I've wondered this for a while now, but thought it was too stupid of a question to ask. I am going to ask it now. Does learning songs help improve your guitar skill? I know it improves your ear, but skill wise, what does it do for you? *quickly jumps into flamesuit*
But my rub is, does it help just as much as cramming theory into your brain or memorizing chord progressions?
Could help you think a little bit differently. I'm a noob and I've been playing some real basic **** for awhile and trying to avoid tabs, but recently decided to try and learn a Hedrix song or two and it just shows me all the different things you can do with the guitar.
Quote by epiphonesg94
But my rub is, does it help just as much as cramming theory into your brain or memorizing chord progressions?

Yes, absolutely. I would say that it helps alot more actually. cramming theory into your brain without the context of what that theory is describing, is generally not all that effective.

(don't misunderstand that though.... learning theory properly, when you're ready for it, is a good thing)

Quote by KoenDercksen
It helps developing skill if you learn challenging songs, yes.

I'd say yes, even if you learn easy songs.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 15, 2009,
Arguably your ability to play songs IS your skill, yyou certainly don't use exercises as a basis for measuring your ability with the instrument, nor your theory knowledge - those are all things you learn and do in order to improve your ability to play songs
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Arguably your ability to play songs IS your skill, yyou certainly don't use exercises as a basis for measuring your ability with the instrument, nor your theory knowledge - those are all things you learn and do in order to improve your ability to play songs

That is kind of the smartest thing I've ever heard
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
Learning theory, doesn't help you to play the instrument.

Learning to play guitar, means that you can "access" things that you (for example) learned through theory.

You need to play guitar (so yes, learning songs develops ur guitar skill).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You know what annoys me? People who say learning other people's songs will not advance your skill or musicianship. What total bull****. If you aren't aware of a technique or style you simply won't be able to incorporate it into your playing. You become aware by observing and emulating what you observe. Whether it's a series of notes or technique learning it will expand your creativity and skill.

That being said, I love to learn classical music on guitar. The phrases are very different to those used in rock music and much more challenging.