Epiphone- pretty gutting for how much it cost! Any suggestions for new pickups? I play metal- thrash/progressive so needs good cleans as well.
If your getting a new amp, perhaps you should wait for it to come and see how it sounds with the new rig then decide?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by Richo1985
I was starting to fear this. Played around and sounds a bit better but can still get a better crunch our of my Epiphone- pretty gutting for how much it cost! Any suggestions for new pickups? I play metal- thrash/progressive so needs good cleans as well.

It's always hard to recommend pups. Maybe the new DiMarzio Crunch Lab at bridge and DiMarzio LiquiFire at neck could be something for you!? It looks to be very interesting pups.
Last edited by Sledgeman at Aug 27, 2009,
I would try fiddling with the eq on the amp.

Wait on the pups if you were planning on getting a new amp.

If pups still needed, get like a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. That should add some extra beef to your meal.