Hello. I recently bought an Ibanez in the RG series, mainly because it was being sold for less than half the normal price. I'm more or less happy with the way it plays, but not entirely with the way it sounds. These Ibanez "infinity" humbuckers aren't really very good. I'm not sure what to replace them with, though.

I'm looking for good, high output pickups. I bought this guitar to play heavy metal, so I don't care about the clean sound. I want a sound that is fat but not muddy. I've been looking at Seymore Duncan high output passive pickups, but if anyone has better suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Passive pickups only, please.

Thanks.
Do you drop tune?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
I have several amps, although I'm also shopping for a new amp specifically for heavy metal type playing, so if you have suggestions feel free to share them. Mostly I use a Marshall of the MG series or a little Epiphone tube amp (the smallest model, with just a volume knob; I travel with it). Either way, I often play through a Line 6 POD.

And I rarely drop tune; if I do, it's just drop D. I don't tune my whole guitar down.
Dimarzio D-Sonic is supposed to be heavy.

But I suggest upgrading the amp first...
If your gonna play metal, and are on a tight budget, maybe a Blackstar HT-5?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
My budget doesn't really allow for new pickups and a new amp at the moment, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind. To be honest, I've been pleasantly surprised by the sound I get out of my 5w Epiphone / POD combination. It sounds a little... digital, but I travel back and forth across the country for school and so I don't want a larger tube amp at the moment.
Quote by DionysusInChain
My budget doesn't really allow for new pickups and a new amp at the moment, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind. To be honest, I've been pleasantly surprised by the sound I get out of my 5w Epiphone / POD combination. It sounds a little... digital, but I travel back and forth across the country for school and so I don't want a larger tube amp at the moment.

The HT-5 is a small, low wattage, high gain tube amp o.O

I have little pickup experience so Ill have to step aside for this one, sorry
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by TheLetheProject
I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker from some user here...

lol.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by TheLetheProject
I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker from some user here...

I prefer EMG's...but that all boils down to personal preference.
Also if you get EMG's make sure you either own a tube amp or plan on getting one because that's what active pups are designed for.
Edit: Ah, passive only. I've heard a lot of great things about Bareknuckle pickups, they might be worth looking into.
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Last edited by XxDethmetalxX at Aug 16, 2009,