Has anybody here done this? I want to upgrade my tubulars and am mostly curious about what you did with the pre-amp section. I have the power tubes pretty much figgered at this point.

HELP A MAN
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Weird, I have tubes on the way for my J20. Haven't replaced tubes before but it's supposed to be easy. Ordered 3 Tung-Sol 12AX7s, 2 JJ 6V6s and a JJ 5AR4.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
since pre amp tubes don't have to match, and they are sold individually, and each phase of the pre amp reacts differently to each tube, i wonder if it might not be worth an investigation into which tube hole, for lack of a better term, performs which function in the pre amp.
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
let me know how the JJs sound
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Update!

The JJs and Tung-Sols are in and they sound the shizang!! Haven't got a chance to crank 'em yet but they sound awesome around 3-5. Alot more balanced (compressed?) tone and they seem to have taken the treble spike out of the amp.
I ordered a cold set for extra headroom and they were rated at about 20mA.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
i think i am going to go with tung sols in V1 and V2 and put a JAN-Phillips 5751 in the Phase Inverter. I am going to stick with the Electro-Harmonix 6V6 tubes until I see what's what with preamp. The 5751 is supposed to cut down on the gain some in order to smooth out the amp when cranked at 7 or 8. As time goes by, this amp keeps knocking my socks off and emitting beautiful noises. Still fully content with it, but I want to play with its tubes and see what happens.
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