Page 1 of 2
Well, I have a guitar with a humbucker in bridge-position, and I like the sound and looks of the P-90s.

I know I can get the sound from a Gibson P-94, of from one of those GFS Mean 90 or Dream 90; but I want it to look as a P-90 too. So I was wondering, would a humbucker would fit under a P-90 cover?.

So here is the cover:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-P-90-P-100-Pickup-Dog-Ear-Cover-360932-i1129869.gc

It says it is fitted for P-90s and P-100's; and I think the P-100 has the size of a humbucker, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody know if the P-100 has the size of a humbucker?

If someone could answer my questions, I'd be very grateful.
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
ive been told that humbuckers do fit under p90 covers
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
This is relevant to my interests, so please let me know when you find out ^^
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
thanks dude.

I might end up buying it and trying it myself, but I really could spend those 15 bucks in something more useful.

EDIT: If someone has actually done this before, it would be very helpful to know, but thanks for all your comments
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
Last edited by DarkLordArthur at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Kurapica
This is relevant to my interests, so please let me know when you find out ^^

No problem dude, I'll let you know
Well, for starters, I think the GFS Mean/Dream 90s are humbucker sized. I suppose you could gut one of them and put a humbucker in it.

Besides that, humbuckers can be single coil sized, so I'm sure they can be P90 sized. Whether they ever are or not stands to be seen.
Yes, I just put the cover of my p-90 I am about to install in my project over the DiMarzio humbucker in my Gibson SG. You'd have to make some fake metal coils as they don't line up with the humbucker but yes the cover fits. Damn, I didn't realize p-90s are this huge.

EDIT: Crappy Webcam pic

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Last edited by Gibshall at Aug 16, 2009,
i know for sure that mini humbuckers fit because often P-90 covers are used as mounting rings for mini-humbuckers.

P-90s look kinda thinner than humbuckers but it may be all an illusion as humbuckers are often mounted on plastic rings, and P-90s are also wider.

also, i think a gibson P-100 is 2 p-90 sized coils stacked on top of each other, but the coils are wired together in the same way as a humbucker - effectively, they are the same size as a regular P-90. but i'm not 100% sure of this.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 16, 2009,
Issue you will have is the holes for the pole piece screws are centered in the cover and predrilled. A humbucker might fit but you would need the holes offset for the humbucker and it would not be easy to fill the original holes.
In short: Will a P90 fit a humbucker slot? No.

The P90 is very different in size from a humbucker. First a humbucekr is wider but not as high as a P90. You could route it for a P90, but it will requier you to route in the body and if you won't have a pickguard you will be left with a large space between the pickups I'm afraid. Unless you have a pickguard that covers the pcikups (like a Strat or SG), it won't really work.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Well, for starters, I think the GFS Mean/Dream 90s are humbucker sized. I suppose you could gut one of them and put a humbucker in it.

Besides that, humbuckers can be single coil sized, so I'm sure they can be P90 sized. Whether they ever are or not stands to be seen.

Quote by Gabel
In short: Will a P90 fit a humbucker slot? No.

The P90 is very different in size from a humbucker. First a humbucekr is wider but not as high as a P90. You could route it for a P90, but it will requier you to route in the body and if you won't have a pickguard you will be left with a large space between the pickups I'm afraid. Unless you have a pickguard that covers the pcikups (like a Strat or SG), it won't really work.

Ok, you have TOTALLY missed my point, if you read my first post correctly you'd have noticed that.

First: Sir Anonymus, as I stated in my first post, I already know GFS Dream/Mean 90s are humbucker sized, that's why I'm planning to buy one (Mean 90) sine MY GUITAR IS ROUTED FOR A HUMBUCKER. I know there exist single-coil sized humbuckers, but again, you're missing my point.

