Well, here goes - I have been designing and building my own 5 string electric violin (C G D A E - overlapping the Violin and Viola ranges) for most of the summer now. I cut the main body pieces on a CNC router where I work, bought a few other parts online, and just today I was able to string it up and play it. This is the first instrument I have ever built, and I'm extremely happy with how well it has turned out so far.

I decided to use guitar machine head tuners instead of the standard violin friction pegs. So much easier to tune!

The next step is to reshape the bridge a bit, (the bridge is shaped for 4 strings, need to round it a bit more with the 5 strings I have on it) and then paint it up! I'm also designing and winding my own electro-magnetic pickups for the violin, which will be an interesting change from the standard piezo-electric pickups that electric violins tend to come with. I also need to figure out whether I'll be setting up a small tone circuit on the output of the violin, or just a switch between the two pickups I'll be making.

Anyways, here are the links to the galleries, plus a picture showing you what I played earlier today

Putting the first few pieces together

Adding the neck

Playable!

The (kind of) finished violin!

For paint, I'm thinking of doing a transparent red lacquer job. Any suggestions on where to pick up guitar paint / lacquer? I'm looking at Stew Mac right now, but If there are cheaper options I'd love to know about them.
Last edited by skudmunk at Oct 17, 2009,

well done, sir! Check out reranch, I thought they had some paints and stains for sale...
------

Shwiggity.
Awesome! A Dream Theater fan as well! Amazing man, I am duly impressed...
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Wow, that look awesome!
I like that you're also winding your own pickups for this.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
it beats my build

but atleast i didnt have a CNC to do the work, who wins?

oh well, it still looks better than mine.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Looks like sex...5 string electric violin sex. Yummy.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
videos of it in action! nao ! kthnxbai.
but looks good, btw!
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
videos of it in action! nao ! kthnxbai.
but looks good, btw!

I'll be putting videos up hopefully at the end of this week. I still havent wound the pickups for it, and the piezo pickup I have on it right now is fairly underwhelming. excellent clean tone, but it sounds like ass through any distortion.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I'm still considering beveling some of the edges, but I'm going to be pretty much filling up all the visible space with pickups or controls, so that might not happen.
way cool..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
That's a beautiful Violin... The piezo in mine isn't great, could be a mod waiting to happen!
that is very cool. excellent work, looks very nice. the only thing i dont really like is that the jack is on top of the body. i think it would look cleaner if it was recessed like a guitar jack or something, but thats just personal taste. looks great though, cant wait to see it finished.
I quite like the jack there.... For me, it shows how few electronics are in there and it gives it a very acoustic and organic feel.
very nice, it think you should call it the electric violinola

for finishes and such you could just pick it up at somewhere like lowes or home depot
Quote by jof1029
that is very cool. excellent work, looks very nice. the only thing i dont really like is that the jack is on top of the body. i think it would look cleaner if it was recessed like a guitar jack or something, but thats just personal taste. looks great though, cant wait to see it finished.

Quote by matt_p90
I quite like the jack there.... For me, it shows how few electronics are in there and it gives it a very acoustic and organic feel.

Well, since I'm going to be winding my own single coil pups (have to be curved very carefully for the different string heights without the strings touching them with the horizontal movement from the bow) I'm going to fill the violin with electronics. Nothing fancy, just a pup selector switch and 2 volume/tone knobs. The jack is going to be recessed into the side of the instrument, at about the same angle the jack is mounted now.

The piezo on there right now is designed to be attached to acoustic violins without damaging them, so it just clamps to the side. That's why pretty much all of it is visible :P

I'm going to call up a few stores tomorrow to get some red stain and clear coat lacquers. Really want to get this finished fast so I can actually play it, but I don't want to rush it either.
Last edited by skudmunk at Aug 16, 2009,
that looks good im impressed
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
An Update! I started painting... Spray painting is fairly hard. I'm spot-fixing a few mistakes right now before i start the gloss coat.

Last edited by skudmunk at Oct 6, 2009,
Even closer to finishing!
(Invalid img)

http://skudmunky.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=569

http://skudmunky.com

So close to being done, just gotta shape the fingerboard and the bridge.

My hand wound electromagnetic coil pickups sound EXCELLENT now with the neodymium magnets. I'm now working on designing smaller pickups that wont get in the way of the bow and produce a more balanced output - right now the A string is to far away from the magnetic core and doesn't get as loud as the E string. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have some finished products - I'm working on fitting 2 humbucker pickups into the same space as those oversized single coils I have right now.
very nice, love the way it looks. im assuming there arent any soundclips yet since you are still working on it, but if you recorded any of your tests for the pickup i would enjoy having a listen.
That violin is very cool. You dont like the single coils? I thought they look good. I was using a weak piezo and then I found this. Do you have any guitar pickups? Its a seymour duncan hot rails mini humbucker. It has 2 rails on top instead of pole pieces. I put a piece of flat magnetic metal (steel I think) on top of both rails stuck to the rails and the steel picks up vibrations. And I cut my wood bridge short and put it on top so its like a really loud piezo bridge. I think it has more output like this than it did the normal way on my guitar. And I get a really thick distortion but I usually like a clean tone. I need to buy a 1/8" adapter so I can post sound files soon.

I also tried a full size guitar humbucker ( BC Rich ) with 6 adjustable screw pole pieces and put the strings in the screw grooves on top and it sounded good. That might be good too. I like hot rails so I didnt want the big one on my violin this time. Maybe on my next violin.

(Invalid img)
Attachments:
Violin2.jpg
^that's freakin weird bro...

Kinda cool though, I'd wanna test it out myself sometime. Experiment
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!