Hi, I need your help here

the mp3 is in my profile

Long story short - could you please listen to the mp3 and tell me.....

My lead singer is telling me that :

a) the guitar is in a different scale than the bass
b) the guitar is using some different mode
c) the guitar is out of tune

He's saying that 90% of the solo is REALLY bad.

We're not talking about perfect playing. We're NOT talking about precise timing or tone, I know the timing is off here and there and the tone is ultimate crap - I've started working at this just today.

Are the notes in a different scale?

This was a VERY EARLY test recording of the solo for this piece and I'm getting extremely negative comments on it - even though he knows this is really really early material made for practice.

The quality of the guitar recording is awful, the guitar track was recorded on a mobile phone and then synced with the drums and bass on the computer, no editing was done of any kind.

I'm trying to determine if my ears aren't working any more.

Please let me know, I would really appreciate as many answers as possible.

the mp3 is in my profile
Last edited by sergiu at Aug 15, 2009,
Lint to the file is not working. upload it as MP3 in your Profile
My Gear:RRhoads (Duncan SH-6),Ovation USA,
M-Audio Sono 88,
ZOOM 606,
VOX VT30,
Shure SM57,
M-Audio Fast Track Pro,
Behringer XENYX X1222 USB,
KRK RP5 G2,
Guitar Pro, Adobe Audition, Reaper, EZDrummer
well to my ears none of the notes seem really out. the first scale rundown i think your playing one note thats sounds a bit weird i think it may be you rplaying the harmonic minor scale with that sharp 7th. im not sure tho, my ears arent that good. it has more to do with the bass line sounding almost major although i think its just playing 5ths. so imo i think your singer is just an ass lol. in the first run down on the scale try changing that one note and itll be fine.
I'm curious, what scale(s) were you playing?

But either way, all the bass is really doing is the root and 5th of a I IV V progression. Which leaves a lot of room for the guitar scale wise. As long as you respect that root and 5th you can play just about any scales you want.

But basically, it sounds fine. There are definitely some outside notes going on, but none of them clash or sound bad to me. Maybe your singer was expecting a stock sounding solo straight out of a blues or pentatonic scale?
Sounds cool. is it RHCP, Hendrix influenced band?
My Gear:RRhoads (Duncan SH-6),Ovation USA,
M-Audio Sono 88,
ZOOM 606,
VOX VT30,
Shure SM57,
M-Audio Fast Track Pro,
Behringer XENYX X1222 USB,
KRK RP5 G2,
Guitar Pro, Adobe Audition, Reaper, EZDrummer
Thank you for your thoughts. It's basically e minor pentatonic with some e minor notes - c and f# mixed in. The minor scale sounds nice (to me) in fast runs, it's also more 'old school'. I use both of those scales. There is a small (and not really well done) sweep (tab)

14 / 12

In the start of the second half of the solo, I mix a bit of C# - I bend both C# and A at once (on the b and g strings together, frets 14) - this is used a lot in solos. This goes away from e minor, so the rest is mainly pentatonic, and with a different groove to it.

The difference from the 'standard' pentatonic licks is the flow of the notes - the timing and the notes that stand out.