Second: Gabel, did I ever say slot? because I don't remember saying that, please read my WHOLE first post again so you can get my point. I asked if a HUMBUCKER would fit under a P-90 COVER (like, you know, the plastic or sometimes chrome thing that COVERS the pickup)

Quote by Gibshall
Yes, I just put the cover of my p-90 I am about to install in my project over the DiMarzio humbucker in my Gibson SG. You'd have to make some fake metal coils as they don't line up with the humbucker but yes the cover fits. Damn, I didn't realize p-90s are this huge.

EDIT: Crappy Webcam pic

Thanks my friend, you were really helpful, no problem about the webcam pic, it shows what I have to see, "crappy" quality pic > no pic at all, it also doesn't look that bad; so it really fits over a humbucker. But... as Tackleberry said, did you have problems with the screws?
There is some confusion then. The p90s you want to buy are humbucker sized to fit in a humbucker space in a guitar. But the link you posted is for a true p90s cover. In which case no a humbucker or humbucker sized p90 isnt gonna fit in that, true p90s are longer and narrower. And the p90 cover you linked to wouldnt fit in a humbucker route. Also the mounting is different as they direct mount w screws going into the body vs the way humbuckers mount.
Quote by Tackleberry
There is some confusion then. The p90s you want to buy are humbucker sized to fit in a humbucker space in a guitar. But the link you posted is for a true p90s cover. In which case no a humbucker or humbucker sized p90 isnt gonna fit in that, true p90s are longer and narrower. And the p90 cover you linked to wouldnt fit in a humbucker route. Also the mounting is different as they direct mount w screws going into the body vs the way humbuckers mount.

Well, Gibshall already did what I want to do, so there really IS some confusion here, because you are telling me it is totally impossible, but he already did it.
Quote by DarkLordArthur
Ok, you have TOTALLY missed my point, if you read my first post correctly you'd have noticed that.

First: Sir Anonymus, as I stated in my first post, I already know GFS Dream/Mean 90s are humbucker sized, that's why I'm planning to buy one (Mean 90) sine MY GUITAR IS ROUTED FOR A HUMBUCKER. I know there exist single-coil sized humbuckers, but again, you're missing my point.

Second: Gabel, did I ever say slot? because I don't remember saying that, please read my WHOLE first post again so you can get my point. I asked if a HUMBUCKER would fit under a P-90 COVER (like, you know, the plastic or sometimes chrome thing that COVERS the pickup)

Thanks my friend, you were really helpful, no problem about the webcam pic, it shows what I have to see, "crappy" quality pic > no pic at all, it also doesn't look that bad; so it really fits over a humbucker. But... as Tackleberry said, did you have problems with the screws?

Well I didn't keep it on, I just slacked my strings and slid in the cover over the pickup. If I wanted to however, I could screw down the cover since it didn't yet reach the end of the pickguard.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by DarkLordArthur

I did read your first post, however I missed that.

I can though safely say that no a humbucker will NOT fit in a P90 cover. A P100 is a P90 with stacked coils, not humbucker sized. So it will not work I'm afraid.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gibshall
Well I didn't keep it on, I just slacked my strings and slid in the cover over the pickup. If I wanted to however, I could screw down the cover since it didn't yet reach the end of the pickguard.

So you did it just for me to see? Wow, I feel honored.
Anyway, I could just adjust the pickup height and then put on the cover and screw it. I won't be able to adjust the pickup again unless I remove the cover, but that's why I'd adjust it first.
Thanks for your help.
Quote by Gabel
I did read your first post, however I missed that.

I can though safely say that no a humbucker will NOT fit in a P90 cover. A P100 is a P90 with stacked coils, not humbucker sized. So it will not work I'm afraid.

Well, Gibshall showed us all that it actually IS possible, there is actually a humbucker under that P-90 cover that he posted before.
But thanks for the info about the P-100.

Quote by forsaknazrael
If you're buying a Mean 90, it already looks kiiiinda like a soapbar P90 cover. What's the big deal? You want the dog gear style of P90?

Yes, I want a Dog-ear style
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, good luck trying to get that P-90 cover to fit in your guitar, even if the humbucker does fit in it.

