So far what I know is to just make some power chords that are in the same Key.

Is there anything else that I should know or be corrected on?

I want to make a good metal song, but I want to make a good rhythem part before I make any type of solo over it.
well palm mutes are very common with the low e or the powerchords your using but beyond that i dont usually write music
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Blckspawn
ok.....i read all of that and i'm pretty much as lost as anyone could possibly be....

From what I understood it's a note that you hold/play (or does the bass do this?) for a long length (4 bars, 1 bar, the whole song, what have you) while you play a riff over it. It's pretty much like completing the outline of a drawing before you do the details. I'm not to familiar with this as that wiki link is the first I've heard of it but I think I understood it right.
Think of the first half of the main riff to crazy train, it pedals about 2 on the low e. So the pedal point stays the same, and then you can play other notes between hitting the pedal note. Also, you can mess with the rhythm in this way, you don't have to just alternate between pedal and other notes, you can mix it up you know.

I don't know what kind of metal you listen to, but examples are everywhere. I find As I Lay Dying uses this to a ridiculous amount if it is of any consequence to you.
Pedal tone is just sustaining the root note while throwing in others:

A----2---3---5---7---8---5---3---3---
E--0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0

etc...
A pedal tone is a repeating note that "bounces" to other notes in the riff. It is common to use the lowest string, whatever tuning, as the pedal tone.

Crazy Train- Ozzy, Unholy Confessions- Avenged Sevenfold, Rose of Sharyn- Killswitch Engage.

All of those songs use a pedal tone in a riff. The first two examples use a pedal riff as the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydWOPxAf3o&feature=related
Hope that helps.
Pedal tones are REALLY common in metal, think the opening riff to Master of Puppets by Metallica.

You can also use pedal tone riffs in clean sections of your song ( Don't lie - metal songs have clean sections ) if you let the lowest note of an arpeggio ring out ie.

e------------------0-----
b---------------0--------
G------------0-----------
D---------2--------------
A------2-----------------
E-0(let ring)-----------

for a good example of this think of the intro to Nothing Else Matters also by Metallica ( if you haven't figured out already Metallica love pedal tones ).

But pedal tones aside you can use gallop rhythms with your power chords which lots of metal bands like. For gallop rhythms check out the intro riff to Needled 24/7 by Children of Bodom and most Iron Maiden songs use gallop rhythms.

Also a thing worth throwing into your metal riffs and solos are Pinch Harmonics which can sound really evil when used properly. For a really good example of this look at the intro riff to Psychosocial by Slipknot.

Also good for metal are triplet rhythms which means you play three notes in the space of two ( ie two crochets in the space of a minum ). for an example of these check out the verse riff to Cowboys from hell by Pantera for some semi-quaver triplets.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head ( lol thats heaps )

Hope it helps!

EDIT:
Lol i was just reading the Wikipedia article on pedal tones and it mentions the big 4 of thrash metal for using pedal tones.

So that should help you for listening.
Last edited by dashroom at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Blckspawn
So far what I know is to just make some power chords that are in the same Key.

Is there anything else that I should know or be corrected on?

I want to make a good metal song, but I want to make a good rhythem part before I make any type of solo over it.

Don't just use power chords, they can get pretty stale after awhile. Mix some major/minor/whatever shapes with them.

Try some chromatics too, if you use them right they can sound great.
For the harmonies and melodies: Diminished, augmented and sus- chords, chromatics.

Pedal Tones are indeed a must. Let's say you play a melody on your E string, but between every note you hit an open E string.

E| 0-5-0-6-0-3-0-5-0-6-0-8-0-9-0-10

for example.

E would be your pedal tone.

As for Rhytms, Galloping (16th 16th 8th or 8th 16th 16th) is used a lot. For the rets you should just check out metal songs and find cool rhytms.
If I'm not mistaken lamb of God use pedal riffs alot think walk with me in hell for example.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah