Ok, so I'm looking for a guitar that's extremely versatile. Beautiful clean tones, excellent distortion, great for progressive music. I have a budget of around 5-600 bucks.

-No floyd rose, no trems whatsoever.
-No les pauls.

Are telecasters versatile? I've been thinking of getting one of those and swappin the pups.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
You really killed it with the

-No Les Pauls

Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
I owned one, and while I know it's a great guitar for virtually any style, it just isn't what I want anymore. Too heavy, neck too thick for my taste (don't understand why... I have unusually large hands...)

The Legion
HSS strats are some of the most versatile guitars around. Great cleans on the neck single coil, great driven sound on the bridge humbucker. however, you said "no trems whatsoever" so thats out i guess.

normal (not floyd rose) trems really arent that hard to deal with, and at 500 bucks its right in your price range
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Last edited by bigreno at Aug 15, 2009,
id say some sort or stratocaster but the no trem thing is kinda in the way, why dont you want a trem?
Explain what you mean by 'progressive' music, because that can mean anything other than 'classical' or 'folk'.

However, as a general rule you're about to get told the following suggestions many times over:
- HSS Stratocaster and lock the bridge
- Thinline or Custom Telecaster
- Les Paul (you said no LPs but people won't listen)
- SGs
- Jaguar and lock the bridge
- PRS Custom 22
- Someone might risky being fancy and say a Firebird
- a lot of Ibanez RGs because people don't have a ****ing clue what 'versatile' truly means.

However, the last point does bring something up that it is worth you answering: there is no such thing as one guitar that can do 'everything'. You're always going to have to sacrifice something; with harder distortion comes worse cleans, with longer sustain usually comes heavy weight and less clarity, with more pickup/tone options usually comes cheaper build quality in your price bracket. You need to work out which aspects are the three or four most important features to you and go on them, rather than asking for simply everything. The more specific you can be, the easier it is for people to offer meaningful suggestions.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
SCHECTER

stop tail bridges, coil taps, sd pups. . .
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
I don't know how MIM Strats are, but the Tremolos on MIA Strats aren't bad at all at keeping in tune. Unless of course you do divebombs and dumb **** like that.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
I don't know how MIM Strats are, but the Tremolos on MIA Strats aren't bad at all at keeping in tune. Unless of course you do divebombs and dumb **** like that.

my mim strat stays in tune fine with moderate trem ussage (though i hardly ever use it )
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
first thing that popped in my head was the pgm 401 but when I saw your budget I guess not hahah
schecter is always good... they look nice, string through everything you want.. dunno how much they go for though... well the 6 strings at least haha
Probably a strat. If you really don't want a trem, just strap 5 springs on the back of the bridge and don't use the trem.
Schecter C-1 Artist, or a used C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by mikeYekim
Ok, so I'm looking for a guitar that's extremely versatile. Beautiful clean tones, excellent distortion, great for progressive music. I have a budget of around 5-600 bucks.

-No floyd rose, no trems whatsoever.
-No les pauls.

Are telecasters versatile? I've been thinking of getting one of those and swappin the pups.

so what you are looking for is the perfect f*cking guitar. Sorry man you really ain't going to get best of both worlds. A telecaster would be a good choice but you may not like the single coils. I suppose you could try a Tele Deluxe with 2 humbuckers.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
C-1 classic might fit exactly what I need. Beautiful fret markers too...

The Legion
only get a schecter if you get it with SD pickups, emgs are not versitile no matter what anyone says.
~Defiant~
Quote by mikeYekim
C-1 classic might fit exactly what I need. Beautiful fret markers too...

I dont think you'll regret it. You'd have to go used, but there are plenty on Ebay in great condition right about your price range. If you want a new guitar, you could just get an Artist. You sacrifice the top, fret inlays, and neckthru (for a set neck) but its only $600 new.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I'm looking at a MIM Standard HSS Strat because I'm tired of my POS Les Paul knock off. Played one yesterday at G.C. and it was extremely smooth.
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
You really killed it with the

-No Les Pauls

He actually killed it with his budget. Variax 700.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
would a 7 string provide the versatility I'm looking for? I'm looking at the RG7321 with some interest, an extra string could be really fun.

The Legion