Haha, I know where you are trying to get but thanks. Maybe I'll let you know when I do it (if I end up doing it, that is).
Quote by forsaknazrael
FWIW, here's an overlay of a soapbar over a humbucker:

soapbar is in red.

actually the soapbar is scaled down a fair bit in that picture. - notice that the measurement of 3.060 is actually LARGER than the 3.300?

if you were to put a humbucker in a P-90 routing, the mounting rings wouldn't cover the sides of the holes completely - i have seen a modded gibson les paul deluxe which had full-size humbuckers and the holes just showed through - P-90s are a little wider than a humbucker mounting ring.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
FWIW, here's an overlay of a soapbar over a humbucker:

soapbar is in red.

Ok, judging by your sketch, Gibshall's picture, and a picture I found of a P-90 and the cover next to it, The humbucker WILL fit under the cover, so thanks.

EDIT: Oh and BTW what does FWIW mean?
Quote by Blompcube
actually the soapbar is scaled down a fair bit in that picture. - notice that the measurement of 3.060 is actually LARGER than the 3.300?

if you were to put a humbucker in a P-90 routing, the mounting rings wouldn't cover the sides of the holes completely - i have seen a modded gibson les paul deluxe which had full-size humbuckers and the holes just showed through - P-90s are a little wider than a humbucker mounting ring.

The guitar is not routed for a p-90 it is routed for a humbucker, I just want to put the cover over the humbucker.
All you can do is try it then come back and let us know well it worked or didnt. When you get it under the strings and try to secure it you will see the issue.
Quote by DarkLordArthur

And, my good fellow, if you had read my post correctly, I had said that since Dream/Mean 90s are P90s their cover is a P90 cover (since it covers a P90, do you follow?) - therefore you could fit a humbucker in a P90 cover as long as it is a Dream/Mean 90 cover.

And again you miss my point.
Since humbuckers can be made single coil size, there is no reason that they couldn't be made P90 size. I suppose that a secondary point here could be that you could get a single coil sized humbucker and stick it in a regular P90 cover - I can't vouch for how well it would work, however, since this is all speculative talk.

Since you're routed for a humbucker, you're pretty much SOL.
Regular P90 covers are a differnt shape than humbuckers so even if you did fit a humbucker into soapbar or dogear cover you'd be fucked anyway by the routing.
Quote by Blompcube

Ah, good call. I kinda just copy pasta'd the pic from Seymour Duncan, didn't even scale it right.

Quote by DarkLordArthur
Ok, judging by your sketch, Gibshall's picture, and a picture I found of a P-90 and the cover next to it, The humbucker WILL fit under the cover, so thanks.

EDIT: Oh and BTW what does FWIW mean?

How did you get THAT info from my pic? My pic shows that the humbucker is CLEARLY taller than the P-90. The humbucker measures 1.4 inches, while the P-90 is only 1.28....Are you readin' it at all?

And FWIW means For what it's worth.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah, good call. I kinda just copy pasta'd the pic from Seymour Duncan, didn't even scale it right.

How did you get THAT info from my pic? My pic shows that the humbucker is CLEARLY taller than the P-90. The humbucker measures 1.4 inches, while the P-90 is only 1.28....Are you readin' it at all?

And FWIW means For what it's worth.

I measured the difference between a humbucker and a P-90 from your pic, and the difference between the P-90 and the cover form my pic, deduced a scale and used it as a reference. (it is almost the same difference in size)

And YOU ARE ALL MISSING that Gibshall already put a P-90 cover over a humbucker, and it fitted, so the only problem remaining would be the holes for the screws and not the difference in size between the humbucker and the P-90 (considering the cover is way bigger than the P-90)
Quote by Sir Anonymous
And, my good fellow, if you had read my post correctly, I had said that since Dream/Mean 90s are P90s their cover is a P90 cover (since it covers a P90, do you follow?) - therefore you could fit a humbucker in a P90 cover as long as it is a Dream/Mean 90 cover.

