Pretty much I'm lookin for a clean thump and rumble that can get past a drummer and two electrics in a classic rock jam session, weekly playing in a gymnasium setting, and general bedroom practice that will give me better sound than my Fender G-dec jr (read: crap).

BUT ANYWAY, my budget is $200 (US) and here's some options.

-I have heard good things from Acoustic, and their 50w (AB50) is quite appealing but reviews say it doesn't quite cut through in a band setting.

-The Warwick Blue Cab 30 is quite appealing in the fact that it's a warwick, and that it has an effects loop for my chorus pedal (which I love to use here and there)

-Peavey MAX 112 is also lookin good with the effects loop and this one I actually have the chance to play through (if the local music shop is ever open when I'm off work )

-Orange Crush 35B is appealing because it's orange and it's significantly cheaper on ebay, yet I will never have a chance to try it out til I buy it.

I'm playing a kit-bass from Grizzly Industrial (quite nice for the experience and $200 price tag) with 2 humbucking pickups (comparable to schecter, but not really considering price tag again).

Help with this decision would be much appreciated
here's what i think, personally. a 30-50W amp isn't going to be a whole lot louder against a drummer than your g-dec, trust me. you're looking at more like 100-200W if you need something that powerful. Also, $200 is a lot of money, why are you looking at brand new gear? you'll get a lot more for your money by buying used.
If your jamming at really low volume you'll be fine with any those (although i would chose the acoustic or the Peavey). However you might find yourself being drowned out. So my suggestion would be to save up some money and maybe look at the used market or a the Acoustic 200W combo.

EDIT: beat to it
Why did I not think of used? Wow...

The Acoustic 100W was something I was really thinking about, I just wasn't looking forward to going up and down 14 stairs every Sunday and Wednesday with a 75lb amp, which is why I figure one of these smaller amps would do as far as tonal satisfaction when practicing, and I could perhaps use a headphone out to go to the PA system we have and use at the church (gym) I play at.
Quote by Jerry.thewise
Why did I not think of used? Wow...

sorry, are you being sarcastic or what?
Last edited by budget bassist at Aug 15, 2009,
^I think he was commenting on his own brain fart, not being a sarcastic ass.

well, lightweight and cutting through isn't cheap. the AB50 is one heavy little box, that won't do ya. it is a nice amp, but it's not what you want.

what you want is a Markbass or something, for cheap. my advice, instead of trying to find something like that, is going on craigslist and agreeing to whatever deal is thrown at you. get 200+ watts and no Behringers. send a lot of inquiries out.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
^I think he was commenting on his own brain fart, not being a sarcastic ass.

yeah it's not incredibly easy to tell on here...
Quote by budget bassist
yeah it's not incredibly easy to tell on here...

assume the best. there are really very few retards out there who take the internet for granted.

and if he is one, Dan, Del, and Tam have ban-katanas set to slay.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yes I was commenting on a personal brain fart, pardon my stupidity for not thinking used in the 30 minutes it took me to check out amps on GC after deciding to really get one and post this thread.

Humanity: if you meant 'not what you want' as weight, I will settle with somethin heavy for the good sounds in bedroom practice; would the AB50 deliver?

Having played a couple markbass combos, that would be my dream amp, but with the hefty price I'm thinkin it's not logical for a first amp, at least new.

Checkin out craigslist for my local area and I'm finding that there's a big gap between the $250 and the $1200 price range... Fun.
it would- it would just be quiet with a drummer.

remember prices are negotiable. a friend of mine traded an 88 Music Man Stingray for 300 bucks and a flat screen tv.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

@Jerry.
Whats your Craigslist, maybe some of us can help you look.

At least 100w for a band setting. I played with double-bass-crash-china drummer and guitarist with Marshall halfstack with a 150w barely cutting it.
So far the AB50 is my best bet. The classic-rock-jam session may or may not be a go, and considering I'm off to college in a year I don't want to particularly blow it all on a 100-200W amp that I might not be able to take with.

Also, I'm noticing it has a line out-perfect for my weekly playing at church with a PA system.

Guess I didn't emphasize it that I don't get out much and am pretty much looking for some good bedroom practice sound. I appreciate the help to get me to look out for something bigger though.

EDIT: Memphis Craigslist
Last edited by Jerry.thewise at Aug 15, 2009,
yeah, i would definitely say more than 100w. I used to have a 100w ampeg combo, and that just couldn't cut it at band practice. I since upgraded to an ashdown stack which was much better.

That's a point, see if you can get an ashdown half stack, they're very cheap, say an electric blue or MAG head and just any generic 210 or 115 cab, it can be ashdown, but it doesn't have to. If you look around on craigslist, ebay or bass specific forums like talkbass, you will be able to pick up an absolute bargain of a second hand rig. I'm not too sure how it goes in the USA, but over here you could pick up a cheap cab for maybe £50 if you get a good deal and a cheap head for about £100, maybe less. I'm not sure but that probably equates roughly to $250, not factoring in the fact that gear is cheaper in america anyway.

Food for thought, definitely. Advantages for a cheap used stack:
generally more powerful
you could pick up a cheap one by getting the different bits (IE the head and cab) separate and finding the best deals
more upgradable. You want more speakers, buy more speakers. You need more power, buy a new head. You don't have to replace a whole rig.
easier to carry. I'd rather carry a head and a cab separate than a big combo.

Oh and FYI, i use this for my bedroom practice:
Last edited by budget bassist at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

The orange crush is clean but it can be tweaked to almost whatever tone you want, it's light and i'd definately reccomend it. It also doubles for a really nice guitar amp.

The acoustic is a nice amp but it's heavy for 50w and it doesn't do too bad cutting through but you'd probably boost mids and treble a bit.

Personally i'd got for the orange crush since orange is always loud and it's a tube amp (i'm pretty sure)
Quote by the humanity
Memphis sucks bro.

I've been saying that since I got here.

@budget bassist; I see your point in the cheapness of upgrading. I'll check out pawn shops when I'm not working, that will be the only place I can get to that would possibly have something like that.

@bass first: Thanks for stating your opinion on my original question, I may just fall back to that decision.
Quote by Bass First
The orange crush is clean but it can be tweaked to almost whatever tone you want, it's light and i'd definately reccomend it. It also doubles for a really nice guitar amp.

The acoustic is a nice amp but it's heavy for 50w and it doesn't do too bad cutting through but you'd probably boost mids and treble a bit.

Personally i'd got for the orange crush since orange is always loud and it's a tube amp (i'm pretty sure)

I'm sure it isn't...
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
EDITEDIT: oh boy am i wrong lolol

I've never really played a valve though
Last edited by Bass First at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Jerry.thewise

@budget bassist; I see your point in the cheapness of upgrading. I'll check out pawn shops when I'm not working, that will be the only place I can get to that would possibly have something like that.

Get on talkbass, the community there is huge and i guarantee there will be more bassists around you than you think. You should be able to find something within a reasonable distance, if not use ebay and get things posted.
Alright, thanks for your help man.

Found a nice hartke head on ebay I may bid on that after I check some pawn shops monday.