I have begun to liken the bass guitar and am doing music with 2 friends. Power trios require a powerful bass sound (well, mine does :peace. So what would contribute to a sound where both the bass and mid is clearly present... Should I be looking for a special pickup combination? Active or passive? A specific brand perhaps? Just go P-bass and play like a punk bassist?

Influences: Siouixsie and the Banshees, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine. So sometimes a bit of punk, sometimes a bit shoegazy.

I will be mainly using a pick at first because I'm coming from a guitar but am willing to learn most of the techniques. Our guitarist will be playing fairly distorted half of the time yes, so the bass should be able to cut through. Sometimes I might be wanting to overdrive the bass too. I like to do a short easy solo now and then. Any suggestions?
P-bass could possibly suit you well. Jazz basses are pretty versatile so you could look into that since they do just about everything pretty well. I personally like Soapbar pups usually but I'm a classic rock and metal(power metal like hammerfall, sonata arctica, nocturnal rites) so it may not work for you. I have some clips in my profile where i tried to get a sound as close to flat eq as possible. There's an ibanez sb900 mij that has a P pickup and a jazz pup, and ibanez btb775 which has two bartolini soapbars, and a fender p-bass special that has the P pickup and the jazz pickup also.

The fender and Ibanez btb775 clips are with both pups on full.

EDIT: i forgot that the ibanez sb900 was recorded with a crappy mic and a crappy amp...sorry. The clip sounds pretty close to the real thing though.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Aug 15, 2009,
While a P-Bass would certainly allow you to punch through and more importantly, beef up the mix, many bassists in power trios like to employ the growl that comes from the bridge pickup in a Jazz bass. The most popular example obviously being Geddy Lee. His whole technique is optimized to fill the sound, watch videos and see how he picks at the bridge.

Also don't be scared to add effects to your bass. A nice, warm fuzz can make a song, as Chris Wolstenholme proves on many a Muse track.

Lastly, don't write of picks totally. Many fantastic players use picks. While not a power trio Justin Chancellor of Tool fame manages to retain a heavily unique style while bouncing off the other instruments, all while using a pick.
blink 182 had a full bass sound with a pbass with quater pounders as well as a pick if you wanna look into that, I know he never played anything special but the overall tone was very full
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I'd go with the Jazz bass, with active EMGs
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
A friend has a jazz bass and complains about the noise... will active pickups fix this or does one need different pickups? I'm used to humbuckers on my guitar.

I've listened to Moving Pictures again and he does have a very upfront sound. Though I'm missing a sort of boom in the lower frequencies (could also be the mixdown, different than today's music). Can i get the p-bass boom *and* the j-bass growl in one bass?

These also caught my ear + eye:
* G&L Tribute L2000: leo's final evolution of his bass design, lots of sounds;
* Fender Jaguar Bass: a sort of jazz bass with an active circuit and a lot of knobs;
* Marcus Miller Bass: j-bass with preamp but one needs to be 1 happy slapper for this i guess...
Quote by MyraT
A friend has a jazz bass and complains about the noise... will active pickups fix this or does one need different pickups? I'm used to humbuckers on my guitar.

I've listened to Moving Pictures again and he does have a very upfront sound. Though I'm missing a sort of boom in the lower frequencies (could also be the mixdown, different than today's music). Can i get the p-bass boom *and* the j-bass growl in one bass?

These also caught my ear + eye:
* G&L Tribute L2000: leo's final evolution of his bass design, lots of sounds;
* Fender Jaguar Bass: a sort of jazz bass with an active circuit and a lot of knobs;
* Marcus Miller Bass: j-bass with preamp but one needs to be 1 happy slapper for this i guess...

Your friends bass probably isnt grounded properly. Of all the complains I have for fender about their basses, hum is not one of them.

Just out of curiosity, what gear are you using now and what is your EQ set at?
Personally i would get a two pickup bass as it would give you a nice plethora of tones.

I would then either get your guitarist to fit his eq around your tone, or vice versa.

Then, get a big fat sounding rig to full up the low end.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I find that a flat EQ and a tiny bit of overdrive works well in a power trio, when you start boosting/cutting loads, you lose the balance between holding down the band, and being heard.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The G&L you posted is nice and would probably do what you want, also look into P/J style basses like Fender Deluxe Precision. If you search the used market you could maybe snag up a Musicman SUB for pretty cheap as well.
Don't, and I repeat, DON'T get a Jaguar bass. They're nothing like they're cracked up to be. They look sick and have a ton of knobs, but they don't play well (sticky neck) or sound that great, to be honest.

