Hello,

I own an Ibanez ART300 and when I use it on my Randall RX15 amp, it's a 15 watts amp, the distortion is somehow acceptable for hard rock and metal, so I decided to grab the DigiTech RP90 guitar processor in order to get more sounds and a better distortion sound.

When I use my new pedal through the amp's clean channel it sounds ugly, I don't know, it's like it's weak and I can't perform palm mutes beautifully whereas they sound cool and aggressive through my amps distortion only

I'm very confused, since every video on YouTube that I watch for people whom using the RP90, it sound cool and has a wonderful overdrive ..

Am I missing something..? or should I get another equipment such as preamps or what..?

And I was wondering what's the difference between the distortion that comes with such DigiTechs pedals which has a lot of effects and between pedals with a single effect such as BOSS-DS1, since the price is somehow close?

Thanks in advance,
Ameen
Are you using preset patches? Every MFX I've owned has weak presets. Try making your own trying different amp models and turn the gain way up on the pedal.
You need a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sorry dude, but you get what you pay for. I've got a RP 300 that sounds like crap. i can't even imagine an RP 90.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
It's all inn circuitry. I don't know enough about it yet to really dive headlong into a full explanation (haven't started EE yet ) but there is a difference in how it'll sound based on your amp.

Your amp is a solid state amp. They don't generally take effects well, especially dirt boxes. SS circuitry doesn't take to being "pushed" well. Tube circuits, on the other hand, love to be pushed, and sound their best when they are pushed. This is why when you listen to those demos on YouTube, the sound sounds warmer, as most demo sites use tube amps.

Also, have you tried EQ'ing the distortions on the RP? I don't know if you can, but that would be the first thing I would've checked into.

The difference between pedal manufacturers is basically circuitry. Different components, different circuit designs all result in different sounds.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
PRESETS SUCK!!!

The RP series sounds decent for a starter set.....i dont think the pedal is at fault here.
TS, you HAVE to edit the presets.
Basically mess with the EQ, gain, compression....whatever, till you find a couple of patches you like and save them.

It also possible the pedal doesnt have enough gain for what you want.

Your amp is also possibly at fault here.
I have a RP300A and it sounds pretty bad but I can't imagine it being worse than the amp. Surely you have tried eqing it?
Quote by scott58
Sorry dude, but you get what you pay for. I've got a RP 300 that sounds like crap. i can't even imagine an RP 90.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
and your guitar has active pickups so that might be making things worse.
I've tried multiple guitars on that amp and the same ugly distortion is there, and that's even with EQing the padal.

Now I get it my amp needs to be change :P
I'll search for another affordable amp.

With the combination of this pad and my practice amp I can't get Metallica or any metal/hardrock band tone

Thanks a lot people
I have the same pedal, but Ive never had any promlems with it. You just have to try out all of the amp models to see which one you like. I personally hate the crybaby wah on it because its too bright for me, so I use the other two wahs on it, and they work fine.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Try making your own patch (check the manual for what pedals are what code, that helps). I own a multifx to, but I never use it for dist, just for the (cool) fx on it (you know, delay, wah,...). Best shot for you is to either work out a patch (short version) or, what eventually will happen in the long run, save up for a decent distortion pedal...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

I'm thinking about getting Tube Screamer TS-808 (It's kinda of expensive to me)..?
Or should I think about BOSS, DS-1..?

I'm seeking Metallica's distortion, any advice is highy welcomed
Last edited by Ameen at Aug 15, 2009,
dude, neither of those will help at all. create good patches on the RP90, then get a new amp when you have the cash.

/thread
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Ameen
I'm thinking about getting Tube Screamer TS-808 (It's kinda of expensive to me)..?
Or should I think about BOSS, DS-1..?

I'm seeking Metallica's distortion, any advice is highy welcomed

They're not going to help one bit
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I see

So the issue is with the freaking amp

We'll seek another decent one

Thanks a lot,
You Rock \m/