So me and my friend are going to start off an acoustic duo, we are quite excited about the idea as my band are just really up in the air at the moment and i doubt we are gonna gig again and i have been working on acoustic alot more lateley. My friend is a great singer and can play a little piano as well but she wasn't really too sure who to work with out of all the musicians we know, so we have decided to do this. The reason i am bringing this here is because i have never been in an acoustic duo, me and her have worked on little things but nothing outside of college really, so i have a few questions-

1:What would be some good places to gig? Because i have been in mostly rock bands, i am used to being able to play some pub or something where people like loud music and stuff, but obviously we would have to play somewhere that suits the mood.

2: Provided this works out and we get some good stuff together, would it be a good idea to get a full band together and give it a bigger sound? Or would it be better to leave it as it is?

3: What would be some good ideas for covers? We are going to make some originals, but i like the idea of making an acoustic cover of a song that is of a completely different genre, i was having fun working out some kind of wierd fingerpicking thing for "lateralus" by Tool, but i'm not sure that would work due to length, etc.

Thanks guys.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
cofee shop??

g. love - going back to jersey
sounds really great with just piano and guitar

to address #2, its whatever you feel like doing. if you feel you want to add a drummer or another guitar or a bass, do it.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I jack off onto store aisles, hoping some b*tch will slip and get prego. It's sort of a hobby of mine.
Start listening to (early) Against Me!, Future Kings of Nowhere, and Andrew Jackson Jihad if you want to start that band.
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
Any Newton Faulkner will be good, try open mic nights.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
1:What would be some good places to gig?

Small outdoor venues, coffee shops, book stores, tiny bars, intamite venues mostly. Stay out of the big bars. Go where you see the acoustic go.

2: Provided this works out and we get some good stuff together, would it be a good idea to get a full band together and give it a bigger sound? Or would it be better to leave it as it is?

Acoustic Jams are best left as acoustic jams. Drummers get bored playing with brushes, bassists dont particularly dig the slower melodies, sometimes. And there's something to be said about a duo with wooden sticks.

3: What would be some good ideas for covers?

Fun stuff or serious stuff? Heres a few that I do.

Zombie
Welcome to the Machine
Ghost Riders in the sky
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Thanks for the feedback guys, we have already performed a Newton Faulkner song once before (all i've got) and it turned out great, we had to change the key but i think everyone enjoyed it.

As for places to play, there is a theater where i saw a few friends play once, it wasn't in the main part of the theater but in the lobby area, so it might be an idea to try and swing a gig there, maybe look in a few other places where they do acoustic stuff too.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I'm in pretty much exactly the same place as you as it goes. We generally play in bars, try and match them to our music. Open mic nights are pretty good as well. Maybe try and get on some bills for small festivals.
In terms of covers we do a little twist on Nina Simone's feeling good. We're playing with maybe transposing it for our next gig though, also check out the acoustic version of Romeo by the Basement Jaxx (Romeo) . PM me if you work it out, it's not hard it's just evading me!