is it dangerous to tune flatwounds gauge
G: 0.045" (1.14 mm)
D: 0.065" (1.65 mm)
A: 0.080" (2.03 mm)
E: 0.100" (2.54 mm)
B: 0.132" (3.35 mm)

to (lowest first) C#, G#, C#, F#, B

?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
According to the tension calculator that's going to give you about 45 pounds on the low C# which is okay, BUT with the higher strings you'll be going up to 80 pounds which is probably not recommended (normal playing tension seems to be around 40-60 pounds).

I'm not a guitar tech, but I think you shouldn't tune that high with those strings.

J.
Last edited by Sewe Dae at Aug 16, 2009,
He's probably in a band that plays in C# standard and he doesn't use any notes lower than C#.

I'd suggest buying a light gauge 4 string set and then get a single heavy gauge E string for the lowest string.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Royal Celebi
I would just tune it to G#C#G#C#F# and get the lows, unless the high B is very necessary.

thats what im doing at the moment, and the low G# sounds like crap.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It'll sound like crap because your amp can't handle that low, you haven't set the instrument up properly, or both. A low B string with gauge .135 will happily do G#.

I notice that a .135 is the second fattest string that D'Addario sells (the .145 being the biggest). Also, bands like Meshuggah and Mudvayne all manage to get their basses down to F# (that is, a fourth below a 5-strings low B) using guages like .135 and .145. I'm not sure how they set up their basses to not be totally unplayable though; AFAIK the only two ways to get a lower frequency sound is a) make the string longer (i.e. longer scale) and b) make the string larger in diameter. If you're playing a 34" scale bass the only thing you can really do it put on thicker strings, but it looks like there aren't many thicker ones than a .135...

J.

comes as standard with a .175 F# string
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
That's a big string. The set's apparently really expensive though. Do you know if anyone else makes strings larger than .145?

EDIT: I see Conklin makes some huge strings too (down to .194!!!)... can't be very practical... but it's one way of solving the low G# problem.

J.
Last edited by Sewe Dae at Aug 17, 2009,
sheeeet... think of how high your action would have to be for a .194 string to not buzz.

I'd want a custom-built 40" scale too
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Revelation

I'd suggest buying a light gauge 4 string set and then get a single heavy gauge E string for the lowest string.

yeah this seems the best way to go.
cheers all : )