Yes, I know there are about 9,654,796,354,985,415,634,169,875,... threads about this, but hey, I'm going to ask it anyway

Here's the deal: my parents told me I could get a new guitar, they will pay €500 for it, I have to pay whatever's left for to pay (my part is maximum €300, really not much more).

So to cut it short a bit:
Budget: €800
Style of Music: Muse, The Horrors, Joy Division, The Cure, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, The Sonics,...
Guitars in my mind: Fender Jaguar, Fender Jazzmaster

Ok, now question-time:
1)Is the Jaguar really that bad to keep in tune? Bearing in mind that I don't use the whammy bar that much and that hard anyway, and I'm not a very agressive player
2)Would the Jazzmaster's deeper (fuller,...) tone fit better with the music I'm playing?
3)Would these guitars suit my style?

Ok, so if you have got any alternatives guitar-wise, or answers for my questions, all help is very much appreciated!
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by Archieisted
amp>guitar

I know that, I have already upgraded my amp from what I had
Also, the guitar I have is so bad (and I'm not kidding here, seriously not) that it doesn't do the amp justice. I have got it for 2 years and 3 months or so, and the input jack is falling apart, tuners are getting weird and so on and so on... The guitar is really falling apart, and it plays horrible, so that really needs to be upgraded
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

Well, both the Jazzmaster and Jaguar models come in a variety of configurations. You can get Jaguars that sound 'heavier' than some Jazzmasters and vice-versa, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

They also do both suffer from the same floating vibrato problem - no, it's not going to hold tune well. You can get the occasional little flutter out of it, but nothing more or the strings will slip way out of tune. Of course it also prevents you from doing unison bends in-tune. However, you can always block/lock any vibrato, so if you're not much of a vibrato user anyway, just do that and you problem is solved for either guitar.

The main thing you have to decide is if you want the short 24" scale of the Jaguar or the regular 25.5" scale length of the Jazzmaster. This will effect what string gauge will be best for you to use but more importantly it has a big impact on your playing, as if you have every small hands you may find the 24"scale jaguar is much easier to play on while if you have very large hands you might find the Jaguar's short scale is too small to use at all.

The obvious answer really is to go to a shop and try both of them out. That's the first thing to do, play both and work out which scale length you prefer.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks MrFlibble, that's really helpful!
I've got pretty big hands, so the Jazzmaster has got another pro there, but now I have another question... Is it a lot of work to lock and delock the tremolo, or would it be too much of a hassle to do that?
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

Yes, I know I'm bumping here, but I don't want to have 10 threads on this topic...
So would it be a lot of work to lock and delock the vibrato when I want to, or is it too much work?
And are there any other guitars that would suit my style? (In my budget)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

no you just press a button on the baseplate of the trem, no tools required.
Quote by rorypearce
"Orange amp owners unite"?

......form of... Tiny terror

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
May I be so bold as to suggest something all together more budget, but just as awesome?

The Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic:

Seems like it's right up your street! Then you've got money to get a new and tasty amp! You should seriously consider it, because once you've sold the Orange and the Strat copy, you'll have enough cash for a nice little valve amp.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
well, I'd love to upgrade to a pretty definitive guitar now, and I don't mind with the amp, I'm not playing any gigs and I can't crank it anyway, so what would be the use of a valve amp anyway?
Also, I'd be using the strat copy when I'm going to university next year,... Yes, It won't be any good, but just so I have a guitar to play...

So, thanks for the help, but I think I'll pass...

Thanks to everybody actually, I'm going to go to the store again (if I find the time) and I'll just play both the Jaguar and the Jazzmaster, and look at everything I need to.
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

maybe you should consider a hollowbody seeing as that`s what the artists you mentioned seemed to use..........(cure and joy division)