ok im pretty sure this isnt the right place to post this but hey i dont really use these forums much so techniqly im new im still figuring out this place ive posted on some threads and stuff but im not really sure what goes where.. but my question is what is best for half step down tunings because i use 9 gauges and i know that they arent very good for eb and i need an answer as to what gauge is best 10's or 11's?
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
I use 52-10s
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
you could do that with 9s.... its only 1/2 step

10s would suit you
I use 10s for drop c
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
11s have more tension, and a thicker tone.

10's have less tension, but a thinner tone.

Both should work for Eb.

I personally use 11s in standard
I use string meant for standard tuning and tune to drop B...........probably makes most people cringe, but I dont notice a difference...
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
so would thicker be better for a rise against or coheed and cambria tone? or would thinner be best?
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
I have a jackson with a flyd rose bridge. It is tuned down to eb but i used to use 9's for standard. In my opinion, 11's are best for a floyd rose bridge tuned in eb just cause they have the right tension at that tuning to balance a bridge closely to what it would be on 9's. I'm go 11's just because flappy strings are ****ed.
I regularly use my 9-46ers for Drop B. It works fine, just not quite as well.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Schecter Devil (C# Standard)
Peavey Butcher (late 80s, 120 watt)
Traynor 4x12
Earthbound Audio Supercollider fuzz
H&K Warp Factor distortion
well would the 11s be just as good as the 10s like soloing and stuff just like a bit heavier? and which would be better to have if i was to play punk and then switch to prog the thin or the thick?
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Well, the 11s would probably sound better for that, and be a little harder to bend when you first put them on.

It's mostly preference, but I'd say thick.
thank you and a random question that doesnt really matter..what picks would be best for pinch harmonics and being able to solo and everything else?
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
That's mostly a technique thing.

A lot of the guys around here swear by JazzIIIs, myself included (but I use XLs). Pick thickness depends on a great many things including string size and how hard you pick.

If you go with thick strings and pick really hard, a thick pick might be best - but if you pick softly, there may be merit behind using a thinner pick.
If you use lighter strings, I think the reverse is true.
Thinner picks have better pick scrapes though.

Aside from that, just buy a bunch of different picks and find out what you like.
ill try that out thanks...i use gibson pure XH at the moment and ive found that its been harder to use the pinch harmonics then with these cheap walmart brand picks (they actualy surprisingly pretty good for cheap walmart picks) yeah i strum hard so ill try those picks out and keep a few of my cheap walmart picks for songs i need to scrape but yeah thanks youve been a big help
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.