I was wondering something (this will seem like a blog at first, but there is a point):

I've been working at a clothing store for about 9 months, and the store manager for about a year.

My first day was black friday, and there were a lot of people who were new (the entire staff quit when she got hired because they preferred the old manager, and she wanted them to quit). The holidays were really hectic and busy so a lot of people quit then, so we were really shortstaffed (like 8 or 9 people worked there. We're always supposed to have 15). It took us hours to close the store, but the store manager always assured us things would get better.

And things were good for a couple of weeks. But we get visits from people higher up (like the District Manager or once the Vice President) so whenever we don't expect them, the store starts to look like sh*t and when we find out they're coming next week we have to work our asses off. We only have 5 people working at our store right now. The past few months have just been getting more stressful. The store manager always tells me I need to work with a stronger sense of urgency....I'm sorry but I'm not the type of person to stress out about Men's jeans or Women's handbags...I mean, it's just fucking clothes, it's not like I'm a doctor. I do my job and all but I can't think of pricing t-shirts as "urgent".

So given that there's always supposed to be 15 people working and we're shortstaffed 10 people, it's hard for us to keep the store looking perfect. Ever since I've been hired there, it's always been a "rough patch". It's never really been happy times. And from what I've heard, it's been like that since our current store manager got hired.

And the store manager rarely hires people for horrible reasons (Ex. she doesn't want part-time works, which is 99% of our applications; if someone has a kid they aren't getting hired; if it's a pretty girl she isn't getting hired, etc.).

The store manager was telling me how her previous jobs were hell, so it just makes me think that she really doesn't want to work in an environment that isn't stressful. Many people who quit say that they've worked at other retailers that don't worry so much.

So, is it a common characteristic among people to only be able to work under large amounts of stress? I ask because when it comes to people I disagree with (Ex. Control freaks, I am as far from a control freak as possible) I can at least understand their way of thinking. But for someone who actually wants stress, that's one thing I just can't understand.
Sounds like me. It's called being a procrastinator. Sorta.

I always delay the work until I can't possibly delay it any more, then BS the best that I can and usually do a good job.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Like Ben Affleck says in Extract "stress is a killer man" and it is. No, that's not normal nor good. Stress is very bad and people that need it to work probably have health problems.
I think some people think of stress as a challenge and they want to overcome it. So the more stress they have the better and harder they work because it is exciting to them. Well this is just my thought I hate stress so all I can do is guess hopes this helps.
Got to see RUSH at Summerfest '10!
its what all the superheros do.

seriously, just go to lex luthor's house and punch him on some random wednesday. dont wait until hes about to destroy the world.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I can't do anything without a fire under my ass. Except music. I write music when the fire under my ass isn't quite hot enough yet.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
not to be harsh but

suck it up

or

find a new job

with your blog, i think the second idea is a better fit

edit: I work at a clothes store and we are understaffed so I feel your pain

however it most likely won't be your career so don't let em bother ya

they already damned themselves
Last edited by FallenSaint at Aug 16, 2009,
Dude, I'd call the hire ups or your company hotline and talk to them, if she doesn't hire for those reasons and it affects you, I'd definately report her.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Sounds like me. It's called being a procrastinator. Sorta.

I always delay the work until I can't possibly delay it any more, then BS the best that I can and usually do a good job.

Uhh procrastinator? Don't think so in this case.

To TS, I suppose urgency and stress can be fairly effective in maintaining an efficient workplace. People work harder etc. but stress isn't healthy. There needs to be a balance.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
The next episode of Penn & Teller: Bull****! is about stress. Mother****in' watch it!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by White_Devil
Uhh procrastinator? Don't think so in this case.

To TS, I suppose urgency and stress can be fairly effective in maintaining an efficient workplace. People work harder etc. but stress isn't healthy. There needs to be a balance.

Sounds like procrastination.

He does his job decently when there's nobody important breathing down his neck about it, but as soon as a "higher-up" comes along, his ass is kicked into gear.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by choaswhitewolf
I think some people think of stress as a challenge and they want to overcome it. So the more stress they have the better and harder they work because it is exciting to them. Well this is just my thought I hate stress so all I can do is guess hopes this helps.

nice sig

>.>

<.<
sounds like a job to me, that happens anywhere really, just shows that you can't hold up to company standards. but, then again, who gives a ****.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Sounds like procrastination.

He does his job decently when there's nobody important breathing down his neck about it, but as soon as a "higher-up" comes along, his ass is kicked into gear.

To procrastinate is to delay something.

Seems like he's doing his job at a steady, acceptable (perhaps not by his current manager's standards) rate.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by White_Devil
To procrastinate is to delay something.

Seems like he's doing his job at a steady, acceptable (perhaps not by his current manager's standards) rate.

One could argue that he's delaying working to the best of his abilities until it really matters.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
i function better sad/when things arent going how i want them to. just throwing it out there
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Quote by MyNameIsLame
One could argue that he's delaying working to the best of his abilities until it really matters.
When the boss tells me to work with a stronger sense of urgency, I just keep doing what I'm doing. If I work my ass off the only difference is that a Men's belt might get on the sales floor 5 or 10 minutes early...and considering how we often go an entire hour without a single customer (unless it's the weekend) I don't think it really is that urgent. So in other words, I ignore her.
I write better papers when I do it the night before or the class before, so I guess I kinda work better on scholarly type things because it's just first instinct.

I am a procrastinator.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by RU Experienced?
If you're not under stress it's not really work, is it?
I mean, I do my job. I sensor and price sh*t, help customers, etc. I mean, if you study for a test, that doesn't mean you're stressed out. They want us to act like it's the final and it's tomorrow.
Look up the Yerkes-Dodson law:
basically says that stress vs. productivity is shaped like a bell curve (stress along X axis, productivity along Y)
With low stress our productivity is low, median stress productivity is highest, and high stress productivity again sinks low.
TL;DR - our productivity requires stress; too little and we suck, too much and we suck. It's like Goldilocks, gotta have it just right.
Shoooooooooooop da whooooooooooop