Hey Everyone,
I have an Entry level Epiphone Les Paul 100 and I want to trade it up for the $550 Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

I was at Sam Ash yesterday and played both, and the Standard definitely has a fuller, thicker sound.

Besides that, what are the key differences between the Les Paul 100 and the Standard?

Thanks,
Eric
Standard:
■Mahogany body
■Maple veneer over carved top
■Alnico Classic humbuckers
■Chrome hardware
■Grover tuners
■24-3/4" scale
■1-11/16" nut width
■Set mahogany neck
■Slim-tapered neck profile
■Rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays
■Body/neck binding
■LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece

LP 100
■Bolt on Mahogany neck
■Chrome hardware
■Mahogany body
■700T/650R open-coil humbuckers
■24-3/4" scale
■1-11/16" nut width
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
there is no bother with this thread the standard is sooooo much better, everything is better the 100 is a crap axe
The Standard has a set-in neck, (slightly) better pickups, pickguard, better quality hardware, Grover tuners, trapezoid inlays + inlay on the headstock.
A reule of thumb with Epiphones is to never get any model underneath the Studio.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
A reule of thumb with Epiphones is to never get any model underneath the Studio.
No, never get any model below a Standard.

However, I noticed someone up there mentioned the Standard having a 'Maple veneer over carved top'. This is actually wrong, or it at least gives the wrong implication. All Epiphone Standards and higher have carved, solid maple tops. However, the Standards get the ugliest pieces of maple. They then apply a nicer looking flame, quilt or plain maple veneer to the Standard Plus, Standard Quilt and Standard Plain Top versions of the guitar. So if the top looks like flame maple, quilt maple or it's got a transparent finish then yes, it will have a prettier veneer - but the carved top is still solid maple regardless. On Standard models which have a solid finish, it's still a full maple top, just it's lacking the pretty veneer since you can't see the wood anyway and there would be no point.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
No, never get any model below a Standard.

However, I noticed someone up there mentioned the Standard having a 'Maple veneer over carved top'. This is actually wrong, or it at least gives the wrong implication. All Epiphone Standards and higher have carved, solid maple tops. However, the Standards get the ugliest pieces of maple. They then apply a nicer looking flame, quilt or plain maple veneer to the Standard Plus, Standard Quilt and Standard Plain Top versions of the guitar. So if the top looks like flame maple, quilt maple or it's got a transparent finish then yes, it will have a prettier veneer - but the carved top is still solid maple regardless. On Standard models which have a solid finish, it's still a full maple top, just it's lacking the pretty veneer since you can't see the wood anyway and there would be no point.

I've heard decent things about the Studio. However I MIGHT be mixing it up with Gibsons, where you shouldn't get a Les Paul below a Studio...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^Probably, I'd buy a gibson studio but not an epi studio.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
A Epiphone Les Paul Custom in on par if not probably al ittle better then a Gibson Les Paul Studio model, atleast thats what i thought when i played them.
my epi studio is as good as a standard.

maybe they changed them a lot since i bought mine.
maybe 5 years ago? i forget how long.

in this case, ts, stick with the standard, also check out high end model agile guitars on rondomusic.com
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Standard.

But to be honest, look into other brands. You'll tire of the epiphone stock pickups quickly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jj1565
my epi studio is as good as a standard.

maybe they changed them a lot since i bought mine.
maybe 5 years ago? i forget how long.

in this case, ts, stick with the standard, also check out high end model agile guitars on rondomusic.com

Yeah Jenny I was thinking of you when I said that...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Yeah Jenny I was thinking of you when I said that...

yep, that's old school for ya.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011