I have two questions about tremolo picking:

_ Should my picking wrist be in normal playing position whilst tremolo picking?
-Is it possible to tremolo pick very fast without using your picking arm?

I'm sorry their so elementary, but thanks guys
Yes and yes.
"Whaddya mean DYNAMICS?! I'm playing as loud as I can!"
Don't use your arm, it's all in the wrist. It comes out a lot sloppier and it's harder to control when using your arm; it can also lead to pains in your arm. Also experiment with how tightly you hold the pick until you find something comfortable for you.

For starting out I recommend some Amon Amarth songs, they're relatively easy to play and feature a great deal of tremolo picking.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by XxDethmetalxX
Don't use your arm, it's all in the wrist. It comes out a lot sloppier and it's harder to control when using your arm; it can also lead to pains in your arm. Also experiment with how tightly you hold the pick until you find something comfortable for you.

For starting out I recommend some Amon Amarth songs, they're relatively easy to play and feature a great deal of tremolo picking.

i find that when i use strictly my wrist it limits my speed so i kinda move my arm too but havent had any pains so far and i've been playing for 3-4 years
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
i find that when i use strictly my wrist it limits my speed so i kinda move my arm too but havent had any pains so far and i've been playing for 3-4 years

Whatever works for you I suppose, I'm not an expert on the subject. I just know that the proper way of doing it is using strictly your wrist.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
It's wrist and a bit of forearm, if that makes any sense. You're sort of rotating your forearm along its long axis, in a very controlled way, while keeping the wrist somewhat loose.
One of my uncles always described it as having a 'live' wrist, instead of loose, and I've always preferred that description as 'loose' carries the connotation of sloppy.
Last edited by Axelotl at Aug 16, 2009,
I sort of anchor my pinky and ring fingers of my fretting hand on the guitar and hold the pick at an angle ,so its not flat going down the strings ,this way the pick goes through the strings smoother ,try to keep your pick as close to the strings as you can and start slow and build up speed ,its all in the wrist basically
Well, you're not SUPPOSED to use your arm at all in tremolo picking, though many people do. It's SUPPOSED to be all in your wrist, because you can control it better. When you do the twitch motion with your arm, you loose control easily, and the motion becomes to big, and it runs into other strings. But do whatever works best, I'd advise using just your wrist though.
Quote by Joe310707
I sort of anchor my pinky and ring fingers of my fretting hand on the guitar and hold the pick at an angle ,so its not flat going down the strings ,this way the pick goes through the strings smoother ,try to keep your pick as close to the strings as you can and start slow and build up speed ,its all in the wrist basically

Don't do this. Anchoring with your fingers is bad bad bad. He's right that you want to keep your pick as close to the string as possible though.
Well i only really do it when i tremelo pick ,but theres no real reason not to ,just because it looks bad ,quite a few players do it when they pick.
I rest my fingers on the guitar usual when I play at all, or fan them out. I don't "fist" my guitar, per se.
The important thing is that you can have total control when trem picking, i mean for example, if you can accent every four notes you're doing it good.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS