I've seen a good few rack vs pedals threads around, but none of them seem to directly compare the two. Now that I'm getting used to the guitar I'm considering what effects to get, and I could go for either a full pedalboard or a rack with 3 Alesis Midiverbs (1 on a "clean" channel, 2 on a "holy-****-is-he-playing-a-guitar-or-a-digeridoo???" channel ).

I'm sort of split between the two. On the one hand pedals seem to be the norm, and you can't beat 30-or-so knobs for instant tweakability. On the other hand the Midiverbs technically offer more parameters, and I'd feel so much safer in a live situation with a rack...

So any opinions or advice?
The rack is probably more expensive but will be better quality sound. Also with the rack you will need a MIDI footswitch or something if you want to control it live I believe, which will add another sum of money to the cost.
Pedals are so much fun!
I would say pedals AND rack.

Use a combination of the 2.

What effects do you plan to get?
In this case the rack isn't more expensive (~€500 excluding rack, PSU etc.). Actually considering half of the pedal effects will be off technically the rack is better value for money.

Pedals and rack isn't an option too cumbersome. I'm not sure yet, definitively a delay or a verb on the clean channel and fuzz, reverb (prob RV-7), tremolo (both the XO Pulsar and that Marshall one look good) and more weirdness on the other channel. All these going into a DD-7 used as a looper (any better loopers?). I'm not buying much in the short term, I'd just rather know which way I'm headed y'know?
Last edited by Union Of V at Aug 15, 2009,
That's a tough one... having loads of Midiverbs does sound appealing, but with pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Union Of V
Pedals and rack isn't an option too cumbersome.

Not really. Put the pedals in a rack drawer, and have a ground controller that can switch both the rack effects, and the pedal effects. Then, you aren't tied down to one or the other.
^ Yeah.
That

Also, for a looper you'd be better off with a used Akai Headrush.

I still think you should get one Midiverb with a foot controller and a few pedals.
It'd be perfect.
.... gah! :p I never got rack-mounted pedals, I feel that they are made to be out there in front of you.... guess it's floor FX for me. I have to say I like the idea of having different delays, distorts etc. Also I already have a 10-out PSU that's built like a tank so would be a shame to waste it... Thanks for the headsup, that headrush sure looks sweet (the 4-out delay mode might be nice for keyboards )

Quote by Tombe
That's a tough one... having loads of Midiverbs does sound appealing, but with pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.

...sigged!
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
If you're going to be experimenting - pedals.

I use a rack reverb at the end of my chain, just cause it sounds better, but for everything else I use pedals. I have a reverb pedal for the front of my chain as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com