Sometimes i don't feel comfortable using economy or alternative picking, for say the intro to Unforgiven.

|-----------------------------------|
|-0-----0-----0-----0-----1------|
|---2-----2-----2-----2-----2----|
|-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--|
|-0---------------------------------|

So is it bad if i pick this like this? ( D - Down, U - Up ) The first two notes, that is the two open strings at the same time, i pluck the A string with my pick and use my ring finger for the B string, i think that's called hybrid picking? So anyway.

|-0-----0-----0-----0-----1------|
|---2-----2-----2-----2-----2----|
|-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--|
|-0---------------------------------|
---UD DUD DUD DUD DUD

Oh and i start with an upstroke because when i use Hybrid picking on the first notes, i pluck down obviously, so my next stroke comes up.
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 16, 2009,
If you can play it cleanly, in time and you don't feel strained or uncomfortable; pick it however you want.
Quote by blue_strat
If you can play it cleanly, in time and you don't feel strained or uncomfortable; pick it however you want.

Yeah thats the reason i pick it like that here. When i try to just use alternative picking my hand feel uncomfortable and i think too much about the strokes, that picking i showed it just came naturally the first time i tried to play this.
Quote by Shinami
Yeah thats the reason i pick it like that here. When i try to just use alternative picking my hand feel uncomfortable and i think too much about the strokes, that picking i showed it just came naturally the first time i tried to play this.

If you practise alternate picking and just slow it down, you will get used to it, and it will feel natural. That said, it does take a while to develop a good alternate picking technique.

It's really up to you. Whatever works best. But with practice, you can definitely play this with alternate picking.
Disclaimer - I'm a big believer in alternate picking, and can't stand economy picking, so I'm a bit biased.

But anyway, I'd alternate pick it. Licks like this where it is a bit awkward but doable, are a great opportunity to improve the skill in question. That's really the process of improving at playing the guitar - take something that's difficult, work on it til it's easy, repeat process for rest of life. Within reason of course, I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't tap -5-17- and that it's a great opportunity to work on your reach! But I feel that this lick falls right into the "opportunity to improve at something category".