hey guys

I was using my bass cab today and when i was playing what looked like the rim of one of the speakers started to glow orange. My drummer said it was every speaker(out of a 4x10)

I checked the speaker and it wasn't hot, it didn't give off any strange odor. Nothing SEEMED wrong.

have any of you guys ever heard of this?
The answer SEEMS obvious.

Aliens.

On a more serious note, you sure it wasn't just some strange lighting reflecting off the speaker?
ah i thought this was the billy mays stuff ha
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I second the reflection theory. It might be swamp gas blah blah weather baloon...

What kind of cab is it?
so if you guys were me lets say

would you be worried or would you investigate more?
I have no idea what exactly it is but it's happened in my 4x10 too. I had the volume up really really high on the amp and I had it very high on my fuzz pedal and I didnt realize the amp was on so I plugged my bass into my fuzz pedal. The sound of the cable being plugged in caused a huge hiss and my speakers all lit up. It's been perfectly fine since then though.
I would play it at your house for an hour. if it glows there, you have a problem. if you don't, you simply achieved the well desired orange note!!!!!

wait, it wasn't orange...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I think (don't quote me on this)

Your cab uses a lightbulb as a fuse (quite smart actually) It'll blow up like a normal fuse if you push your cab too far but as an added bonus the light will light up just before blowing point. Another good thing about the lightbulb is that it gets rid of excess energy in the form of heat & light.
If your lighting up the light reguarly then your walking a very fine line.

EDIT: oh and i think it all ties in to the horn somehow
Last edited by Bass First at Aug 15, 2009,
^ where did you get this information? I may be right, I may be wrong, but that sounds like bovine excrement to me. I'll ask some Jimmers, they know this kinda thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

hmm. turn down a little just in case...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

The light bulb thing makes the most sence. speakers don't just glow orange. or get hot. or anything like that.

But i've never heard of lamps being used as fuses. to get it to light, you'd need 6v across the terminals. fuses are always placed in series with the neutral wire from the mains. neutral=no voltage running thru it. mains=120v (or 230v). you'd need a whole seperate tap on the PT for a lamp (see: tube amps). Even then, they don't act as fuses.
so the most likely scenario would be lighting illusions, Jim?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Jim? in bass forum?

EDIT: Quick google of "Ampeg SVT 410HLF glow" turns up a whole bunch of glowing speaker problems.
Last edited by Bass First at Aug 16, 2009,
bass first,
Quote by the humanity
^ where did you get this information? I may be right, I may be wrong, but that sounds like bovine excrement to me. I'll ask some Jimmers, they know this kinda thing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

It's for the tweeter, I think.

Lamps have indeed been used as loudspeaker protection, but it's not quite a fuse. What happens is that when you run too much power through the bulb, the filament heats up and increases the resistance. The more power goes through it, the more resistance it has, so it attenuates the peaks of the signal. It acts a lot like a compressor, really.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Bass First
Jim? in bass forum?

EDIT: Quick google of "Ampeg SVT 410HLF glow" turns up a whole bunch of glowing speaker problems.

I looked at the other guy who had the problem.

Strangely enough, he was ALSO using the sansamp Bass Driver DI like I am.

Does anyone have any further insight on this? Im only using a 300W head.....

cabs peak is 1000W,rated at 500W
Quote by the humanity
I would play it at your house for an hour. if it glows there, you have a problem. if you don't, you simply achieved the well desired orange note!!!!!

wait, it wasn't orange...

Sigged.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Invader Jim
The light bulb thing makes the most sence. speakers don't just glow orange. or get hot. or anything like that.

But i've never heard of lamps being used as fuses. to get it to light, you'd need 6v across the terminals. fuses are always placed in series with the neutral wire from the mains. neutral=no voltage running thru it. mains=120v (or 230v). you'd need a whole seperate tap on the PT for a lamp (see: tube amps). Even then, they don't act as fuses.
Low voltage bulbs have been used in crossovers as a protection to prevent blowing the horn whereas some use a relay that breaks and then re-makes when the power drops.
The disadvantage with the bulb method is that you have to get inside the cab to replace it.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You drummer is on LSD. He was probably meant to to say your what your playing sound like orange and he bungled his wordking.