I found out that a local Community College (Pierce College in Woodland Hills, CA) has Beginning Guitar classes. It's a once/week, 1 hr lecture and 2 hr performing sessions. The two teachers running the class are John Schneider and Ron Anthony. I sent an email to John for further info, and I'll post the updates.

Course Desc:
Concerns beginning guitar skills with emphasis on learning to read music on the guitar, up to the fifth fret for the left hand. Right hand technique will be finger, and pick oriented; and the course is a perfect introduction to either classical, commercial, or folk guitar playing.

For you UG peeps, what do you think are the pros and cons of taking a college course compared to a private teacher. For me, the cost aspect can't be beat; I'm trying out a month of private lessons that cost me $30 for weekly half hour lessons. Meanwhile the college charges $26/unit, 2 units of a semester = $52. But that's before the administration process of admission into the school itself.

I tried looking for Music courses in my school, UCLA, but students have to pass a musical knowledge exam to get in..which I don't think I can.
Last edited by lildre at Aug 15, 2009,
i actually just signed up for a Jazz improv class (to be hoenst no damn idea what will be covered but they play jazz with guitar, i have one, said screw it)

and im taking lessons

overall a set curriculum is best, but you can get this both places

but to be honest your guitar teacher that you are paying sure ass hell wont give you an F, not to mention it has no weight on a record
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
i actually just signed up for a Jazz improv class (to be hoenst no damn idea what will be covered but they play jazz with guitar, i have one, said screw it)

and im taking lessons

overall a set curriculum is best, but you can get this both places

but to be honest your guitar teacher that you are paying sure ass hell wont give you an F, not to mention it has no weight on a record

hey i used to live in the valley and if u want lessons u should try Kayes Music Store its on Tampa and Victory in loehman's plaza
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by metal_shredder0
hey i used to live in the valley and if u want lessons u should try Kayes Music Store its on Tampa and Victory in loehman's plaza

I go to Johny Thompson
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Currently I'm taking lessons from Gerard's Guitars, right by Tampa and Ventura. He also did the setup of my guitar. I'll definitely look into the places you mentioned. Thanks

This question is a little off topic, but how do you pick the best teachers? Obviously there are a lot of teachers in a given area, and they tend to charge pretty much the same. Is it all right to "shop" for teachers, e.g. trying them one month at a time, or is it better to stick to one. You know, trying to avoid getting multiple chefs cooking one dish, so to speak.
Last edited by lildre at Aug 16, 2009,
Ask them if they have specialized teachers for specific genres, like if you're into metal, you can ask for someone specialized in teaching/playing metal. thats what i did when i moved to burbank and the teacher i got is great
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak