Yo everyone,

Right im looking to buy a new guitar - and am set on one of those two. I know the SG costs more, but it is it really worth the price gap? I have to say I'm tempted more towards the PRS though. The kind of music I play is rock like Jimmy Eat World and Feeder, although I'd be looking for a guitar thats good on clean as well. Any opinions from you guys would be much appreciated!

Cheers people.
Assuming you're talking about the PRS SE Singlecut (As opposed to their $3k SC245 model,) I've played both of the guitars you're talking about, and I own the PRS. In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the PRS over the SG Special is playability: the SE Singlecut plays better, IMO, than any other electric guitar worth less than $1200. It's also got a great clean tone and if you've got the right amp, it will sound great with distortion. The SG has got a decent tone, but all of the ones I've played had ridiculously sharp necks and jagged-edged frets. i actually cut myself trying to play one of those. On top of that, the SE Singlecut retails for $435 less than the SG, and if you can get one new for $500 if you run a tough bargain.
the sg is better
but
there hit and miss try a few
theres always a few roses amongst the thorns
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Yeah meant the SE! Cheers for the advice. What do you mean by IMO?? I don't have a brilliant amp at the moment, what amp do you use? Im in the UK, and found the singlecut at under £400 - www.dv247.com.
Generally, I've not been impressed by the PRS SE models. Other brands do guitars at the same price range but with better electronics, better hardware and full carved tops - PRS SEs are at best overpriced and at worst, junk compared to other guitars in the same price bracket.

That said, the Gibson Special and Studio ranges tend to be pretty dodgy too. If you can get to a store and try a lot of them out to make sure you get a good one then great, but they'r enot something you should risk blindly ordering online. There's a very high chance you'll be sent a crap one, and though some online shops will let you send a guitar back and give you a replacement, it could still be a long time before you're sent a good one and that's alot of hassle to go through.

Try looking at second hand guitars. You can sometimes find mid-90's Gibson Special and Studio models turning up for about £600 and that's very reasonable, especially since the mid-90's Studio and Special guitars were made to a higher standard with better quality control back then than they are now.

Other than that, I would strongly suggest you look at other copies of these kinds of guitars, from brands like ESP, Tokai, Vintage, Fret King and Indie. Maybe even Epiphone. They'll all be better quality than the PRS and cheaper than the Gibsons.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Generally, I've not been impressed by the PRS SE models. Other brands do guitars at the same price range but with better electronics, better hardware and full carved tops - PRS SEs are at best overpriced and at worst, junk compared to other guitars in the same price bracket.

That said, the Gibson Special and Studio ranges tend to be pretty dodgy too. If you can get to a store and try a lot of them out to make sure you get a good one then great, but they'r enot something you should risk blindly ordering online. There's a very high chance you'll be sent a crap one, and though some online shops will let you send a guitar back and give you a replacement, it could still be a long time before you're sent a good one and that's alot of hassle to go through.

Try looking at second hand guitars. You can sometimes find mid-90's Gibson Special and Studio models turning up for about £600 and that's very reasonable, especially since the mid-90's Studio and Special guitars were made to a higher standard with better quality control back then than they are now.

Other than that, I would strongly suggest you look at other copies of these kinds of guitars, from brands like ESP, Tokai, Vintage, Fret King and Indie. Maybe even Epiphone. They'll all be better quality than the PRS and cheaper than the Gibsons.

Gotta agree with Fibble, personally i dont like the PRS SE models either, the pots seem to go really quickly and the ones ive played havent had the nicest necks on them but im very picky.

As always said go try some of the Gibbos because there are a couple of bad ones out there, but on the majority there are some awesome ones too. Id Say SG all the way
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I have to say I'm no uber expert on alot of models, but I have a PRS SE Custom 22 (not a single cut but still) and if the 2 are anything alike, I'd know what to pick. I absolutely love my PRS and it plays like a dream. Especially like the neck, really plays well. And the sound is very versatile, I've gotten anything from nice hard rock sounds to clean and warm blues tones to sharp and twangy sounds, without any effects save for a distortion pedal.

Then again I can't say much about the SG...
Quote by alancheeky
Yeah meant the SE! Cheers for the advice. What do you mean by IMO?? I don't have a brilliant amp at the moment, what amp do you use? Im in the UK, and found the singlecut at under £400 - www.dv247.com.

IMO is internet slang for "In my opinion." I use a Vox AD30VT. It's got a great clean tone, but If you're focusing on a distorted sound there are better amps out there. As for all the people who claim that the SE line is overpriced, I got mine for $500 when they were going for $700, and I haven't played a single guitar that has come close to the quality and tone of that guitar. As for the comment about the pots, I did have to pay somebody $15 to re-solder the lead on my 3-way selector, but only after my 12-year-old cousin tugged on the thing for an hour or two. Also, £400 isn't a great deal, I got mine for the equivalent of £300 with a coupon and some aggressive negotiation. If you really want an SG, make sure you play the one you buy, because Gibson's notorious for having terrible quality control on that line. And PRS's proprietary neck PU in the SE Singlecut are far better than in any Gibson I've played, though the bridge PU isn't the best available. Also, check out the SE Custom Hollowbody while you're out: it's probably not what you're looking for, but the P90's have a very unique sound to them.
Quote by nav00
Gotta agree with Fibble, personally i dont like the PRS SE models either, the pots seem to go really quickly and the ones ive played havent had the nicest necks on them but im very picky.

I agree as well. almost every time i go into a music store i pick up a PRS SE singlecut, custom, or whatever and play. I want to like these guitars, i really do, but just can never seem to. My biggest gripe about them is that they feel really cheap to me. Also, im not a fan of the necks at all.

There was one exception though. One time i played one of the SEs that had soapbar pickups through a 65 deluxe reverb reissue, and the sound was simply phenomenal. That guitar felt better than any SE ive played.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Appreciate all the responses everyone. Nav00 I have tried a Tokai Firebird and although the sound was average, the weight distributon was all wrong. If you stand up with it and dont hold on to the neck, the neck is so much heavier than the rest of the guitar it just swings to the floor! I think I'm going to go with PRS, as the price issue is a big factor, and from the reviews from here and elsewhere the PRS edges the SG.
Quote by alancheeky
Appreciate all the responses everyone. Nav00 I have tried a Tokai Firebird and although the sound was average, the weight distributon was all wrong. If you stand up with it and dont hold on to the neck, the neck is so much heavier than the rest of the guitar it just swings to the floor! I think I'm going to go with PRS, as the price issue is a big factor, and from the reviews from here and elsewhere the PRS edges the SG.

play all of the SEs you can in the store to make sure you find the best one for you.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash