I listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, etc.

By the recommendation of my guitar teacher, there are several classic rock bands that I missed out on. Considering what I listen to, can you guys give me a list of songs and albums that I ought to try? Don't give me just the band name, because EVERY BAND has a crappy album or two since they all go through a crappy phase.

I already listened to a few of these songs/albums:

2112- Rush
Truth- Jeff Beck
Layla, Crossroads, Cocaine - Eric Clapton
A Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin songs
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
American Woman - The Guess Who
Manic Depression - Jimi Hendrix
Drowned - Pete Townshend(acoustic, live)
I forgot the rest...

I would prefer it if the songs were recommended by a fellow metalhead. I also listen to shredders(Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Steve Vai, etc.), so I would also like songs that have strong emphasis on guitars. Instrumentals are also good.

Thanks!
Most electric stuff by Neil young. Tonight's the Night is one of my favourties, but his more popular albums are Rust Never Sleeps and Everybody Knows this is Nowhere. if you don;t want to listen to whole albums, here are his more "metaly" songs:
Down by the River
Hey Hey My My
Cortez the Killer
Cinnamon Girl
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
depends if u think of black sabbath as a classic rock band then them also alot of songs by the who
Originally Posted by TeenBite
Pfft, you all with your big shredding solos. I just play pinch harmonics, then play the same note again without a pinch harmonic. Everyone is like "teh fook?!".
Alcatrazz - Too Young to die, Too drunk to live

It pwns everything ever made

ever

in the history of the world

EVER
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Milaneus
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction.

thats not really classic, and everyone knows that already. no help.
Deep Purple - Machine Head

I have a feeling you'll like Ritchie Blackmore's style
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Queen: Queen I, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack
Deep Purple: Machine Head (EDIT: Damn, someone beat me to it.)
Any Judas Priest album. They didn't go through a crap phase.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Anything from Wetton/Bruford/Cross era of King Crimson... so you're looking at Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, and Red for albums. There's a few softer numbers in there, but a lot of pretty heavy stuff.

First Utterance, by Comus, is folky but dark, and was apparently a big influence on Opeth.

Rocks by Aerosmith is a pretty fun album.

For some hot guitar stuff, you might want to check out Mahogany Rush (and guitarist Frank Marino).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
April Wine.

Could've been a Lady
Oowatanite
Sign of the Gypsy Queen
21st century schizoid man (cover)
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Dethonator
I listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, etc.

By the recommendation of my guitar teacher, there are several classic rock bands that I missed out on. Considering what I listen to, can you guys give me a list of songs and albums that I ought to try? Don't give me just the band name, because EVERY BAND has a crappy album or two since they all go through a crappy phase.

I already listened to a few of these songs/albums:

2112- Rush
Truth- Jeff Beck
Layla, Crossroads, Cocaine - Eric Clapton
A Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin songs
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
American Woman - The Guess Who
Manic Depression - Jimi Hendrix
Drowned - Pete Townshend(acoustic, live)
I forgot the rest...

I would prefer it if the songs were recommended by a fellow metalhead. I also listen to shredders(Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Steve Vai, etc.), so I would also like songs that have strong emphasis on guitars. Instrumentals are also good.

Thanks!

icwatudidthar
RUSH - La Villa Strangiato, The Main Monkey Business
Steve Morse - TuMeni Notes
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Toys In the Attic, Rocks and Draw the Line by Aerosmith, check out the rif***e on Rats In the Cellar and Draw the Line. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Powerage and Highway to Hell by ACDC. Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy
Pick up Dark Side of the Moon. No questions asked. Try getting a live Grateful Dead album, like Dick's Pick's Vol. 18, Two From the Vault or Live Dead. Some solid guitar playing there. You won't find what you're looking for on their studio albums.

Beggar's Banquet by the Stones. or Let it Bleed, or Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

Permanent Waves by Rush is a ridiculous album.

Abraxas by Santana has some excellent playing. Listen to Samba Pa Ti.

Blind Faith's album.

Astral Weeks and Moondance by Van Morrison are both excellent collections of songs. If you can't enjoy Moondance all the way through, there's something wrong with you.

Hope this helps, bud. I used to listen to a shit-ton of metal.
Live & Dangerous - Thin Lizzy (massive influence on Megadeth, Metallica & Mastodon)

Also, I second the shouts for Rocks by Aerosmith, amazing album.
Quote by Chungavelli
You've just signed your ass over to me.

And i'm slightly gay at the moment.

Make Poverty History? No.
Britain has a bigger problem, you know them well.
MAKE CHAVS HISTORY
Britain deserves better!
PM Draken to join
Guns N Roses - Every Album before the spaghetti incident
Slash's Snakepit - Its 5oclock somewhere
Black Sabbath - Live Evil
Rolling Stones - 40 licks
The Kinks - You really got me (Greatest hits)
Aerosmith - Devils got a new disguise (greatest hits)
Led Zeppelin - Mothership

Greatest hits and live albums will give you a feel for the band to see if youd buy the rest of they're stuff
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
get Black Sabbath's self titled album.
know where metal started.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
any led zeppelin (all of they're albums were good IMO but look for led zeppelin II)
any jimi hendrix (all great albums IMO)
Bostons self titled album
bad company's self titled album
cream - wheels of fire is good
this was is iffy for what you might want but the doors self titled is a good one
pink floyd - darkside of the moon
Check out the album Rising by Rainbow. I think the whole thing is fantastic and very energetic.
If they into progressive or more complex metal, I recommend DSOTM by Pink Floyd.