I've been thinking, I like my electric guitar (See sig) and like rock music but find it really boring sitting in my room playing metal riffs with no band or anything. The problem is no one around where I live wants to start a band so I'm stuck. I've been thinking of selling my guitar and amp and getting an acoustic that way I could play more Celtic music/acoustic rock which doesn't need a band or anything. So, any opinions on this idea? Do the shallow ovation acoustics sound good?

thanks.
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Aug 15, 2009,
just save up so you can do both.

i have a shallow bowl ovation, and it sounds alright. it has a laminate top, so it doesn't seem to breath as freely as a solid spruce/mahogany/etc top. the tone is decent enough though, but i like the solid ovations a lot better.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
You could just save up, keep your electric just in case, and get an acoustic.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I say save up too. And you should maybe compose your own music and record it. Use fruity loops or guitar pro for drums, a pitch shifting VST for bass, and start shredding over a rhythm track. It could be pretty awesome, just look at what Erock and Sora does.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
That's the problem, I'm saving for bagpipes right now ($1000+ dollars for a set) And don't have much expendable cash so if I keep the electric, for the foreseeable future I would not be getting an acoustic.

Do fruity loops or guitar pro cost a lot? (I'm really broke)
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Aug 15, 2009,
I think if you played a less popular instrument (keyboard or bass) it would be much easier to get into a band.
I think if you played a less popular instrument (keyboard or bass) it would be much easier to get into a band.

The problem is I'm the only person I know who plays any instrument at all, none of my friends do.
Quote by bagpipemetal
That's the problem, I'm saving for bagpipes right now ($1000+ dollars for a set) And don't have much expendable cash so if I keep the electric, for the foreseeable future I would not be getting an acoustic.

Do fruity loops or guitar pro cost a lot? (I'm really broke)

I wouldnt know, neither would most of the people on this forum
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by bagpipemetal
umm... okay?

Just download Reaper. Get a DI of some sort (Could get one cheap)
Get a program which makes drum beats, heck, or even download backing tracks online.

But you can use powertab to create a drum beat and you should be able to save it as a music file, import it into reaper, and play along.

Try to get guitar pro as the RSI's are superior IMO.

Ok, you have a POD, does it have recording features? If it does you dont need the DI.

Your practically set. And recording forces you to get better because you can hear what you do wrong and improve upon it easier than just playing.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Last edited by KiraIBZ at Aug 15, 2009,
The POD has line out which cant go into my computers line in.

I've recorded before (see Chicken death on my profile and I've others songs also) but I'd rather play in a band or play acoustic stuff if I can't form a band.