Short story. I took guitar lessons about 15 years ago for a few months. About 4 months ago I was given a right handed Yamaha RG guitar but I'm a lefty player so after I realized I wanted to give the guitar a more serious attempt after a 15 year break, I got a cheap strat copy from ebay and passed the Yamaha to my roommate. The single coils hummed like crazy, so I replaced those with some GFS lil-killer rails, http://store.guitarfetish.com/casetof3lilk.html

Much better improvement, no buzz , but I wasn't happy as I wanted some thinner sounds from the guitar, so I ordered some DPDT on-on-on switches from ebay and installed 3 switches, 1 for each pickup. I wired them so they are series/parallel/coil split for each pickup. I also wired my middle pickup out of phase, and did my 5 way so it goes bridge, bridge + neck, neck, neck + middle out of phase and middle.

I also replaced one of my tone knobs with a killswitch, painted my headstock and spent hours shimming the neck and sanding the pocket to get rid of my fret buzz. I had to dremel out of my truss rod hole a bit as the crappy thing was too far in, so I have to make a cover for that, but other than that I'm happy now and for under $200 Canadian, I have a decent sounding guitar now that has a wealth of tone choices ( the bridge and middle in single coil mode and out of phase are hum cancelling and give me a great thin old bluesy tone.) At most of the music stores around here, I couldn't even gotten a used lefty squier for $200.

The only thing I realized I should have done is wired the bridge pickup so the split uses the bottom rail instead of the top rail so that in the bridge/neck single coil mode, they are hum cancelling as well, but wiring those 3 DPDT switches with 6 lugs each, lined up next to each other was enough and it was all back together by the time I realized so I left it for now.

I also screwed up drilling the hole for the locking washer on first DPDT switch. It was too far away and didn't reach, so I had to extend it, but you can only tell up close.

Anyways, here's some pics.

Kill switch and DPDT switches

New pickups

Painted headstock.

Completed guitar before the switches
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Aug 15, 2009,
Man,
That axe looks sweet. I'd love to hear some nice recordings of it in all pickup positions. If you ever get a chance, post something. Anyways, how do you like the pickups? I was looking at some Seymour Duncan Rails for my Strat but am not sure I want to fully commit yet. Like I said, awesome mods and sweet looking guitar, especially the headstock.

lank
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
Awesome job, man.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I will do a few recording to show the difference. Take one of the 8 licks I know and play it in all pickup positions and configs. lol.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by rootbeerjuice
I think my friend had a guitar from that same company...it wasn't bad, even had a body not made out of plywood/agathis.

Nice mods! I like the look of the rails on that guitar. How difficult was this for you to do?

Its actually a solid wood. 2 piece body it looks like, but it blends pretty good. The wiring wasn't too hard, just following colors and such. Working with the small points can be a pain for someone who doesn't do a lot of soldering but I've probably installed over 2000 modchips in consoles over the years and some of those points in a PS2 make this seem easy. This was my first guitar wiring job, but lots of reading here -- http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm helped me understand what the switches were actually doing and how the wiring path flows, etc. Also, asked a few questions in the ultimate wiring thread that SomeoneYouKnew (resident guru apparently) helped me with.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Yeah, SYK knows everything
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.