Now I know its not made for metal or anything, but how heavy of a tone could I get with this amp, with either the amps distortion and also with a pedal ( Im thinking about getting a Russian Pi Muff fuzz ).

Also, would this be louder than my Vox AD50VT? I can connect a cab to it if I had to right?

Or just post your experiences with this amp
Last edited by Tedward at Aug 15, 2009,
You definately need a pedal for metal, I would get an overdrive pedal with the AC15 for rhythym.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
An AC15 can't do metal by itself. When I push it with my OCD, I could pull off Sabbath, but it's really not voiced for that.

But, with a good overdrive or distortion pedal providing all the distortion, it's great. When I use my Fulltone OCD for all the OD, basically like a dirty channel, it sounds wonderful.
metal?no, but everything else, yes, and it does it all wonderfully. i've yet to be dissapointed with my ac15, you would probably have to put an od or dist. infront of it. the muff would probably get you into some metal territory, more stoner metal/sludge
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
metal?no, but everything else, yes, and it does it all wonderfully. i've yet to be dissapointed with my ac15, you would probably have to put an od or dist. infront of it. the muff would probably get you into some metal territory, more stoner metal/sludge

Sludge and blues metal, for like super fuzzed out drop-tuned rythm is basically what I'm looking for at that end of the amps tonal spectrum.

Im pretty set on this amp, its got all the features I need.

But does anyone know how it compares to an AD50VT in terms of volume?
No way will it be louder that the AD50VT.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No way will it be louder that the AD50VT.

Howbout with an extension cab?
15 watts is 15 watts, extension cab or no extension cab.
EDIT: A 4x12 will project the sound better and will give the illusion of being slightly louder, but really won't be.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by steve108819
A 15W tube amp will be a hell of a lot louder than you think compared to a 50W SS

Not THAT much louder, though. Probably as loud as a 30 watt SS at best. The difference is "felt" more then it is "heard" if that makes any sense. Either way, I think they look like great amps. Probably wouldn't get rid of my VT100 for one but probably for an AC30.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
the answer is no. the ac15 does not sound good when playing metal. sure you can push it so that it can get that much gain but it will turn to mush. also, a distortion pedal will never match even a half decent tube amp so that route will not work either. if you play mostly metal, stay away from the ac15.
^My Rothwell does an amazing metal Tone.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by steve108819
A 15W tube amp will be a hell of a lot louder than you think compared to a 50W SS

Just no.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I would get an AC15 over any modelling amp, with the exception of an AxeFX and an Atomic Reactor..

BUT, isn't the wattage of an AC15 just 15 watts BEFORE going into a driven state?
I heard Gabel said that his Rocker30 put out around 90 watts when driven to the end of the line... Could be hella wrong here though...
Last edited by stykerwolf at Aug 16, 2009,
I'm not looking to play teh br00talz on it, just some fuzzed out blues/southern metal sort of riffs.

So it wont be louder than my AD50? I'm getting some mixed answers, I would go for the AC30 but its quite a bit more expensive...

I read somewhere that volume had a lot less to do with watts then pressure from the speakers, so if you set things up low watts would get a lot of volume. Or something along those lines...

EDIT: the Fender Hot Rod Deville models look to have a pretty good value, as well as the AC50CP2, but I don't know if they have them where I live.
Last edited by Tedward at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by stykerwolf
But, isn't the wattage of an AC15 just 15 watts BEFORE going into a driven state?

Yes, exactly.

If you crank up an AC15, it is very, very loud.
Quote by stykerwolf
I would get an AC15 over any modelling amp, with the exception of an AxeFX and an Atomic Reactor..

BUT, isn't the wattage of an AC15 just 15 watts BEFORE going into a driven state?
I heard Gabel said that his Rocker30 put out around 90 watts when driven to the end of the line... Could be hella wrong here though...

You are correct. At least it's rated 15W headroom. So volume wise, 15W is MORE than enough for most things (I use an 18watter and have never needed more volume). However 15W means low headroom. If you need veyr clean tones, then this is a BIG matter.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
You are correct. At least it's rated 15W headroom. So volume wise, 15W is MORE than enough for most things (I use an 18watter and have never needed more volume). However 15W means low headroom. If you need veyr clean tones, then this is a BIG matter.

But some amps have more headroom then the next, the ac15 has a ton of headroom. I wouldn't get the AC50 mine broke down, saved up and got an AC30 and never looked back.
Quote by Gabel

Off topic, but does your 18 watter have the headroom to play small gigs?
Quote by Mitchell?
Off topic, but does your 18 watter have the headroom to play small gigs?

Depends on what you mean by headroom. I gig with it, a lot and have been doing for qutie some time. Never had a problem or anything. I however DON'T want a pristine clean tone. I use it fairly overdriven for playing and it overdrives REALLY fast, so headroom is an issue if you need that. I use my Power Scale about halfway and then set the Drive knob (my PPMIV basically works as a "clean" knob for preamp) and then the volume about halfway. Then I get a great, bluesy breakup tone that I can get clean by rolling off the volume a bit or just playing soft. Then I use my OCD to get classic rock crunch and some extra sustain.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009