Okay so I wanna be as prepared for college auditions as I can. I have to learn 3 bass songs (just bass no accompaniment) of different styles. Any suggestions? I already have 1 song and its Portrait Of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius, so any other ideas would be a big help. Thanks
Slap bass is one. Blues, and something metal.

....and happy birthday? Or maybe the Funeral March and dedicate it to Les Paul.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I'd say maybe some Bach or Vivaldi, or Weather Top, maybe some Victor Wooten or Jeff Berlin would work, nothing to BR00T4LZZ though IMO

Actually, what type of college are you talking about? UK (16+) or USA (Degree level)? Because I got into a UK college playing Megadeth (with a little improv after)
Last edited by higgins666 at Aug 15, 2009,
Something that shows off what you do best, maybe? I wouldn't know, but still, seems like a good idea.
as long as u can read well i doubt they'll care what you play. my teacher has been in cuba the last 3 weeks, but with my reading abilities i'm fine.
Something by Victor Wooten would probably be insane, but if you have the skill level to pull it off, then go for it!
Try something like Superstition by Stevie Wonder, get yo funk on.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
If you want something to contrast what you've already done with Jaco, try Bach's cello suites. If you care for something very challenging then look at Suite No. 6's Gigue. The standard one to learn first though is Suite No. 1's Prelude.
I got into Berklee auditioning with Country Music by Stuart Hamm.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I like Happy Birthday. it's really fun to jam off of.

I saw someone using a 6 string play a super low version of Scuttle Buttin by Stevie Ray, it was pretty cool.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Play to your strengths. If you can bust some mean slap, do some wooten. Got a fast left hand? Try some billy sheehan stuff. Improv would go down well.
^ I'm going to agree about playing to your strengths but disagree about improv. The judges will want something they can go against, most places require you to bring written music of what you're playing.

Playing to your strengths is very important tho. You don't want to show them what you're bad at. Don't give them a reason to pass on you.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
If you can do portrait of Tracy 100% correct, you should be able to get in anywhere just fine whether they ask for more audition pieces or not.

But nonetheless, do varied things. You have your jazz fusion covered, do a baroque piece and a classical piece if you can.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I plan on doing Teen Town, maybe you could consider it?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Wait...utbdan got unmodded? where was i???

Anywho to ts, Portrait of Tracy is good, you definitely want to do a classical piece, boring or not most colleges would rather listen to that than wooten or sheehan...notice I say most there are some exceptions. And Motown is a fairly good choice for a third type it shows you're balanced as a player and are open to various types of music. Just make sure the Motown you're doing is decently hard, and has a nice groove and you'll be fine.