I'm probably going to get flamed for this... haha

So I have a Standard MiM HSS Strat (Alder body, one piece maple neck and fretboard) and I play through a Peavey Classic 30 combo amp and I love to play pop-punk.

I got a Seymour Duncan JB pickup put into my Strat, and I actually really don't like it. It's wayy too trebly. I tried everything to make it sound better. I got it wired to a tone knob, and I backed off on the treble on my amp, but I just couldn't get the right tone from it.

So I'm thinking of putting in a Seymour Duncan Invader now, and replacing the 250k pots with 500k pots.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Invader. Some have told me that it was a "mud machine," while others have said that as long as I have it backed from the strings, and I don't have too much gain, it sounds great for pop-punk.

Is this true?
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
hook the pup up to a 250K pot. it'll work much better.

gahh, nm. i didnt read the rest of your post.

good luck.
edit: (try a smaller value pot)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
hook the pup up to a 250K pot. it'll work much better.

gahh, nm. i didnt read the rest of your post.

good luck.
edit: (try a smaller value pot)

I'm already hooked up to 250k pots and it isn't working out for me haha.
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
yeah my jb was so high treble.

adjust the pole pieces? go with a 25K pot?

honestly, i wouldnt bother wt an invader.
i found them to be muddy, and i wouldnt want you to make a bad decision worse.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The Invader is rather trebly to begin with. 250k pots will take out some of the highs, whereas 500k pots won't reduce them as much. I would think carefully before getting an Invader due to the fact that you already have a bright sounding guitar, cause of the wood it's made of.

That being said, I don't find them to be muddy, but I do feel they are pretty trebly.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Maybe check out a DiMarzio Tone Zone, or an Evolution?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I had an Invader in my MIJ Strat and it actually wasn't too bad. It wasn't hot enough for me though, which is odd, since it's suppsed to be pretty high output. To be honest though, I'd go with some DiMarzios. The ToneZone sounds great in a strat IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I posted a thread earlier complaining that I didn't have enough treble out of my DiMarzio ToneZone. Quality pickup with lots of definition but a bumped up bottom and rolled off treble, if that's what you want. Least that's the way I hear it.