I was lucky recently and got afforded the opportunity to attend a civilian EMT-B course, and I'm pretty excited.

Are any of you EMT-B qualified?

What were your experiences/difficulties on the test?

Do you have any particularly helpful websites or applications, that could assist me in either learning the material or preparing for the certification test?
My God, it's full of stars!
Honestly, and I speak from experience after having gone through the National Registry for EMT's, the tests and all are pretty much common sense. EMT-B isnt a hard class to master. Its really glorified first aid. I had mush more of a difficult time with Intermediate and Paramedic school then I did with Basic school. But it is a really rewarding experience. My suggestion to you is to read the books and memorize as much as possible. Flash cards will be your friends. Learn inside out, forwards and backwards the acronyms SAMPLE, OPQRST, AVPU, your medial signs and symptoms, medicines/dosages/contraindications. Those will be the hardest parts.
Hmm I see what you're saying, thanks for the advice. It may not be too big of a deal in the civilian world but I think if I really pay attention and take a lot from it, I'll hopefully know that much more to be able to make a difference on the battlefield and help out the docs.

In any case, it will open up more school opportunities like maybe EMT-I and more
What is a civilian EMT-B class? Like is it through the Red Cross or will you like be able to say when you are done that you are an EMT-B with the patch and all?
As in it's not run by the military. At the end, if I pass the test, I'll be nationally certified and all that jazz.
I'm an EMT-B civilian and a Combat Medic.

The biggest problem people have with the test is that they simply overthink it. Just remember your rundown on a patient assessment, and follow it to the letter, and you'll be fine.

You'll see questions like this:

You walk on scene and see a man lying on the ground, profusely bleeding from the leg. What do you do?
A)Stop the Bleeding with pressure and elevation.
B)Establish Scene Saftey
C)Secure the Airway with an OPA
D)Call Medical Support

Of course, following the assessment, the answer is B. You'll want to pick A, but you just gotta settle down, and dumb yourself down to think only by what your teaching has shown you.

I have a lot of real-world experience, and I'll tell you, the assessment is a great thing to have to fall back on. Learn it, know it, be it. If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me.

EDIT:
Here's some practice for the test. Helped me out a lot.
http://www.emt-national-training.com/practice_tests.php

Also, don't worry about how many questions it takes you to pass. Although they say it's a cofidency test, it's loosely based. I got cut off right at 70 questions, and my buddy, who also passed, had something like 128. The number of questions it takes you to pass is irrelevant to your knowledge.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by rooster456
I'm an EMT-B civilian and a Combat Medic.

The biggest problem people have with the test is that they simply overthink it. Just remember your rundown on a patient assessment, and follow it to the letter, and you'll be fine.

You'll see questions like this:

You walk on scene and see a man lying on the ground, profusely bleeding from the leg. What do you do?
A)Stop the Bleeding with pressure and elevation.
B)Establish Scene Saftey
C)Secure the Airway with an OPA
D)Call Medical Support

Of course, following the assessment, the answer is B. You'll want to pick A, but you just gotta settle down, and dumb yourself down to think only by what your teaching has shown you.

I have a lot of real-world experience, and I'll tell you, the assessment is a great thing to have to fall back on. Learn it, know it, be it. If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me.

EDIT:
Here's some practice for the test. Helped me out a lot.
http://www.emt-national-training.com/practice_tests.php

Also, don't worry about how many questions it takes you to pass. Although they say it's a cofidency test, it's loosely based. I got cut off right at 70 questions, and my buddy, who also passed, had something like 128. The number of questions it takes you to pass is irrelevant to your knowledge.

Well as an 11B, I would have immediately chosen B as a default haha, so hopefully I won't do as poorly as your average civilian taking the test

Thanks for the link dude, MUCH appreciated.
I have recently completed my EMT-B course. I have only taken the practical examination however, and I aced it. But I have yet to take the written test. I hear it is full of contradicting questions.

but I do know that your licence is only good in the state you passed the test in. When I moved I releized that I would have to retake the test if I intended to pursue a job.
Nothing exists there is no you, no me . . .