I'm currently using a strat copy that belongs to my boyfriend, but as my mum said she'd get me a guitar of my own for my birthday, I need some help deciding which to get.

I really like Explorer-shaped guitars, so I've been looking at the EX and FX series ESP LTDs. I know a lot of people say not to look below the 400 series, but thats out of my price range.

I have a couple of options;
get a basswood EX-50, and change the pick ups
get an EX-260, but its got an agathis body and I've heard a lot of bad press about agathis as a tonewood
get an FX-260, but considerably more expensive than the others
or, purchase a used EX-351, with a mahogany body, it seems superior, but has some dings and flaws in the finish.

or, suggest something completely different; my budget is probably £350/$550.

Thanks, UG <3
Gear:
ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue.
Valencia acoustic.
this is the way the world ends
not with a bang, but with a whimper
maybe try an epiphone futura prophecy is you can find one used mahogany body with quilt top 24 frets and emgs!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
first...I hope u are a girl :P

It really depends...or get the basswood EX-50 and change pups or if the dings and flaws aren't really deep in the used one, get that one.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
The FX260 has a mahogany body. Going used is always the best option though.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I know everybody wants their guitar to look cool to them but don't focus on the looks so much. Find something that plays really well in your price range and sounds good and then worry about what is most attractive. For anybody starting out with their first electric I recommend used gear because its so much cheaper. You can buy a decent axe for the price of a ****ty one new. I recommend the PRS SE line for anyone looking for a solid and versatile guitar. At $550 you have lot of options so just make sure you play as many guitars as you can before deciding. Good luck.
Last edited by fretz86 at Aug 16, 2009,
I have an Epiphone Korina Explorer in black, and it is AWESOME!

You have the ORIGINAL explorer shape, and it sounds really great!

Might want to change the pickups later because they are a little bit muddy.

Edit: You also have a cheaper, totally black version, the Goth. But the pickups are not that good.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Aug 16, 2009,
EX-260, but they are a little neck heavy,

the goth explorer isnt the best of guitars, big baseball necks, neck heavy again,

ive no idea what the EX 351 is like tho
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
i'd go for the 351 if there's no fatal chips or flaws in it. Neither agathis or basswood are particularily good tone woods as opposed to mahogany which is great. You can change the pups and hardware, and possibly repaint it if the finish is bad, but the wood you can't swap.
I heard recently from a friend that Tokai's ex-55's are great, I heard him play on it and for the money paid it's a hell of a guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
The EX-351 was up for £250, but didn't sell. I've messaged the guy about it, to see if he still has it or whether he sold it elsewhere; I've asked for more pictures of the dings, the 12th fret and the serial number, because the finish looks a little different to others I've seen - its the 'gunmetal blue', but looks very bright on the pictures - though they have been taken with a flash.

Would £250 sound like a good deal for an ex-351, or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

And if this guy has sold his EX, I'll definately look into the Tokai and the Epiphones - they both look beautiful and have very good specs, too!
Gear:
ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue.
Valencia acoustic.
this is the way the world ends
not with a bang, but with a whimper
Join the Epi Explorer club ! :P:P
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02