Poll: Fractal Audio Axe-Fx: yea or nay.
Poll Options
View poll results: Fractal Audio Axe-Fx: yea or nay.
I own it. Luscious sounds!
1 2%
I own it. It's OK but not worth the money.
0 0%
I played one. Great!
7 14%
I played one. Yuck.
0 0%
I haven't tried one. Looks awesome though!
42 84%
Digital modeling? Are you crazy?
0 0%
Voters: 50.
I'm thinking about a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx $1500 (but finding a demo to try out hasn't been easy.) I already have a couple nice amps for my own sound and I don't expect this to replace them. I would use it in a cover band for a do all rig to "replicate" popular radio hits. I would also use it in my home studio for "effects" guitar sounds on recordings. For the price I would expect this thing to give excellent quality sound and tone, not a typical modeling amp. I've also read the unit can be used without a power amp for low volume practice. There is an Ultra version that costs $2000. What do you guys think? Experience? Rumors? There's a poll too.

Thanks,
Bob

I've played one through a tech 21 PE60 and it was pretty nice. My problem is when i start thinking about $2000 +, I'm thinking slo100 or hi-watt or something boutique. But if you want a small package that does absolutely everything and pretty damn well. it's tough to beat.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
tried it and it is great but still doesnt beat a valve head. closer to vst modelers than it is to a valve head. there are plenty versatile heads out there that will do most things for you.
Quote by Serg1
tried it and it is great but still doesnt beat a valve head. closer to vst modelers than it is to a valve head. there are plenty versatile heads out there that will do most things for you.

It would be really cool to program all the settings and then just recall them, amp setting included for each cover song. I just hate fooling with amp
and pedal settings between songs
Quote by Serg1
tried it and it is great but still doesnt beat a valve head.

Oh, but it does. For most intents and purposes, it will be better and more versatile than a single tube amp head. Also, note that the AxeFX is only a preamp and you will need a poweramp to go with it, in which case you can get a nice tube poweramp for the tube warmth.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Oh, but it does. For most intents and purposes, it will be better and more versatile than a single tube amp head. Also, note that the AxeFX is only a preamp and you will need a poweramp to go with it, in which case you can get a nice tube poweramp for the tube warmth.

The only tube amp setup that can rival it with amp modeling is the Randall MTS, but you don't get the effects with it and you can only get up to 4 channels in an one unit. But the AxeFX is a fantastic unit, especially live. In the studio though, I'd stick with Randall
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Most versatile unit you could possibly buy really. Get a nice poweramp with that and a MIDI board and you'll be set. Won't beat a real tube head in tone, but gets very very close and beats it in versatillity.

I don't own one, and I haven't played it myself. 3 of my friends have it though, so I'm passing on what they told me.
WTLTL 2011
You people are crazy. It easily beats most tube heads that cost $1500.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
^Factor in the power amp and cab and it's more like 2k+ at which point something like a use SLO becomes a real possibility. No one's gonna claim it's more versatile, but if pure tone and dynamics and response are your goal then you're probably gonna enjoy something like a SLO (if that's your thing) more than simulating an SLO on the AF.

Not that I'm knocking it but to say it beats most everything in it's price range is a bit bold. I can't judge the unit one way or the other, but believe me it's gonna have to sound pretty frickin good for me to pay that much. For me the end tone is more important than anything else.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Have any of you actually tried the Axe FX?

For a solid state modeler, it is VERY dynamic feeling. With the right power amp, the models are extremely close to the originals. Personally, I'd rather have the Axe-FX than one high end amp that it models
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've heard nothing but praise for these things. I'd love to try one. Very exciting to know that modeling is becoming a good alternative to tubes.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I'd get the Axe-FX, and two good power amps to go with it. That'd be one hella versatile rig.
Quote by Mitchell?
I'd get the Axe-FX, and two good power amps to go with it. That'd be one hella versatile rig.

Or the AxeFX with a Randall RT2/50 power amp, which IS two power amps in one, and you can switch between two different types of power tubes via MIDI. That's what I would do...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
The only tube amp setup that can rival it with amp modeling is the Randall MTS, but you don't get the effects with it and you can only get up to 4 channels in an one unit. But the AxeFX is a fantastic unit, especially live. In the studio though, I'd stick with Randall

Actually I was watching this video from NAMM and Randall now makes a head that can fit up to 12 preamp modules.

TS: I've never played through one (nor have I even seen one in person, for that matter lol) but I've heard nothing but positive reviews for it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Actually I was watching this video from NAMM and Randall now makes a head that can fit up to 12 preamp modules.

Yeah, the RM12. It's just the preamp, same as the RM4, just with 12 slots. That thing's gotta be ridiculously heavy and is going to cost an arm and a leg to fill it up
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Factor in the power amp and cab and it's more like 2k+ at which point something like a use SLO becomes a real possibility. No one's gonna claim it's more versatile, but if pure tone and dynamics and response are your goal then you're probably gonna enjoy something like a SLO (if that's your thing) more than simulating an SLO on the AF.

Not that I'm knocking it but to say it beats most everything in it's price range is a bit bold. I can't judge the unit one way or the other, but believe me it's gonna have to sound pretty frickin good for me to pay that much. For me the end tone is more important than anything else.

I have a VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead and some great pedals so I'm happy with MY tone... It's just everyone elses tones and effects that I need. (yeah, right Bob) Price isn't the biggest factor but I sure hate to spend that kind of money on something that I don't use because it doesn't compare to a "real" amp and for that much money my expectations are pretty high.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Have any of you actually tried the Axe FX?

For a solid state modeler, it is VERY dynamic feeling. With the right power amp, the models are extremely close to the originals. Personally, I'd rather have the Axe-FX than one high end amp that it models

Like I said, no. I was only saying that at it's price range it's going to have meet certain standards for me. From just hearing about it and hearing clips I have no doubt it can produce quality tones. Now, I just need to know if I can enjoy playing it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Like I said, no. I was only saying that at it's price range it's going to have meet certain standards for me. From just hearing about it and hearing clips I have no doubt it can produce quality tones. Now, I just need to know if I can enjoy playing it.

That's exactly what I want to know too.
Quote by Kevin Saale

You really need to try one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Greg Howe does get some amazing tones with his...

...but then again he's using it with his Cornfords...and his incredible playing...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by scott58
You really need to try one.

I know, St louis for some reason does not seem to be the best place for finding stuff like this.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I know, St louis for some reason does not seem to be the best place for finding stuff like this.

All i can say is my POD makes an RP 300A look like a toy. This thing makes my POD look like a toy. It's really quite good.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I play through an Axe-FX every Sunday when I play worship; right now I'm taking the place of one of the guitarists from the band "Wait For Rain," and our worship leader has amazing taste in amps. The Axe is, he says, one of the best investments he's ever made. And hearing my tone through it every Sunday, I have to agree with him.

http://www.myspace.com/waitforrainband

^That's the band's myspace if you want to listen to the Axe-FX in action (which would be redundant at this point I suppose), it's being used as a lead amp and sometimes for clean tone on their songs.

Anyway as a regular user, I have to highly recommend the Axe. It sounds freakin' sweet.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue