i have a squire strat with a sd invader in the bridge and i take pretty good care of it suddenly just stopped working. i keep my guitar always plugged into my amp even when the amp is off and one day i turned on my amp and my guitar wouldnt play through my amp. i turned up all of the knobs on my amp and my gutiar and still nothing. i moved the chord plugged into my guitar up and down and it would play slightly if i got it just in the right place but otherwise it wouldnt work. i thought it was the chord so i grabbed my other strat and plugged that in and it played perfectly. i really like this strat and it was 300 dollars so its a pretty high brow squire strat. i just want to know if anyone knows what is wrong with it
probably a loose input jack, or loose wiring or sumthing
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
ive noticed that playing strats that when the screw thing at the input jack is loose where the chord goes in it doesnt work but i tightened it and it still doesnt work
Im not quite sure how it all works, but could there have been a power surge? Though I'm not sure how this would just affect your guitar and now your amp.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Don't leave your cable plugged into your guitar. That's one way **** gets broken. And look, it has.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Don't leave your cable plugged into your guitar. That's one way **** gets broken. And look, it has.

This, sort of. What he was trying to say was leaving your guitar plugged in can mess up the jack, especially if you leave it leaning on something that stressed the jack. I almost ruined the jack for my BC Rich by sitting on the ground playing it all the time because it was pushing against the ground and putting major stress on it.

EDIT: It can be either, you either messed up the jack or the cable itself. Either problem can be fixed in a few minutes with some minor soldering knowledge.
Quote by Koshman32

Isn't leaving it in and not bothering it a lot better than constantly going in, out, in, out, in, out...
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by zchavez09
so are you saying its the guitar or cable?

Take your guess. You can change guitars and keep the same cable and the other guitar works perfectly. You move the cable around the input jack on the non-working guitar and it works only in certain spots. Yup, I'd say it's your cable.

Edit: I'm being sarcastic if you can't tell.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by Koshman32
Take your guess. You can change guitars and keep the same cable and the other guitar works perfectly. You move the cable around the input jack on the non-working guitar and it works only in certain spots. Yup, I'd say it's your cable.

Edit: I'm being sarcastic if you can't tell.

k asshole dont be a jerk to him he just wants to know, but yeah its your input jack
Last edited by CarryMeHome at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by larrytheguitar
Isn't leaving it in and not bothering it a lot better than constantly going in, out, in, out, in, out...

Depends. If you have active pickups then unplug it when you're done or else the battery will drain faster. If you have passive then you can leave it plugged in as long as you're not resting it on the ground or something that puts presure on the jack. Best plan is to unplug it. Cause you could trip or catch something on the cable which pulls on the guitar or amp, and damages something.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
guitars don't have input jacks, why would they have input jacks?
Quote by Issor

Well technically they do, in a sense. Since the cable can send an audio signal either way, if you were to hook a powered speaker up to the jack on the guitar, and plug the other end of the cable into something sending audio, you'll hear the sound.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Issor

Output jack...w/e. JACK.
Quote by Issor

I've been wondering what the correct term was for ages...
I just say input jack cause that's what everyone else says. Even though it's technically wrong...
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
It's not technically wrong, it's just wrong. Output jack, people.

It could be used to send input, but you can't really call it that considering a guitar can't do anything with input.
Quote by Issor
It's not technically wrong, it's just wrong. Output jack, people.

It could be used to send input, but you can't really call it that considering a guitar can't do anything with input.

Umm...if a guitar can't do anything with input, then what the **** are the pickups for?

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.
All in good fun.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
Umm...if a guitar can't do anything with input, then what the **** are the pickups for?

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.
All in good fun.

Ah, ****

well I suppose I did set myself up for that one, haha.

(of course I'm sure someone will read this thinking we're talking about input from the jack...)
confused.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Go to your guitar shop and ask for them to put a new jack in your strat (the one that's not working, not the other).

I personally recommend a jack made of Unobtainium, they are much more durable than the regular metal ones and they can work both as input and output jacks
Cort G254
Software Amp Modeler
so couldnt i just take the jack off of the one that works and put it on the one that doesnt?
Quote by zchavez09
so couldnt i just take the jack off of the one that works and put it on the one that doesnt?

that's just a waste of a guitar and time. Just put a new one on. First check to see if all the wires are connected properly. Or the the jack might just be bent a little inside so it's not connecting to the cable properly
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings