(Feel free to ignore this whole post if lengthy diatribes are not your thing! Okay, it's technically not a diatribe at all, but that word suddenly popped into my head and thus I felt like randomly using it.)

Excluding a university stage show production I've been involved in since last year, I haven't been in a band since high school (and even that was relatively short-lived and hardly serious! We wrote one song in Power Tab XD).

Recently, though, it seems like there may be vestiges of potential for a real band thing to occur, thanks to some random advertisements I've replied to and a friend who knows some musicians. You'll probably want to skip the next two paragraphs unless one of your favourite pastimes is reading pointless blabbering on the Internet.

Maybe I'm not a team player when it comes to music, but sometimes it's hard to imagine how the "chemistry" is going to work. I think that, inherently, my primary preference would be to compose instrumental soundtrack-style music by myself, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the adventures of being in a band as well. Limiting oneself to a single area seems unnecessarily exclusive. Anyway, as this section of ranting hardly serves any purpose in accentuating the thread title's content, I'll move on.

However, the music I like isn't necessarily the music I'm interested in playing as a band. Okay, so having a group to jam with is better than nothing, but just because I'm a fan of AFI or Anberlin doesn't mean my main goal is life is to form a band that sounds like a rip-off of bands such as those. If anything, I would be saddened by the fact that it would almost definitely not match up to the brilliance of the artists I enjoy listening to and respect. Rather than destroy music I like by attempting to infiltrate the same genre(s), which would be somewhat superfluous, as the kind of music I prefer has already been created admirably by my favourite bands, it seems less sacrilegious to simply play a different kind of music.

Okay, back on topic, with the people I've met or will hopefully soon jam with, none of them have exactly the same tastes in music as well (maybe that's a good thing; clones are scary). Some have struck similar areas, but none have been precisely identical. Now, I know it could be quite an asset to have band members with diverse musical influences, but how does this really work in practice? As of today, I've been wondering whether it's worth trying to organize a jam with the other two indie music band members and the screamo drummer (who I haven't met before and seems pretty unreliable).

This is branching off quite a bit from the original question, I suppose, but if anyone's made it this far (thanks for reading!), wise advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth trying things out with this random drummer fellow, since theoretically if it goes badly, I can just return to never seeing him ever again (yes, he's just someone whose online advertisement I replied to and seems pretty unmotivated, making me book a music room at university instead of allowing people to jam at his place, since it's "small") and it can just be a one-time thing? Is it better to explore these options even if I seriously suspect it won't work, or is it not worth it?

If I don't mix the two sets of people, I could possibly look into starting a more hard rock sort of band with the drummer, since he claims he knows some other musicians. Oh, what to do? It doesn't really matter, I suppose, since it's not a highly important decision, but I'm using this long post as a procrastination tool instead of studying for tomorrow's class quiz and it would be interesting to see other people's opinions on this. Whew, that's all for now!

Holy crap, I originally intended to type one or two short paragraphs, not 329471892893178923718923! I offer my humblest apologies!
Last edited by zephyrclaw at Aug 16, 2009,
In my band, the drummer listens to metal, the two guitarists listen to indie/shoegaze stuff, and the bassist listens to pop. We all hate each other's tone.
I have a different taste in music than everyone else in my music class but I can jam along with whatever they're doing. It doesn't really matter what music you're into to a certain extent as long as the people you're playing with know how to play more than one type of genre.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Cool, thanks for the replies so far! I'm also interested in finding out whether your band "works", despite the contrast in musical tastes. I mean, for the university production band I'm in, everyone has seriously different preferences, but since most of what we play is dictated by the show directors, it's alright. Plus, while it's somewhat "serious", it's not like anyone has to wallow in the knowledge that this could be the rest of their life; it's just a fun university extra-curricular activity that could make you embarrass yourself in front of countless students if you don't put the effort in.

However, if you're in a "real" band, it's a bit different. Are you confident in your band, despite the variety in tastes? I'm interested in seeing how people respond to that. I'm not sure I can answer a solid "yes" to that at all, myself.
Contrasting music tastes, so long as each musician can respect the genre, can lead to some very interesting influences leaking into your music.
I'd imagine you're more likely to create interesting an original music by having different tastes.
However, I'd imagine it would help having a few bands that you all appreciate.
dude never try to be a genre just make your music and see how it sonds, btw drummers who love heavier music are the best kind

just make sure you have a band cause theres nothing in life more fun than gigging...

well sex is ok too :P
My music taste differs completely from that of the other band members, as I listen mainly to metal(mostly Opet, Dream theater, and stuff like them), barbershop quartets, 50/60's jazz, avant garde(mainly les claypool and buckethead and stuff), and some beethoven on the side.
The other guitarist listens to metal I don't listen to, the bassist listen to classic rock stuff, like the beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc.
The drummer listens mainly to the current pop stuff, focusing on electronic music, our keyboard person/singer listens to pop or something. And I haven't got a clue about our other singer.

But I think that's a good thing, though.
Our band members' tastes are soooooooo different. I, the lead guitarist, like progressive rock and jam rock, our singer likes symphonic metal and vocal-driven music, our other guitarist likes acoustic stuff, our keyboardist likes very orchestrated music, our bassist likes hair and thrash metal, and our drummer likes funk/punk/alternative rock.

Needless to say, our band has a real interesting blend of styles, however, me and the singer write all the songs, so our genre kind of leans toward our styles. It will definitely give you a very mixed sound (if you like that, anyways). If you want your genre to be solid, then it's probably better if you all like similar music. Having a band with multiple musical preferences can be pulled off, but I can tell you it's much more difficult.
We are all open to a lot of music (except maybe the drummer) I listen to things like Zappa, King Crimson, My Bloody Valentine, Mars Volta, Soundgarden, Al Di Meola, Wu Tang Clan, etc. and we try to combine a lot of stuff and it's sounding great.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
To a degree, me and our bassist are mostly metalheads with a dash of rock while our drummer and guitarist/vocalist are on the rock/grunge with a slight hint of metal.
We mostly play grunge/rock though, so it works out
the drummer, the other guitarist and the basist are into everything from dance techno stuff to a small amount of metal, the saxiphonist is into indie rock and jap rock and then theres me who listens to punk, heavy rock, alt rock, indie and a bit of metal. we cover mostly punk and indie and abit of alt rock
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Quote by 601210
In my band, the drummer listens to metal, the two guitarists listen to indie/shoegaze stuff, and the bassist listens to pop. We all hate each other's tone.

I lol'd.

I personally feel that my band has been influenced by a large variety of genres. The three primary members, myself (guitarist), a bassist and a drummer are all very into indie music. We all have gone through "phases" in which we have been particularly fond of a certain genre, be it classic rock, folk, post rock or hip-hop (among other genres), and at these stages sometimes out interests have clashed. Thankfully however, we have managed to take each others interests and create a blend of sounds which we personally enjoy.

Furthermore, we often play with a trumpet player, a sax player and a flute/keyboard player (who also sings quite well). The trumpet player primarily enjoys indie music, being influenced by a variety of other genres. The sax player is a fan of older stuff such as The Guess Who, Roy Orbison, Elton John and such. His musical interests often clash with ours, but we usually manage to find common ground. The flute/keyboard player is influenced primarily by jazz, though he is very open to all genres of music.

The result is a sound that varies widely in terms of sound. I would describe the result as being a hybrid between indie rock, blues and folk (with horns added in for good measure).
I think having a varied band is alot better than being identical.

I like zep
bassist/singer-queen
other guitarist-Coheed and Cambria
Drummer-muse
keyboardist-sublime

We have 6 original songs that all differ from eachother

So give your new band a chance
My other guitarist is into alt rock, one singer is into jazz and blues, bassist is a metalhead, etc etc. I think it just lets us create unique music.
This seems to be a reoccuring theme.

My Drummer likes Sum 41, Fall Out Boy, and Country.

The Bassist like Slayer, Metallica, Tool, Henry Rollins Band, and Rise Against

I like Classic Rock mostly.

We play each others stuff, stuff that we CAN do. As a cover band its fun to experiment, but when we write originals its just plain funny. Like Bloodhound Gang meets Blink 182, but its stuff that you wount mind playing in front of your mom.

The only thing we agree on is that Rock and Roll is a blast, the rest just happens out of neccesity.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
We all have many influences, some stronger than others. What we play, is determined by what we can do. A trio is somewhat limiting, and we aren't great singers. We try to take all of those influences, and push our abilities as far as we can. We wind up with a sound that is "us". We have our shortfalls, and as old as we are, we can be honest about them. We are our own worst critics.

I honestly believe that you can put a good band together, even if every member has different tastes in music. After all, the goal is to find a sound you can all be proud of. Stop worrying about this stuff, and play. It may work, it may not. If not, move along. Not that difficult really. At the age many of you are, you will change bands as quickly as you change girlfriends, and for pretty much the same reasons. When you find a "BAND"(or "the girl"), believe me, you will know it.
I suppose musical influences are secondary (within reason) when compared to personality and the so-called "chemistry" of the group.

In regards to the last post, bands seem much harder to find than girlfriends or boyfriends. After all, you need to find not just one individual who's worth your time and patience, but generally three or more. Oh god! It seems more like a Chinese emperor of olden times and the collecting of concubines. No wait, they didn't have to have much musical compatible ability. Gah.
My drummer listens exclusively to classic rock (and Pearl Jam). I've been wanting him to check out some disco and funk for a bit more flavor in his beats, but while he may be a bit hard to get across to he is very talented.

My bassist listens to metal. (Which seems to be a common trend in this thread.)

I listen to everything, but not at once. I go through phases when I exclusively listen to one genre for a day. I've had folk, metal, jazz, county, progressive, disco, funk, indie, rap, pop, gospel, post-rock, punk and blues phases for a long time. I am just starting to actually listen to them all at once.

Our music is slightly diverse because I am the main songwriter. However for the most part it all stays under "rock".
for the past 3yrs I've been developing a rock opera (please no sarah marshall jokes) and the band I've been jamming with play a completely different kind of music than what I've been writing. At our first practice the guitarist said it was kind of a relief to be playing something different. But he brings his influences to the stuff I write which ends up making a really nice product in the end.

Now, my suggestion is: Have one main writer per song. That person dictates what the tone and mood of the song will be; while allowing people to add their own sauce to the mix. It has worked amazingly for me. Plus it can push some people out of their comfort zone and get them thinking of/composing music outside of their favorite genre.

PS our drummer is into hip-hop, me alternative, other guitarist emo-ish stuff, and the bassist is into bro music...
Yup me and the guitarist are both majorly into black/death
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Sometimes, it can be good for a band to have slightly different musical tastes. I think if that happens, and you're all happy to, you need to accommodate for that sort of thing. Few years back I was in a high school band me and some friends started, and we played a lot of 80's metal. Our singer loved it, but I wasn't nearly as hyped about it. I'm more in to ska, so I ended up leaving and starting a new band with the bassist (also plays trumpet, handy). Anyway, point of what I was trying to get at was like, in that situation, it was bad that we had different tastes, because we couldn't get to compromise, but in my current band, me and our trumpet player have very similar musical tastes, our drummer and bassist listen to more metal and industrial, our tombrone player loves jazz and our sax players love funk. Not entirely clashing interests seeing as what we've managed to make of it all, but I think if you can find the balance to make sure everyone in the band is enjoying the time theyre spending, then it doesn't really matter.
I love rock pop and funk, my keyboardist/violinist loves progressive funk rock, my drummer is a big rush fan and my bassist...ska. so we're pretty different lol!
Too cool for a signature.
My band was formed on the basis we all liked the same **** haha. And that we could all play well enough to take our music as far as possible.

Stuff like SikTh, Meshuggah, Ion Dissonance.
This is just my experience, but it definitely will help your case:

My favorite bands are U2, Audioslave, Pink Floyd, and Muse
Drummer: Green Day, Brand New, The Beatles
Bassist: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Radiohead
Singer: Boston, Survivor, Journey, and ... country

Honestly, we have 11 total original songs and you can definitely tell that each one is us. We have 3 of them recorded in a presentable quality, but they are all the combined ingredients of the individuals involved.

I write all of the lyrics, which are 60% Floyd, 20% Muse, 20% Audioslave...and they come across well despite the singer's very different influences.

The poppish, upbeat basslines underscore a very dark, ominous guitar texture and it works...it's just unique.

The drums are well played, and are always very much where the energy of the song comes from...much like the early Beatles and Green Day.

If you are all in the same ballpark and have some sort of formula for how you are going to write songs, then what comes out will be unique and interesting. Creative minds are the best choices for bandmembers, but even less creative people can bring something unique to the overall atmosphere of the sound. If you are unhappy with the results, change the formula.
"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long.
And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."

- Stephen King, The Stand
I'm the only one who is different. The rest of my band listens to Deathcore like Bring Me The Horizon and all that stuff, but I hate it. I listen to a bit of everything else.

We started off liking the same stuff, but I changed. The rest didn't.
Check out my Electronica project!
http://
TS- it is completley normal for other members of the band to have different tastes and whatnot. And I also respect that you are seeking to move away from the music you listen to in order to create something new- lots of people forget that. Each band is different, hopefully the members just have the chemistry to work.

Well
Our band too has musical phases and whatnot-
In the early stages- I was still in my diehard ACDC phase, My bassist was a beatles nut, and my drummer had clung to the who and rush.
Later on, the bassist and I developed into a more progressive state with bands such as dream theater and tool, however we sort of branched- I became highly interested in stoner metal and sludge metal (high on fire, monster magnet, orange goblin) and my bassist is a little on the death metal side now (slipknot, cannibal corpse, etc etc) however, we both developed an intense taste for oldschool thrash (megadeth, testament, early metallica, exodus) and of course Iron Maiden. My drummer still remained more on the classic rock side, listening to hip hop and whatnot, but he was always a big SoAD fan.
My band is taking a more sludgy aproach due to me being the guy who writes everything, though we are starting to incorporate progressive elements ala opeth and king's x.
This is what the band I'm in looks like:

Me (guitars/bass) - Weird progressive rock and heavy metal
Bassist/drummer - Soft, slow, chord progressions, repetitive and melodic
Drummer/guitarist - Highly energetic metal and rock music.

We were able to come to a compromise and make some music together for about 2 years. We turned to bands like Wolfmother, Priestess, Jimi Hendrix and other classic rock artists who somehow seemed to be in a 'middle ground' for our tastes.

But, I noticed (thanks to my parents recording) our shows got considerably WORSE as time went on. I assume this is because our musical interests became further and further apart. In the beginning, we were all content with playing simple Weezer riffs and writing songs that really only had 2 unique parts to it. We all genuinely enjoyed it and so our shows went very smoothly.

Now, however, while everyone's talents has increased greatly overall (one of the guys plays Lamb of God covers almost perfectly, and the other has become MUCH more knowledgeable in music theory), we are all striving to play a different kinds of music. Yes, we can compromise, but our 'hearts' weren't in it.

Sadly, the band is disbanding next month as one of the members is going to University out of town. Perhaps it was time for a split anyways.
In my band at the moment, we all have vastly varied musical taste. I'm into hard rock and metal, singer's into indie/emo, bassist is a full on metal fan and our drummer's into punk mostly. We've managed to avoid issues by just playing covers so far, but it seems that I'm going to be the main songwriter so I don't know if anyone will object to my style yet...