OK so a buddy is trying to sell me this V2 that doesn't work. He doesn't know anything about it. All he knows is that it powers up but there is no output. He says the power light comes on but no other lights come on.

That is all I know. Not much

So I want to see if I can fit it before I buy it.

You guys have any idea what could be wrong with it? What is most likely wrong with it? Easy fix? Or could it be anything?

He wants $200 for it "as is"

Should I go for it?

BTW I also know very little about the detail of how amps work. But I'm a smart guy! lol

Thanks is advance!
Check out the Randall Amplifier forums. There's lots of amp nerds over there who might be able to help, and that's a steal for that amp if it's some kinda quick fix that isn't too hard to do and is cheap (like maybe new tubes in the preamp or something).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
A Dead fuse or tube was my first thought but then i wounder if it had a dead fuse then would the power light be on? Can anybody test this for me? Just take then different fuses and tubes out and see if the lights come on or not. That would be so awesome!
Last edited by Sy-Furr at Aug 16, 2009,
check the tubes, there are 4 total, 3-12ax7 in the preamp and 1-12at7 in the power section, make sure all of those are working. Next check the speaker out put, there are 2 on the back, try both, one could be dead. Check the the effects loop, if you dont have anything in the effects loop make sure the loop is not selected on the footswitch or front panel.

Thats what i can think of now, and for $200 thats a steal, it would still probably be worth it to get it and get it repaired if what i said to check doesnt work

if it is the tubes, i suggest you put EH brand of tubes in it, they sound the best in this amp
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Plus with EMG 81/85(18v mod)
PRS Tremonti SE
Randall V2
Genz Benz G-Flex 212
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Last edited by static86 at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by static86
check the tubes, there are 4 total, 3-12ax7 in the preamp and 1-12at7 in the power section, make sure all of those are working. Next check the speaker out put, there are 2 on the back, try both, one could be dead. Check the the effects loop, if you dont have anything in the effects loop make sure the loop is not selected on the footswitch or front panel.

Thats what i can think of now, and for $200 thats a steal, it would still probably be worth it to get it and get it repaired if what i said to check doesnt work

if it is the tubes, i suggest you put EH brand of tubes in it, they sound the best in this amp

Stupid Question but I'm new to this amp. What tubes are used for which channels? All of preamp tubes? One at a time? When is the power amp tube used?

The reason is that none of the channels work, like no output at all. So if a tube is use for all channels and it's dead then that might be what's going on. But if it uses one tube per channel then only that channel should be dead right?
Sy-Furr, it could be any of the tubes, but most likely the power tube IE the 12at7.

As its been said, buy it and enquire into fixing it yourself...
If its too much for that, get it repaired and you've a brilliant amp. If you don't want it, you can sell it on.
The 3 12ax7 tubes are for the Tube O.D. channel, the clean and overdrive channel use a solid state preamp, the 1 12at7 is used for every channel so i'de check that one first

Does your friend who's selling it have any more info on why it wont make a sound, like what happened when it stopped working, etc?
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Plus with EMG 81/85(18v mod)
PRS Tremonti SE
Randall V2
Genz Benz G-Flex 212
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Last edited by static86 at Aug 17, 2009,
My understanding is that this is a tube pre-amp with a MOSFET power amp. If this is the case, if the problem is not in the pre-amp....GL with fixing it.... My only suggestions would be to try switching all the tubes and put new fuses in. If that does not fix it....I really don't know what to say.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.