Just bought a set of dean markely jazz strings .13-.54 http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Electric/NickelSteelEl.shtml the ones that are labled JZ
towards the bottom of six string. Was jus using regulars or .46s before that using either drop c or d. I thought it'd be ok since im using drop A atm. Two problems though, 1. The .54 won't fit in the nut and 2. It feels like a massive increase in tension on the neck, like worryingly tight.

I was mainly wondering if this could bow or even snap the neck on the guitar.

It's a schecter c-1 classic btw and cost me about £500 to get it shipped from america so I do not have the money to buy a replacement any time in the near or distant future.
it wont snap the neck, but it will cut into the nut and cause a lot of buzz you wont be able to get rid of, if you dont file the cut correctly.

also if you do file for this gauge, you cant go back to a lower gauge without massive buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I stupidly put put .13-.56's in standard on my guitar, all it did was warped the neck... And they were insanely tight.

They should be fine drop A, though I'd go a gauge up, Should be almost perfect for Drop C though. It's what I was using for Drop C and D, so you should be good.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
it does feel incredibly tight for drop A though, then again i suppose that could be because i was used to the tension of drop c with regulars. In response to the first poster could leaving the nut as it is do any actual damage to it or will it just make that annoying ass buzz until i restring it.
the thick string might cut into the nut a little.

so that's up to you. you really dont want to alter the shape of the cut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
sh*t how damaging could it actually be say if i left the strings on for about 3 months.
If you're unlucky, problems could range from you need to get a new nut cut, to the neck being warped permanently and you having to get a whole new neck (or if that Schecter's got a set neck or neck-through construction, you'd have to get a whole new guitar).
If you're lucky, you might find nothing bad happens at all.

Personally though, I don't believe in taking the risk. Loosen the strings so they're below the normal tension of a set of say, .09-.42's in E Standard tuning. Don't take the strings off entirely because leaving the neck without strings could also do some damage if it's left for a long time. Just leave them on, but very, very loose.

Then take it to a decent store or luthier and tell them you want to get the guitar set up correctly for .13 strings, if you do indeed wish to stay with this gauge string. Let them do the neccissary nut and truss rod adjustments and you'll be good to go. It's the sort of thing that you could in theory do yourself, but if you adjust the truss rod incorrectly you could do far more damage than the strings would do (the truss rod can snap the neck clean in half) and nut filing has to be very precise too.

Alternatively of course, get a lighter guage of string.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.