Hey guys, this is my third song -- took me forever to complete. My last song was fairly Opeth-inspired, but I'm not necessarily hearing that influence so much in this one. I'm also a big fan of Dark Tranquillity and Katatonia. This one has a sad, spacey feeling.

I'm learning production and mixing techniques, and I spent a while recording and mixing this song. Some of the lead guitar parts are triple-tracked, for example. I thought that would give it a more epic sound

You can get the MP3 (which will usually stream in your browser) here by clicking on the image: http://www.miketuritzin.com/music/2009/08/original-stars-fall/

(I've also uploaded the song to my profile. It's called "Stars Fall.")

I would greatly appreciate any critiques and comments. And of course, I'll be happy to check out and comment on anything you've done.

Mike
Want to know how Bob Dylan, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, Metallica, Mastodon, Opeth, Emperor, Meshuggah (and many more) make music?
Check out my songwriting quotes page: http://miketuritzin.com/songwriting/
Right from the beginning this has an amazing, spacey feel to it. The song title is perfect.
The multitracking of the lead guitar gives it a really cool sound. And nice job recording that. Multitracking leads is such an annoying process. Around 2:20 when the octaves come in, it starts really building the energy, nice. The snare roll fits perfect. I'm digging the sound in the right speaker when all the instruments cut out except for the guitar. Nice job with the effects. Great mix. I actually don't care for 3:48 all that much. I really like melodies in songs and powerchords just dont do it for me. When the lead comes in, it's appreciated. Great ending.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm digging the sound in the right speaker when all the instruments cut out except for the guitar.

Thanks for your comments, guys. That sound you are talking about is one of the synth pads that comes with Logic 8. It's called "Atmospheric Artifacts," and it has a really spooky, interesting sound that I've grown a bit addicted to
Want to know how Bob Dylan, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, Metallica, Mastodon, Opeth, Emperor, Meshuggah (and many more) make music?
This is epic. The intro is very Pink Floyd-ish, and it flows nicely into a powerful outro.
Last edited by xHellbound at Aug 16, 2009,
Nice mood you've created here, very doomy melancholic sound. The first couple minutes actually reminded me alot of the band Ahab. If you've never hear of them I think you might enjoy them.
I really like your use of synths throughout the song, the pads you chose compliment the mood very well.
Nice build up at 2:40 ~ 3:00, that was very nicely done.
I love when all the instruments besides guitar cut out at 3:42, the riff that comes right after that is quite nice too, I like how the drums play a more prominent role there.
The guitar solo at the end reminded me a bit of David Gilmour, I think you have a tone very similar to his and just the overall feel of the solo makes me think pink floyd.
All of the instruments are sounding good, the mix sounds very good to me, though im no expert sound engineer.
Overall, I don't have many negatives for this song, very nice song was a pleasure to listen. I also checked out Eyes of the Moon on your profile which was very well done as well. I love the section at 4:48, really cool sound. Gotta say I don't like the fade out at the end though.
Anyway, nice songs and thanks for having a look at mine
TV-Casualty -- thanks for your detailed comments!

I have heard a few comparisons of my music to Pink Floyd, which is interesting because until recently I wasn't even that familiar with them (bought a couple of their hits a month ago). Maybe I have been influenced by bands they influenced.

Thanks for recommending Ahab. I just checked them out, and I like their music.

Glad you liked Eyes of the Moon as well. The fadeout may not have been the best choice of ending, but it's always an easy one
Really cool intro. Love the guitar arpeggios, and the leads over that, great mood to it, very Pink Floyd-ish. The buildup at a little more than halfway was awesome. The riffs and leads after that were also great. Overall this song has an awesome mood. Can't think of any bad things about it really lol. Great job!

Crit mine please? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184140
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
Quote by strikeyt
TV-Casualty -- thanks for your detailed comments!

I have heard a few comparisons of my music to Pink Floyd, which is interesting because until recently I wasn't even that familiar with them (bought a couple of their hits a month ago). Maybe I have been influenced by bands they influenced.

Thanks for recommending Ahab. I just checked them out, and I like their music.

Glad you liked Eyes of the Moon as well. The fadeout may not have been the best choice of ending, but it's always an easy one

No problm man I love coming on here and listening to other people's work. And yes you are probably right about being influenced by bands who were influenced by pink floyd, you mention opeth in the original post and it is easy to hear the pink floyd influence in some of mikael akerfledt's songwriting.
I'm glad you like Ahab as well, they are one of the few doom bands that i can actually enjoy
Sweet! it seemed more prog rock than metal though. I really like the different melodies mixing in and out.

Crit mine? (Alt-Metal song in my profile)
wow man. this is great. i like the mood this sets. the intro sounds great, and reminds me allot of pink floyd. verry spacey/trippy. the stars title is perfect for this. something ti listen to and just drift away and forget eveything else. well played. i like how it builds and then around 255 i goes back down. this is a very well written and played peace. i think its great. cant think of anything to improve on. great job.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183852
awesome **** dude, i can see it acting very well like some epic ending track. Can definitely hear the influences there especially katatonia and I also maybe a hint of daylight dies? anyway I loved it keep it up
Mate thanks for the crit, so sorry it took so long to get back to you.

WOW

I love this. This is MY kind of music. It goes places, ebs and flows perfectly from place to place and actually feels like it has a point and purpose, as well as oustanding structure. Simple in it's ways I suppose, but elegant. Drums sound fantastic, are you playing them? the guitar has brilliant tone and everything fits in its right place.

I'm going to listen to it again.

haha cheers
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
You'll really want to listen to "The Misshapen Steed" by Agalloch. This song reminds me of alot of their work.
Glad you like the song, guys. I'm hearing a lot of comparisons to Pink Floyd

gutsman: I checked out Daylight Dies, and I like 'em. They actually remind me a lot of this not-so-well-known Finnish band called Rapture (both are very influenced by Katatonia).

Hot Pants: Very happy to hear you like the song. Sounds like we have similar taste in music! I actually did play the drums ... on a MIDI keyboard I'm using EZDrummer, and it seems like you can get pretty convincing sounds if you play things yourself and don't program in the beats with a mouse.

Donswald: I actually do own the album that "The Misshapen Steed" is on, and I like that song.