And again you miss my point.
Since humbuckers can be made single coil size, there is no reason that they couldn't be made P90 size. I suppose that a secondary point here could be that you could get a single coil sized humbucker and stick it in a regular P90 cover - I can't vouch for how well it would work, however, since this is all speculative talk.

Since you're routed for a humbucker, you're pretty much SOL.
Regular P90 covers are a differnt shape than humbuckers so even if you did fit a humbucker into soapbar or dogear cover you'd be fucked anyway by the routing.

Problem is that Dream/mean 90s don't come with a cover, and there are no P-90 style -covers for humbuckers; plus Dream/Mean 90s are not P-90s...they are humbucker sized (do you follow?).
Next, I don't want a P-90 sized humbucker, I want a humbucker-sized P-90. I want the sound of the P-90; but, again, my guitar is routed for a humbucker. I just want a P-90 cover over my humbucker.
Quote by DarkLordArthur
I measured the difference between a humbucker and a P-90 from your pic, and the difference between the P-90 and the cover form my pic, deduced a scale and used it as a reference. (it is almost the same difference in size)

What scale? Look at the measurements. THAT is the scale.

Quote by DarkLordArthur

And YOU ARE ALL MISSING that Gibshall already put a P-90 cover over a humbucker, and it fitted, so the only problem remaining would be the holes for the screws and not the difference in size between the humbucker and the P-90 (considering the cover is way bigger than the P-90)

I am not missing that, I saw it. i just don't buy it, now when I have the numbers in front of me.
Uhm, check out the Soapbar humbuckers on DiMarzio's website?
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
Humbucking P-90 style pickups. Minus dogears, of course.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by DarkLordArthur
Problem is that Dream/mean 90s don't come with a cover, and there are no P-90 style -covers for humbuckers; plus Dream/Mean 90s are not P-90s...they are humbucker sized (do you follow?).
Next, I don't want a P-90 sized humbucker, I want a humbucker-sized P-90. I want the sound of the P-90; but, again, my guitar is routed for a humbucker. I just want a P-90 cover over my humbucker.

Actually, Mean 90's DO come with covers. Just not the dog ear ones you want.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What scale? Look at the measurements. THAT is the scale.

I am not missing that, I saw it. i just don't buy it, now when I have the numbers in front of me.

A scale between you picture (which is "real sized"?) and the one I found, which is not
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't go by the size of the pickups in the picture...

Go by the measurements/numbers listed there! Those are the measurements of real Seymour Duncan pickups...

just let the kid f*ck up his stuff, then he'll listen to you next time.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, Mean 90's DO come with covers. Just not the dog ear ones you want.

Is true........
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't go by the size of the pickups in the picture...

Go by the measurements/numbers listed there! Those are the measurements of real Seymour Duncan pickups...

¬¬ I know, I didn't mean the picture itself, of course I went by the measurements, that's why you put them there, didn't you? I'm not as stupid as you think; please stop trying to make it look like I'm some sort of stupid kid who just asks a random question without even a little of background information, and then just try to deny everything everyone says to him.
And of course I'm reading and using all the info you people give to me, but if you were trying to help instead of just saying "humbuckers and P-90s have different size", "there is no way you could do that", "there are single-coil sized humbuckers", "Don't you know P-90s and humbuckers are very different in size?", "Mean 90s actually have covers", and all that kind of things.

I know humbuckers and P-90s have different sizes, that's why I asked my question in the first place; I also know P-90 pickup covers are bigger than the P-90 itself beacuse it doesn't require a pickup ring. ( also you can tell from pictures)

So then, Gibshall actually put the P-90 cover over the humbucker and posted a pic of it, but still you keep saying "L0LoLOl0l you are so stupid, a humbucker is bigger than a P-90".

So please, if you are gonna post here to tell me there's no way to do it (without reason/just because), and you are not gonna say why (backing it up with data, not with speculations), please don't do it.

Also, forsaknazrael, thanks for the drawing with measurements it was very helpful, but the cover is bigger that the pickup itself.
Last edited by DarkLordArthur at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by occub
Is true........

Ok, thanks. I'm sure it's true.
Page 1 of 2