Page 1 of 2
i went to a suprise bday party today and knew about 8 people there and tried my best to have conversations with people (even the ones i know) but i just CANT do it!
the whole time i just listened to what other people had to say and laughed and said a little bit every once and awhile. but i want to be the one who talks alot and is the center of attention, the one who everyone is comfortable talking to. i've been learning new things on this site http://www.howstuffworks.com/ so i have more to talk about, but still, im the quiet one, but i dont wanna be. does anyone else have this problem and can anyone help?
Drink alcohol. Smoke weed. Take charge of the conversation.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I talk about music since that's my favorite thing and pretty much everyone listens to some sort of music. I'm really shy but I can have a conversation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by keri55
i went to a suprise bday party today and knew about 8 people there and tried my best to have conversations with people (even the ones i know) but i just CANT do it!
the whole time i just listened to what other people had to say and laughed and said a little bit every once and awhile. but i want to be the one who talks alot and is the center of attention, the one who everyone is comfortable talking to. i've been learning new things on this site http://www.howstuffworks.com/ so i have more to talk about, but still, im the quiet one, but i dont wanna be. does anyone else have this problem and can anyone help?

Don't talk about that stuff! Talk about stuff people did the last time they got drunk.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
if you have to force conversation it won't work. it's gotta flow and not be awkward. start with the weather and take it from there.

ps. you might not be a sociable outgoing person. accept it and move on as needed. be yourself.
In addition to drinking alcohol/smoking weed, you could always butt into the conversation (if you're within the confines of the conversation) with an anecdote of a related topic.

Such as:

Person1: "So I was playing guitar but I keep coming to a block on how to progress with the song I'm currently writing"
You: "Oh? I play guitar too. What kind of music do you like to play?"
Person1: *lists off a few genres of music*
You: "Oh, I play <insert genres you play>"

etc.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by mr.happyman
start with the weather and take it from there.

Oh god no.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
People like you more if you listen to them. People who are more loud then they should be are just really annoying. Listening and interjecting with a good point or something witty is the ideal conversation.

If you want to get someone involved in something you're talking about, use facial expressions and ask them if they're familiar with what you want to talk about. Trust me, don't think about awkward silences. Think about pretty much anything else and think out loud.
Quote by mr.happyman
ps. you might not be a sociable outgoing person. accept it and move on as needed. be yourself.

This.

Not everyone is a Type A personality. This is why they call it Type A - it implies an alternative. Two of my best friends are Type B personalities. Neither of them are exactly party people, but they're both fun in small groups, and everyone is happy when they make it out. One of the guys even gets laid like, constantly.

So don't worry if you're not a life-of-the-party kind of guy. Most of those people get annoying eventually anyway.
Get arrested, then talk about it at a party post-jails
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by jean_genie
This.

Not everyone is a Type A personality. This is why they call it Type A - it implies an alternative. Two of my best friends are Type B personalities. Neither of them are exactly party people, but they're both fun in small groups, and everyone is happy when they make it out. One of the guys even gets laid like, constantly.

So don't worry if you're not a life-of-the-party kind of guy. Most of those people get annoying eventually anyway.

You are clearly misconstrued about what it is to have a Type A or Type B personality.
Try to appear confident, if the conversation gets awkward, finish your drink and go get another, the smooth exit.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by RU Experienced?
You are clearly misconstrued about what it is to have a Type A or Type B personality.

It's not entirely out of place. Type A personality insinuates low self-esteem, constantly stressed, etc. Type B is ok with themselves, laid back, etc.

He could be suggesting that TS is bad at socializing because of low self-esteem.

EDIT: The guy with the personality theory got it wrong. In fact, the way he explained it seemed kinda wrong as well.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Last edited by MyNameIsLame at Aug 16, 2009,
Talk about sex.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
Whip it out!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
have some alcohol

i have your problem just not as bad. this man is right a drink or 2 in you will fix it.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
In addition to drinking alcohol/smoking weed, you could always butt into the conversation (if you're within the confines of the conversation) with an anecdote of a related topic.

Such as:

Person1: "So I was playing guitar but I keep coming to a block on how to progress with the song I'm currently writing"
You: "Oh? I play guitar too. What kind of music do you like to play?"
Person1: *lists off a few genres of music*
You: "Oh, I play <insert genres you play>"

etc.

And if you realize mid-story that it was a "you-had-to-be-there" kind of thing, end it with "And then I found 5 dollars". No matter how boring the story is, it's suddenly worth listening to.

On a serious note, I have the same issue. Among close friends, I'm quite sociable. Around strangers, not so much. I'm coming to terms with my social dilemmas as well, so I can't be much help with yours.
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
Ah Keri, my favorite troll. Your newest adventure has a dissappointing lack of nipples though. Oh well, can't expect you to be at your best all the time.

And on topic, inquire about stuff you don't know. that's actually a pretty good way to kill two birds with one stone (learn and be social.)
Cyanide Drip

Quote by Myfirstpubes
you're saying that everytime someone in the Pit fapped, they produced magic? Wow, we'd be in fucking Narnia by now by the Pit's rate of masturbation.

Quote by larrytheguitar
I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.
IDK just talk about thing that you have in common with your friends, like musics, politics, sports...
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

mainline some pcp, and try not to kill anything
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
mainline some pcp, and try not to kill anything

Yeah, do this
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
It's called being socially awkward. It sucks, but you learn to get around it. For example, I suck at making conversation in groups. I can have very engaging conversations one-on-one, but I have trouble making sense of group conversation, since a bunch of people are talking at once. I can only listen to one person at a time.

You know what I did, though? I sharpened my wit, and I started making people laugh with my offbeat observations and side-comments. I still have trouble with group conversation (I blame my ADHD), but people like having me around.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Drink alcohol. Smoke weed. Take charge of the conversation.

this or drink lots and dance on the table, should get rid of those akward silences
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by FFTLxx
Try to appear confident, if the conversation gets awkward, finish your drink and go get another, the smooth exit.

I do that every time i want to move on at a party!
You guys know this isn't real, right? Hence the website he posted. And also why he hasn't responded in over an hour.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
for this situation, drink alcohol. it makes you more relaxed and easy to get along with.

dont smoke weed, it just makes you seem more witty and entertaining to yourself. unless everyone is smoking, smoking weed will not make you more social. it just makes you annoying to be around. the same goes for other drugs.

thats why alcohol is the drug of choice for true champions!
I have no opinion on this matter.
just dont think about it, dont think about your shyness its not important at all. you just gota relax an learn to not care or this is going to bug you forever
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You guys know this isn't real, right? Hence the website he posted. And also why he hasn't responded in over an hour.

In his defense it's a pretty cool site.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Maybe we're not doing it for him? Maybe we're doing it for EVERY self-conscious, shy, socially awkward Pitmonkey out there!!!

... or maybe we have nothing better to do .
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by Littleangus44
Just kill the alpha male!

you dont kill him, you just urinate on/around him. didnt your mom teach you anything?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Show em your giant nipples and take it from there
.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.
Page 1 of 2