Band Practise, no gigging just some jammin. It'll just be me and a drummer. Maybe some vocals.

I do not have the money for the VT 30 or the vt50 for that matter, my budget only stretches out to 180 EUR total.

the VT15 is already 180, so you get my point...

thanks guys, it will be much appreciated.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Aug 15, 2009,
No not at all. I just bought a 30W one for bedroom use (the wattage control is useful). I brought it to a friends house to jam. The drums drowned it out so badly. Sadly, I think my friends Frontman 25W was louder.

Don't let the tube fool you. Its only in the preamp. The Power Amp is still solid state.
No probably not. A VT30 might and 50 definately would. But the 15 couldn't.

And Young Mosaic, the tube is in the power amp.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Last edited by Sampy at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Young Mosaics
No not at all. I just bought a 30W one. I brought it to a friends house to jam. The drums drowned it out so badly. Sadly, I think my friends Frontman 25W was louder.

Don't let the tube fool you. Its only in the preamp. The Power Amp is still solid state.

So it's not even good enough for jamming? Jezus.... And I liked the sound of the amp a lot. Go figure, UG makes me spend more money:P

Quote by Sampy
No probably not. A VT30 might and 50 definately would. But the 15 couldn't.

as said before, not even for jamming?!
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Aug 15, 2009,
I have a Blackstar HT-5. It's exceptionally loud for the wattage, but it's 5 watts and can easily kick a drumkit in the balls.
Quote by darkravers009
So it's not even good enough for jamming? Jezus.... And I liked the sound of the amp a lot. Go figure, UG makes me spend more money:P

I didn't think so. I plugged into a bigger amp after one song. You could always try it. I played my first gig with a 15W Spider III I was such a noob though.

Its probably one of the best amps for the money, tone wise. I'd give it a shot. Or you could try the Behringer thats $200. It sounds pretty nice. A band that my band frequently plays shows with uses it. I'd link it, but I'm lazy.
Quote by nospacesallowed
I have a Blackstar HT-5. It's exceptionally loud for the wattage, but it's 5 watts and can easily kick a drumkit in the balls.

yeah, but that's tube. I'm buying this with a guitar all together. So, only for this one time money is an issue.
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009

Well, I've got an Orange Crush 30R, that when turned to 8 or 9 just gets along with drums, but it's more watts (ok not twice as loud, but still) and the Orange has British measuring way, and that's louder than the American system...

So, you would never hear yourself playing unless the drummer takes it easy...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
Well, I've got an Orange Crush 30R, that when turned to 8 or 9 just gets along with drums, but it's more watts (ok not twice as loud, but still) and the Orange has British measuring way, and that's louder than the American system...

So, you would never hear yourself playing unless the drummer takes it easy...

so, any good amps for about 180 EUR? that a drummer can hear?
Vox VT30
the Vox would be fine!

mine would melt wall on full gain, i only use it at half! And my mate uses a 15 watt solid state that can be heard fine! it's ****, but we can hear it!
Quote by Sampy

And Young Mosaic, the tube is in the power amp.

Wrong, the tube is in the pre-amp section. The power amp is 100% SS. Look it up.
Quote by steve108819
Wrong, the tube is in the pre-amp section. The power amp is 100% SS. Look it up.

Wrong, YOU look it up. The VT series uses a 12ax7 preamp style tube that the power section passes through. This passing allows the amps dynamic to react more like a real all tube amp.

From the manual:
"The VT-series use Valve Reactor technology, and feature a power amp circuit containing
a 12AX7 (ECC83) dual triode valve (“vacuum tube&rdquo that would normally be
used in a preamp. This allows the amp to produce the true sound and feel of a bona
fide all valve (tube) amp.

Valve Reactor’s power stage is a miniature version of a true tube push/pull power
amp. It uses a 12AX7 tube (dual triode; in other words, two vacuum tubes in one), and
is similar to a true tube amp with an output transformer. Rather than connecting the
vacuum tube directly to a speaker via an output transformer, the signal is converted by
a virtual output transformer in which solid stage components emulate the output transformer,
and the final output stage circuit is connected to a specially designed VariAmp
power circuit. This allows the output of the power stage to be continuously varied
from minimum output to maximum output."
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by steve108819

No you're wrong. Tube is in the POWER AMP.

That it would require top-notch digital technology plus a valve power amp capable of modeling the power amp sections of a ton of classic and modern valve amplifiers.

quoted straight from Vox's website.

EDIT: lol ianae you beat me to it
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Aug 16, 2009,
So basically what you guys are saying is, the vox vt15 isn't loud enough for some jamming with a drummer. Does the vt30 have a better sound or something? I need something like, it's got better sound quality or something like that to convince my financial backer.

because only the loudness isn't going to cut it for me..
Vox VT30
Quote by Young Mosaics
No not at all. I just bought a 30W one for bedroom use (the wattage control is useful). I brought it to a friends house to jam. The drums drowned it out so badly. Sadly, I think my friends Frontman 25W was louder.

Yep, I've got the 30 watt version of the ADVT series and the wattage control is REALLY useful, you get get it really quiet for bedroom practice, then when you need it loud, you can get it REALLY loud! The other day my sisters boyfriend dared me to turn it up as loud as possible in my room and i didn't even get it all the way but when i played a chord loads of dust blew off the amp, followed by serious feedback
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by ianae86
Wrong, YOU look it up. The VT series uses a 12ax7 preamp style tube that the power section passes through. This passing allows the amps dynamic to react more like a real all tube amp.

From the manual:
"The VT-series use Valve Reactor technology, and feature a power amp circuit containing
a 12AX7 (ECC83) dual triode valve (“vacuum tube&rdquo that would normally be
used in a preamp. This allows the amp to produce the true sound and feel of a bona
fide all valve (tube) amp.

Valve Reactor’s power stage is a miniature version of a true tube push/pull power
amp. It uses a 12AX7 tube (dual triode; in other words, two vacuum tubes in one), and
is similar to a true tube amp with an output transformer. Rather than connecting the
vacuum tube directly to a speaker via an output transformer, the signal is converted by
a virtual output transformer in which solid stage components emulate the output transformer,
and the final output stage circuit is connected to a specially designed VariAmp
power circuit. This allows the output of the power stage to be continuously varied
from minimum output to maximum output."

It's a pre-amp tube, not a power amp tube. What they say there is that it is put just in the power amp section, but it's still a pre-amp tube, don't let the website jargon fool you. There's a reason they can't call it an all-tube amp because if they could then they would. That tube doesn't function to power anything, it's just there to cause the variance that a real tube does to give the amp a "tube feel."

Bottom line, the amp is NOT fully tube powered, despite the tube being in the power section. So you're both right, to an extent.
My fellow band member has the 30W version of the older VT, and that easily goes over the drummer, and we thought that he played pretty hard on the drums. In my opinion, if you can't hear the 30w over the drums then your drummer must assault his kit, from my own experience.

But to answer your question, don't get the 15w, save for the 30w if you're sure you want the Vox.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Darkpagey
My fellow band member has the 30W version of the older VT, and that easily goes over the drummer, and we thought that he played pretty hard on the drums. In my opinion, if you can't hear the 30w over the drums then your drummer must assault his kit, from my own experience.

But to answer your question, don't get the 15w, save for the 30w if you're sure you want the Vox.

thanks, that helped. I can get the older VT series, AD30VT for 170, which is cheaper, does it sound crappier then the newer VT30? or are there just less fx?
Vox VT30
Go used, never mind the 'deal' 'cos for 180 you should find at least a 50w SS that WILL be okay over drums.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i think it can keep up with the drums.. i have a Vox Pathfinder 15R, 8" bulldog speaker.. i use it when we jam at our house.. we have a drummer and another guitarist running through a Marshall MG50.. it does keep up very well..

also, we had this sort of battle of the bands among organizations in our church and i brought my pathfinder for my personal use.. it was not mic'd or what, it was still loud enough to cut through the mix.. we had an audience of about 50-70 people.. all was good, imo.. try it out.. i don't know if the VT15 compares to the loudness of the pathfinder.. but thery're both 15 watters with both 8" speakers..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by darkravers009
thanks, that helped. I can get the older VT series, AD30VT for 170, which is cheaper, does it sound crappier then the newer VT30? or are there just less fx?

Get the new series, twice as many preset sounds as far as i can remember (22 as opposed to 11?) and the same for the effects. As someone said if you can go used, then go used, and that might mean that the 50W version would fit into your budget which would then be loud enough for most situations if there is no PA.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Darkpagey
Get the new series, twice as many preset sounds as far as i can remember (22 as opposed to 11?) and the same for the effects. As someone said if you can go used, then go used, and that might mean that the 50W version would fit into your budget which would then be loud enough for most situations if there is no PA.

Yep 22 amp models. Plus to me, the modeling sounds slightly more organic then the older series. Maybe I just didn't play with the EQ enough on the AD's but I'm really happy with my VT.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
The older series sounds perhaps not as good as the newer series. It sounds well enough for the used price it goes for though.
My Roland 15x could keep up with a relatively quiet drummer, so it should be okay.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!