Like.. let's say you play something on the 5th fret on the low E string. That's an A note and playing the open A string would be identical right? But you know how it's not... the same? Like if it's supposed to be on the 5th fret of the E string, and you play open A strings, it's the same note, but it's not the same you know?

I can't describe it. A perfectly tuned and intonated guitar, but still... there's something missing.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
i dont know if there is a term, but i know what you mean. the A note on the E string will sound bassier and fuller than playing an open A string.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
i find that it has a thicker sound with the e string or whatever, i'm sure theres a better way to describe it but to me it just sounds, thicker
i got them steamrolfer blues
yeah, the timbre of the note. it's the same note but the "texture" of it is different

edit: and if you're learning a new term today, don't say "tim-ber", ... but "tam-ber" haha
Playing the same note on a lower string will add bass to the tone, regardless of whether the other is played on an open string or fretted. The timbre is different as others have said the note however, isn't.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by identityxcrysis
I believe it's called timbre?
Yup. Thicker string tend to sound bassier, even at the same frequency. Play 12th fret on the E on a bass and compare it to the open 6th string on a guitar. Same note, different timbre.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Yup. Thicker string tend to sound bassier, even at the same frequency. Play 12th fret on the E on a bass and compare it to the open 6th string on a guitar. Same note, different timbre.

... Is timbre pronounced like the wood, timber? Haha.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar

Already answered. Its pronounced Tam not tim.
Quote by larrytheguitar

No, it's actually pronounced like "tamber" I don't know why it is, but I learned this from talking with a TA in my Music Appreciation class last year and finding out I was sounding stupid saying "timber" the whole time.
it's not pronounced like tamber, that's an americanisation, and as such only really holds if you live in the states. I pronounce it the way the french would (considering it's a french word; this might be considered pretentious ).

the other thing is, the american pronunciation of the letter "a" isn't actually a million miles away from how the french would pronounce the letter "i" in that word; it's not exact, but it's a lot closer than how english people (especially southern english with the elongated "a" sound from the vowel shift), or scottish, irish etc. would pronounce it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/timbre

"Fr. taN-br^uh"

there's no real english equivalent of how the french pronounce it, unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 16, 2009,
i feel so educated reading this
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
This reminds me of another thread...

*Cough*5th fret thread*cough*
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

I could kick you in the stomach
And catch you unawares
I could swear to God you accidentally
Fell that flight of stairs