Ok so whenever i am using pentatonic or the harmonic minor for leads i can never make it sound like a metal solo.

I can make it sound blues/hard rock
I can make it sound spanish/middle eastern
I can make like a slow/softer solo sound good

But i can never make it sound like most metal guitarists do.

I dont know what the problem is

Any help?
First make sure you have distortion on for sure.

Then listen to some of your favorite metal solos, and listen to what techniques they use, and try to incorporate thos into your playing.

Also I usually don't play metal but I'm prettyt sure most metal solo are fast and not slow.

Well that's my two cents.
Where's Waldo?

yay
use diatonic scales. like the major, or minor, or the modes, or harmonic, or melodic... ect. also studie some metal solos and arpegios and stuff.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Aug 15, 2009,
It's not all about the scales you use though.

You have to learn the techniques they use in metal - I don't play metal, but say for instance, for the spanish feel you say you can do, I'm assuming you'd use a lot of hammer-ons and pull offs, right?
Because that's what really gives it the feel.

Learn some playing techniques which are commonly used in metal, and apply those to your solos.
Quote by selibucaz
use diatonic scales. like the major, or minor, or the modes, or harmonic, or melodic... ect. also studie some metal solos and arpegios and stuff.

Don't worry about the modes for now...
Quote by King Turi
It's not all about the scales you use though.

You have to learn the techniques they use in metal - I don't play metal, but say for instance, for the spanish feel you say you can do, I'm assuming you'd use a lot of hammer-ons and pull offs, right?
Because that's what really gives it the feel.

Learn some playing techniques which are commonly used in metal, and apply those to your solos.

Yes i forgot about feel also. its mostly based on feel.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Quote by King Turi
hammer-ons and pull offs, right?
Because that's what really gives it the feel

Ya i do that a lot

But that's like my style of playing but i play metal mostly.
So usually i mix that style with the metal riffs/chords

Is that bad?
Quote by selibucaz
Yes i forgot about feel also. its mostly based on feel.

Its mostly based on phrasing and intervals. The rhythm guitar under a solo is very important to give it the sound you hope to achieve.
Quote by bobthebum16
Ya i do that a lot

But that's like my style of playing but i play metal mostly.
So usually i mix that style with the metal riffs/chords

Is that bad?

No, it's good, since you want your playing to be just that - your playing.
Not you impersonating another player.

Make some backing tracks with the chord progressions you want to solo over, and practice.
Speed. Most Metal lead playing is considered Shred, which requires you to play at high speeds. I'm assuming you're at least aware of speed picking techniques? Alternate and economy picking and sweeping? Playing fast runs will require that. Now, if you're saying you're already familiar with these techniques, and it's just the FEEL you're having problems with, then, I'd suggest looking up some video lessons of the guitarists you like, examining the kinda licks they use, and incorporating them in to your repartoir. Then make up some of your own using them as a basis, and work from there.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips