Page 1 of 2
im looking for a pickup that can help me achieve the brown sound hes famously known for. i have seen multiple options but i want the closest possible match to his original pickup. If someone can provide a link i would be happy. thanks
Quote by culkid
im looking for a pickup that can help me achieve the brown sound hes famously known for. i have seen multiple options but i want the closest possible match to his original pickup. If someone can provide a link i would be happy. thanks

it wasn't just his pickups, it was the amp and his effects that made the sound, and his technique.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']it wasn't just his pickups, it was the amp and his effects that made the sound, and his technique.

i know, i just want to know what pickups he was using
at guitar center they sell the actually EVH pickups. I dun have a link...but you can find em at the guitar center website....they are about 130 bucks a pop....but eddie approves of em.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
at guitar center they sell the actually EVH pickups. I dun have a link...but you can find em at the guitar center website....they are about 130 bucks a pop....but eddie approves of em.

what are they called? i checked at my guitar center and didnt see them
Quote by culkid
looking to spend more toward the line of 500 to 1000 $

thanks for the link. is that the one they use in his ridiculously over prices 25,000 dollar replica?

that and also in the EVH Wolfgang, I think. possibly not, but idk.
Where do you live I must ask?

And most of all what amp are you using?

The original pickup Eddie used was an old PAF from a ES335.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by culkid

You don't need a pickup, you need an amp.

With the right amp you can get a decent approximation of the brown sound with any PAF type pickup, just be aware that he has one of the most sought after tones ever, and the way he achieved it is difficult to replicate. With the right amp the right pickup may get you even closer, but without it the pickup won't make a blind bit of difference.

He used his plexi as a preamp, ran a line out through his effects which then went into a power amp, the actual output was hooked up to a dummy load. He also split his signal and half running with reverb abd half dry, that's how he got it to sound so "big".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Gabel
Where do you live I must ask?

And most of all what amp are you using?

The original pickup Eddie used was an old PAF from a ES335.

I read that he used a vintage Mighty Mite #1400.
Here's where I found it:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154289
I bought one on ebay a while ago for $40, the seller thought it was an old Dimarzio.
Sounds awesome.
EDIT: Not that just that alone will make you sound anything like Eddie
Oh yay, another one of these threads.

While I could just say "gear won't make all the difference in the world, you need to develop your technique to get his kind of sound first", I'll just help support what people are saying here.

You're going to want to find the pickups used in MM EVH's or the Wolfgangs. I think I might be wrong here, but the ones found in the wolfgangs are Custom Customs and they're great for attempting to get an EVH sound. The other half of the equation is the amp. Here's where it sort of gets difficult, because you can either decide to get a modeler to do all of the work for you or you can approximate Eddie's sound the real way by putting a plexi's preamp output to the dummy load and effects, A/Bing those effects (not sure how that's set up) and then putting it through to a poweramp.

Look here for more info, this guy who wrote the info is insane. Eddie Van Halen's rig and Tone techniques
Eddie used a vintage PAF humbucker. But that won't get you his sound, you need his technique, amps, cabs, guitar... well, everything
i think i read somewhere that right before he left duncan/kramer, he designed a pickup, but then duncan couldnt put his name on it so they called it the custom custom (sh-11 i think).

but as stated above, the amp is the biggest thing. as far as pickups go, u just need a mid heavy, moderate output humbucker.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Woozye
Eddie used a vintage PAF humbucker. But that won't get you his sound, you need his technique, amps, cabs, guitar... well, everything

Don't forget the Pick of Destiny
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Don't forget the Pick of Destiny
OH MY GOD YOUR BACK!!!!

To help the thread, an amp will help you get the tone a whole lot better, but if it is a specific pickup you are looking for, try the Custom Custom as previously recommended
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Don't forget the Pick of Destiny
i just saw that movie the other night! thank you, sir. you have brightened up my entire life.

EDIT: everyone's said it already: amps, technique, effects...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Aug 16, 2009,
Well...

I'll say this first, you'll never even get close without the right amp, a vintage Marshall or something that does a good vintage Marshall impression (ie. a clone or amp that uses plexis as their platforms) and right speakers (g12m-25 speakers are absolutely critical for this).

To be perfectly, any PAF style pickup w/ an A2 magnet will get you there with the amp. EVH's tone is much more amp and speakers than pickups and guitar. I'd pass on the EVH brand pickup. Especially since you can buy a pickup w/ the exact same specs and wind as Eddie's original from the same person who rewound Eddie's pickup. It's basically a hotter PAF style pickup (not actually a hot pickup, just hot considering it's a PAF style pickup) w/ an A2 magnet. And the A2 magnet is important as it's one of things that helps you get that softer, squishier, blooming top end that you hear in EVH's tone. You can get, just call MJ at the Seymour Duncan custom shop and ask for the '78.
Which era of VH do you want? The original from VH1? You gotta decide cause his tone changed throughout his career. Seymour Duncan makes as close of a replica to Ed's original pup from his black and white Frankie as you can get available through their Custom Shop. Seymour had access to Ed's pup back in the 70's so there is no guessing. Its called the '78 model. I have it, its awesome and my favourite pickup but you're nuts if you think you'll get your brown sound just from that trust me. Its a representation of how the pup was during that time. Those new ones that they sell under the EVH name is a representation of how the pup is today. People don't realize that. The '78 model is 9.1k, the EVH one (not the one in his new Wolfgang) is 14K i believe so it must of been rewound again during its life and has a degaussed A2 magnet cause of the age of the original one.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i use a Traynor YCV-50 and it gives me a good marshally sound already, i just need that pick up
No, if you want that classic vintage VH tone, you need a low output pickup w/ A2. Not a high output pickup with A5s, the JB will be much too bright and have too much of a stiff edge for what you want. I love how two consecutive responses about VH's rewound PAF go ignored...

The Traynor does an ok job at the Marshall thing, but, if you want to get close enough to where pickups will be the difference between a good "early Van Halen-esque tone" and "THE early Van Halen tone," you need the plexi or plexi-style amp and you need them with greenbacks. There are just a few qualities of a plexi amp in it's response with the way it pushes greenback speakers that will just not be replicated by an amp that has a Marshall-esque voicing. Anyone who has played a cranked Marshall plexi type amp will tell you that it has a very very particular type of player response.

If you really want to nail down the sound enough where getting the right pickups will give you that last 5%, you can't do it without the plexi.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by al112987
No, if you want that classic vintage VH tone, you need a low output pickup w/ A2. Not a high output pickup with A5s, the JB will be much too bright and have too much of a stiff edge for what you want. I love how two consecutive responses about VH's rewound PAF go ignored...

The Traynor does an ok job at the Marshall thing, but, if you want to get close enough to where pickups will be the difference between a good "early Van Halen-esque tone" and "THE early Van Halen tone," you need the plexi or plexi-style amp and you need them with greenbacks. There are just a few qualities of a plexi amp in it's response with the way it pushes greenback speakers that will just not be replicated by an amp that has a Marshall-esque voicing. Anyone who has played a cranked Marshall plexi type amp will tell you that it has a very very particular type of player response.

If you really want to nail down the sound enough where getting the right pickups will give you that last 5%, you can't do it without the plexi.

i do see everyone mentioning PAF's, but no one links them and i have searched google and have only come up with the history of PAFs.
both me and dsotm80 mentioned the Seymour Duncan '78, which is the same wind that Seymour did for Eddie's PAF back in the late '70s.
I know everyone here is going on about how you need everything but we could do with knowing which or what songs you want to sound like? EVH's tone changed quite heavily throught out his career, if you are looking for the unchained tone try the MXR EVH Flange pedal. If not then i can't offer anymore help.
Legend.
Quote by Lord_Westwood
I know everyone here is going on about how you need everything but we could do with knowing which or what songs you want to sound like? EVH's tone changed quite heavily throught out his career, if you are looking for the unchained tone try the MXR EVH Flange pedal. If not then i can't offer anymore help.

im not looking for his effects...... please read the topic

van halen 1 album
Quote by Lord_Westwood
99% of people looking for Van Halen tone is looking for the early VH1-era tone.

And a flanger will not give you the Unchained tone, it will give you the effect that you hear in the Unchained tone.
seymour duncan makes an 'Evenly Voiced Harmonic' (EVH) pickup from their custom shop that gets that sound. sounds good to me. they just can't use EVH's name or anything..
Quote by POWERMETAL!
seymour duncan makes an 'Evenly Voiced Harmonic' (EVH) pickup from their custom shop that gets that sound. sounds good to me. they just can't use EVH's name or anything..

The Evenly Voiced Harmonic pup is the '78 model, thats what they are calling it now. Same pickup, different name thats all.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
They also use them in his new Wolfgang.

If you're willing to spend $500 - $1000 on pickups, why not look into getting his guitar? I have a Wolfgang and it's amazing. Having that along with my Ibanez I really don't need a new guitar ever again.
Read post number 9. I got out of it that he said he was looking to spend somewhere between $500 - $1000 for pickups. Maybe I misunderstood.
Quote by Scissortooth
Read post number 9. I got out of it that he said he was looking to spend somewhere between $500 - $1000 for pickups. Maybe I misunderstood.
Holy **** you're right.

Jesus christ, I can't even think of a set of pickups that cost $500+ except Holmes and used Timbuckers and real PAFs and early Pat. ###s.

TS should just look to save up another $500 and buy a Marshall clone...
Quote by al112987
Holy **** you're right.

Jesus christ, I can't even think of a set of pickups that cost $500+ except Holmes and used Timbuckers and real PAFs and early Pat. ###s.

TS should just look to save up another $500 and buy a Marshall clone...

I know. Even Steve Vai and Satriani pickups cost quite a bit less. That's why I suggested he should look into the Wolfgang if he has that kind of money and is looking for the brown sound, you might as well get the stuff from the man himself.

EDIT: also http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/GG/EVHFH Sorry if that has been posted.
Last edited by Scissortooth at Aug 16, 2009,
Well... he's looking for the early VH tone, which the '78 will do better than the EVH signature pickup. Imo, you can't do any better than getting the pickup from the hands of the person who wound EVH's original frankenstrat pickup. (Before it was rewound to the 14k pickup that is there today, which ironically... Seymour Duncan also designed...)

I will say this, there is absolutely no justification for putting a set of $500+ pickups into a guitar that is anything less than top of the line into an amp that is anything less than top of the line. I use a Gibson les paul studio and JTM45 and even I can't justify putting a set of $450 Throbaks into my guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by culkid
imo, that website sells cheap crap

Heheh... good to know i'm not the only one with that opinion.

Just talking strictly about pups alone, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bare Knuckles VHII.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Page 1 of 2