Poll: What's the most important thing for you in a song?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's the most important thing for you in a song?
Guitar solo
50 26%
Guitar tone
82 42%
Lyrics
68 35%
Melody
146 76%
Production
58 30%
Singer's voice
84 44%
Other (specify)
39 20%
Voters: 193.
Page 1 of 2
The title says all. Please vote up to 3 things.

For me they are melody, production and singer's voice. If they are not good I can't listen to the song, no matter if it has killer solo, riffs and lyrics.
Last edited by Poglia at Aug 16, 2009,
All of these + bass and drums
Being a bassist, bass is pretty important to me
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
IDK, a lot of it.

solo helps, most important is overall rythm melody i guess. Although other components make that song memorable.
I voted 'Singer's voice' as that's what throws me off a lot of music. If the guitar sounds weird or the melody is odd etc. I'll give it a listen but if the vocalist sounds like a pre-pubescent teenage girl then it's all too much for me.
the feeling.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote by soulflyV
The most important thing for me is that I enjoy it.

If I don't enjoy the song, none of that stuff matters. If I do enjoy the song, none of that stuff matters more than anything else.

This is pretty much how I feel, but in regards to stuff that can throw me off an otherwise enjoyable song... it's probably the singer's voice. A bad singer can be tolerated in a good song, it just ruins it most of the time.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Melody, production, singers voice and other.

Production mainly because I hate when an album isn't mixed quite right, it drives me crazy.

The singers voice because generally that's the main focus.
And other is the actual music. The singer can be average, the lyrics can be average, but as long as the music is good I'm happy.
I voted other because I like the technical side of the playing and I consider it important.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Mind, heart and balls.

Mind = Interesting sounding, possibly by being technical or progressive, or unpredictable in any way
Heart = A strong mood or emotion
Balls = Sort of hard to explain, but awesome catchy choruses, memorable riffs or melodies, strong memorable rhythmic stuff, the epic bits in songs that people write out in all caps and post in the band's thread, that sort of thing.

That's how I think of it, anyway. Lyrics, production, good playing and a singer with a good voice are all nice, but they're not really the song.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 16, 2009,
What's up with all the votes for 'melody'? Wusses.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
BREAKDOWN D00D!!!l!1
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
I went for the last 5 options. 'Other' being the piece as a whole.

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

melody, guitar solo and the bit in the song when the instruments all go off (Save maybe drums) and the chorus is sung by the singer/live crowd with great gusto
I can't listen to a song with horrible guitar tone or a singer with a weird/annoying/bad voice.

I also prefer songs with substance. Something with good construction that you can tell was carefully put together, not some crappy powerchord riff over and over with the bassist playing the root note with everything.
Quote by whalepudding
Mind, heart and balls.

Mind = Interesting sounding, possibly by being technical or progressive, or unpredictable in any way
Heart = A strong mood or emotion
Balls = Sort of hard to explain, but awesome catchy choruses, memorable riffs or melodies, strong memorable rhythmic stuff, the epic bits in songs that people write out in all caps and post in the band's thread, that sort of thing.

That's how I think of it, anyway. Lyrics, production, good playing and a singer with a good voice are all nice, but they're not really the song.

I like this, these three elements can make a killer song.
For me, I want to always hear at least one REALLY GREAT RIFF! Every song needs an awesome riff in it. I'm very guitar oriented in that sense...

What kind of song are you talking about? A prog metal song? A country song? A blues song? Jazz song? Rock song?

Regardless of the genre, I want to always hear original guitar work. The vocal melody is important too, I hate it when bands have really boring vocal melodies, but if the guitar work is good enough, it won't matter. However I think it all comes hand in hand. If a writer is talented enough to come up with good guitar work he should be able to come up with a decent vocal melody too.
Last edited by Waff at Aug 16, 2009,
That "thing" in a song.
I have no idea what it is.

Having said that, I can appreciate a good melody or drums or whatever.
...In my opinion.
melody is very important. it's the backbone/skeleton of the song.

next i would say the singer's voice. I've listened to a lot of music where it sounded really cool until the singer started singing then it killed it. Then again, my favorite band is guns n' roses and a lot of people really detest axl's singing so idk. I just think it's more important than the other options.

lastly, i put other. In particular i would say dynamics and song flow are very important. I like songs that are very dynamic - songs that take you on an emotional journey of sorts. I love powerful intros followed by huge riffs, or cool breakdowns followed by an epic instrumental or chorus. I'm not a big fan of songs that just bombard you for five minutes straight without giving you a chance to catch your breath. I'm also not a big fan of songs that just jump around from part to part without any real cohesiveness.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Melody and singer's voice.
But also bass and drums are a very important parts of a song.
I can't pick a favourite part of it, I like songs that have many good things blending together.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
- Production
- Lyrics
- Guitar Tone
- Singers Voice
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by vanshaya
the feeling.

This. The atmosphere.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
The songwriting. That's it, really. Whether it has a solo or not or so on is immaterial, as long as it works, whatever genre it is. Obviously, if the singer's voice is particularly obnoxious or it sounds like it's recorded down a phone line, underwater, in a bin, then yeah, that might put me off, but hopefully the songwriting skill should still shine through.
Aslong as there's lots of teh br00talz.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
The feeling and how its played means a lot to me. That's the main reason why i'm listening to punk and grunge. It's because they dont give a **** and just plays what THEY want. Not what most people wants to listen to.
In the 22nd century, how many guitarists is needed to replace a light source?

Five. One to actually do it, and four to reminisce about how much better the old tubes were.

Quote by SquareNothing
Metalicer!!!! Krik Halmet!!!!1
Last edited by IsmokeDope at Aug 16, 2009,
Songwriting. So, other, i guess, although i do appreciate a particularly unique or warm voice.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Page 1 of 2