Page 1 of 3
So, how much attention do you pay to lyrics when you listen to music, and how important are they to you?

Music, to me, has always been about the melody, attitude, energy and emotion. +I love the guitar so thats mainly what I focus on.
I honestly wouldnt be able "sing" the lyrics to my favourite songs cos I just dont pay attention to them that much and dnt know them.
I also listen to lots of instumentals and dnt miss singing at all.

Also when it comes to making music, I love coming up with riffs, solos, progressions, and I love improvising. Coming up with a 'song' and writing lyrics just doesnt appeal to me. Ive never 'written' a song.
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
I pay a lot attention to lyrics. I never knew that one could cum blood.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

A lot.
Sending a dummy to my God.

Music first lyrics second. If i know any lyrics it's because i've listened to the song so many times they've just stuck. I like writing the lyrics but i find getting a new melody very hard to do, but it's rewarding when you get it right
i pay attention to how theyre sung but not the actual words... ya know?
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (Our own, not each others)

Quote by Union Jake
How am i gay? I was jerking it to the women, and i didn't look at my roomates things.
Depends on the band I think.

I can't tell if a lot of metal songs even have actual lyrics or if the vocalist is just making noise. But it sounds good with the music. In that case I don't think lyrics are very important. The vocals are, but not the lyrics themselves.

But some of my favorite bands like Weezer, Flogging Molly, and Streetlight Manifesto have good lyrics. In that case I do actually pay attention to the lyrics because they are sort of the focus of the song. If you listen to bands like that but don't pay much attention to the lyrics then you are missing most of the point.
A lot. If they're not saying anything, it's not interesting to me.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I pay attention to anything, i'd just tune into say the drums if i wanted to. Also depends, a song without lyrics can bore me.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Jacek.W
So, how much attention do you pay to lyrics when you listen to music, and how important are they to you?

Music, to me, has always been about the melody, attitude, energy and emotion. +I love the guitar so thats mainly what I focus on.
I honestly wouldnt be able "sing" the lyrics to my favourite songs cos I just dont pay attention to them that much and dnt know them.
I also listen to lots of instumentals and dnt miss singing at all.

Also when it comes to making music, I love coming up with riffs, solos, progressions, and I love improvising. Coming up with a 'song' and writing lyrics just doesnt appeal to me. Ive never 'written' a song.

I agree in every respect... the only bands I care about lyrics/singing are TooL (f***ing intricate lyrics) and Sypmphony X... RUSSELL ALLEN IS THE SH*T... I sing while playing so....
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Ever since I started playing the guitar I've been paying more attention to the instruments being played rather than the lyrics.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Lyrics are just as important as the song is, to me. I love poetry and songs with actual meaning, so I can't stand bands that have terrible or meaningless lyrics.
Wasted time in between guitar solos.

angus young
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Hammerzeit
Music first lyrics second. If i know any lyrics it's because i've listened to the song so many times they've just stuck. I like writing the lyrics but i find getting a new melody very hard to do, but it's rewarding when you get it right

Exactly.

But great yrics can make a good song epic.
Quote by Dream Floyd
I agree in every respect... the only bands I care about lyrics/singing are TooL (random nonsense) and Sypmphony X... RUSSELL ALLEN IS THE SH*T... I sing while playing so....

Fixed for truth.

Quote by D&DLover
Lyrics are just as important as the song is, to me. I love poetry and songs with actual meaning, so I can't stand bands that have terrible or meaningless lyrics.

I am the total opposite of you-probably why I dont mind metal music.

the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Quote by PinoyxRockar
Ever since I started playing the guitar I've been paying more attention to the instruments being played rather than the lyrics.

this.
For me, if I know the lyrics to a song, like someone above said, it's because I've listened to the song hundreds of times and i know literally every aspect of the song.
That being said, the only band's lyrics i know really really well is Say Anything
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
Quote by daytripper75
But some of my favorite bands like Weezer, Flogging Molly, and Streetlight Manifesto have good lyrics. In that case I do actually pay attention to the lyrics because they are sort of the focus of the song. If you listen to bands like that but don't pay much attention to the lyrics then you are missing most of the point.

Agreed.

I usually go for bands that play well and have good lyrics. The one exception that stands out the most to me is Breaking Benjamin. They're all great musicians and if I could have one voice, it'd be Ben's. But god damn some of the lines in their songs are completely unrelated to the next one.

I think a band should at least make an attempt at writing good lyrics. Saying that lyrics are absolutely pointless is just stupid.
Quote by Jacek.W
I am the total opposite of you-probably why I dont mind metal music.

I love metal. Metal doesn't have to have bad lyrics. A lot of metal bands have brilliant lyrics as well as instruments and vocals. To me, every part of every song is just as important as the other parts. I can't stand people who think that the guitar is the only part that matters.
If a band has deemed it fit to put vocals in their tracks then they need to be good. If I can't get anything out of the lyrics then I find it really hard to connect with a band's music.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by D&DLover
I love metal. Metal doesn't have to have bad lyrics. A lot of metal bands have brilliant lyrics as well as instruments and vocals. To me, every part of every song is just as important as the other parts. I can't stand people who think that the guitar is the only part that matters.

Ok, I was generalising, I just think lots of metal bands have shi* lyrics and a lot of the time you cant understand them cos the singer screams/growls.

Behemoth's lyrics kick ass, as do Nile's
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
I listen to vocals like another instrument, I rarely pick up the meaning of lyrics when I listen to songs. That being said, I write lyrics myself. Hmm, weird combination I guess.
I think it depends on the song/band. some bands, the lyrics are passable as long as the emotion is still there. the lyrics don't have to be interesting or even good if the melody and overall feel of the song meshes well together.

but that said, the lyrics can enhance the feel of the song. radiohead does a great job of that. they'll have some melancholy progressions and such and the vocal melody will be suitably haunting and when you actually listen to the lyrics, it enhances it even further.
Depends on the band.
If it's Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, Umphrey's McGee, then I normally won't pay attention to them. However, bands and artists like Fleet Foxes, Sufjan Stevens, Bright Eyes, and other bands like that get my full attention when it comes to listening to the lyrics.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Depends on how good the lyrics are, and how much the particular type of music focuses on lyrics. EG. Grime focuses on lyrical content, dance doesn't.
***Short Sig***
if they mean anything to me. Buit if it is just a song about drugs or something i just don't listen to the lyrics
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I pay attention to all the aspects of a song, because I can't enjoy it properly until I hear everything and understand everything that's going on in that song.

I like to pay attention to the lyrics as well because I'm a bit of a singer as well as a guitarist.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
It all depends. If I'm listening to Dokken, I'm paying attention to lynch, not the singer....don't even know his name.

Lots of grunge and early punk, its the lyrics.
A lot, the lyrics can add or detract a lot from the over all emotion of the song.
Lyrics mean everything to me. I definately pay attention to them and in my opinion they are one of the most important aspects of any song.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
the lyrics mean a lot to me really. most of the time i cannt stand songs with awful and cheesey lyrics. its just.. gross
As much as the music usually. If a song has terrible lyrics, I usually can't stand listening to it.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by batman187
Not much for rock and metal, but on pop and rap songs I do pay more attention.

This exactly. Most metal music I listen to is more to the extreme end so I can't really understand the vocals.
Page 1 of 3