Maybe if you replaced the neck with a Jazz neck, it would sound and play well.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
get the G&L or the Marcos Miller. but for thick sound, I'd get a Warwick, P-bass, or a Music Man.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you want a P-Bass with a Jazz Pup in it, get a Squier P-Bass Special. Not sure on your budget but they do have some punch. Otherwise, if you can afford it, look at a MIM Jazz or something.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

some sort of p/j configuration that way you can always have the bridge pickup to breakthrough
I hold my own in a trio using P like pick ups (with tone up) and boosted mids and a tad bit of fuzz. (I think I'd damn sound great in a trio now with the hartke box/boost thing)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Fly-By-Night
The G&L you posted is nice and would probably do what you want, also look into P/J style basses like Fender Deluxe Precision. If you search the used market you could maybe snag up a Musicman SUB for pretty cheap as well.

This is basicly what I was thinking.
Thick = Fender Precision Bass (AKA P Bass)

The new american standard is thick as a.... Brick!
Quote by The Sharkman
Thick = Fender Precision Bass (AKA P Bass)

The new american standard is thick as a.... Brick!

As is the neck. Maybe a P with a J neck?
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Actually, the thick neck is part of the PBass "mojo".

I love the jazz, the Alleva Coppolo (?), the Shadowsky basses, etc. LOVE the Warmoth Jazz necks....
However:
The Fender Precision, the Rick, the Jazz, the TBird and others are known for their distinctive sound. The Thick bass sound is a PBass Trademark, in all its heavy and uncomfortable self!

I'll always go for that, compared to Ibanez and such, the slim lot.

Look at our Cabs and strings, they're another proof that the Bass is a manly instrument

But that's just my POV
Quote by food1010
Don't, and I repeat, DON'T get a Jaguar bass. They're nothing like they're cracked up to be. They look sick and have a ton of knobs, but they don't play well (sticky neck) or sound that great, to be honest.

Maybe if you replaced the neck with a Jazz neck, it would sound and play well.

duuude whateverr!!!!!!
you can totally shape the sound on a jaguar however you want to. and the neck might be a little thick, but how wimpy do you have to be that a few millimeters worth of girth is gonna stop your hand from gettin here to there on time?
i play one at my local music store all the time, i can get a nice growl via fingerstyle, not to mention some stellar slap tones.

if i had 939 bucks, id totally get this thing no doubt.
Quote by thunderkix
duuude whateverr!!!!!!
you can totally shape the sound on a jaguar however you want to. and the neck might be a little thick, but how wimpy do you have to be that a few millimeters worth of girth is gonna stop your hand from gettin here to there on time?
i play one at my local music store all the time, i can get a nice growl via fingerstyle, not to mention some stellar slap tones.

if i had 939 bucks, id totally get this thing no doubt.

the necks width is fine. the finish grabs you, I hate that.

you can get alright sounds, but the switches are used to replace the knobs. bad. you get bits of every tone, but no well defined middle ground between a few. if I had 939, I'd buy a bass that didn't rely on so many switches. it doesn't even blend!!! it has blend switches!!! that's 3 options here, and 3 options there, as opposed to every possible nuance imaginable. a jazz 24 is far more versatile. feels better anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
to me it sounds like your answer is a Fender Aerodyne.

Its a jazz neck with P and J pickups so you can get that P/J your looking for as well as a thin, easy to move around jazz neck.

I have one.

And i love it.
hahaha, drop EVERYTHING

and get yourself a blue water fleabass.
not only do they sound awesome, look awesome, feel awesome. theyre cheap(like $500tops), and like, no one has one.

you should check out the site fleabass.com
Last edited by thunderkix at Sep 3, 2009,
As someone in a power trio, I love my Fender P-Bass Deluxe. Same as a p-bass but with a humbucker at the bridge.
I'd get an 8 or 12 string bass. they can take up a lot of room in the mix, 12s especially. Thats how groups like Cheap Trick and Raven get a fuller sound
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Wow, this thread is still going?

I think I can barely manage 4 strings... And Flea; hmmm I don't have anything with him. Now I'm leaning towards the new Sterling by Musicman SB14, it sounds very thick on youtube. The P-Deluxe also sounds interesting. Now I'm off to check some shops to check them out.