Page 1 of 2
I've just started throwing some tunes together with this girl, and was trying to think of some great Chick-Rock songs, or songs that would suit a female vocalist in a pub-rock scene. A very broad topic I know, though there's a band comp coming up at a local pub, so we wanna get as many ideas as we can...

I've already told her we are NOT doing a corny chick-version of "long way to the top"-AC/DC.

Cheers in advance.

VC
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" -Jimi Hendrix 1969
girls can't play music silly
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
girls can't play music silly

She doesn't have to play it- Just sing it.

I realise it doesn't have to be chick rock, in fact I'd like to steer away from it if I could. Just need some ideas... If You've heard a chick cover something that sounded cool...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" -Jimi Hendrix 1969
If you're calling it 'Chick Rock' you've got the wrong idea already, girl. It doesn't matter. Just play pub-rocky songs that you like, that you can play and you feel confident with. Maybe go dow the blues path for inspiration?
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Umm what about "do you wanna touch me" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts thats pretty badass
Kitchen rock. You should play songs in the vein of 'Sammich, Sammich, Sammich', 'Sammich Man', 'Don't Stop Sammiching' and 'Get Back In The Kitchen, Yo'. The last is best if you bring in a hip-hop artist for guest vocals.

No offense meant to any female listeners.

MushroomEDIT: God damn you, Psyduck!

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by ~VoodooChild~
I've already told her we are NOT doing a corny chick-version of "long way to the top"-AC/DC.

You mention AC/DC. I saw a band play Highway to Hell not to long ago. They had their female vocalist sing it. It was really cool, actually.
Quote by MushroomBomb
Kitchen rock. You should play songs in the vein of 'Sammich, Sammich, Sammich', 'Sammich Man', 'Don't Stop Sammiching' and 'Get Back In The Kitchen, Yo'. The last is best if you bring in a hip-hop artist for guest vocals.

No offense meant to any female listeners.

MushroomEDIT: God damn you, Psyduck!

Was thinking along the lines of No Doubt or Pink, then I thought that's extremely pansy, and if I've gotta be standing next to her, we're gonna need something ballsy... so to speak... Just don't know what..
le tigre might be worth a listen
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
How about that song "ironic". As much as the lyrics are undoubtedly stupid, its a pretty decent song.

Any blondie stuff really. I personally really like the song "dreaming"

The Pixies- Gigantic is an awesome song, maybe not rocky enought though.

Flyleaf are pretty good. I like that "I'm so sick"

How about some "Hole"? Yeah, pretty poppy but its not too bad.

Something like Michael Jackson's beat it might be within her range. Thats an awesome song (if you can play the solo)!
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by ~VoodooChild~

Was thinking along the lines of No Doubt or Pink, then I thought that's extremely pansy, and if I've gotta be standing next to her, we're gonna need something ballsy... so to speak... Just don't know what..

No Doubt could work, if the majority of the audience is flamboyantly homosexual/female

To be somewhat serious, what about some light Guns N' Roses? I'll imagine it could work with a female vocalist.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by metaldud536
Well it doens't have to be chick rock simply cause she's a chick.

Yeah... but you wouldn't really call it Stag-rock either, would you?
Quote by metaldud536
Well it doens't have to be chick rock simply cause she's a chick.

this man is right, don't limit yourselves
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Why does Beyonce sing "to the left, to the left"

Because women have no rights.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Just had a brain wave! Hair Rock! Half Chick-ish anyway!
Hmm, our singer is a chick and she does really well covering Aerosmith. Our cover of Cryin' is very well suited for her voice.

If she's got a voice that can sustain high notes, it might be pretty cool.
Hearts Under Fire.
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Britney Spears.. I love her.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
The Runaways, The Donnas and Patti Smith spring to my mind.

They're all 'chick-rock' in some shape or form.
Cranberries - ZOMBIE!!!
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
Reliant K,Boys Like Girls,Paramore,some Red Jumpsuit Apparatus,stuff like that. Trust me, I have a lot of chick friends...
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Is there a kitchen at this pub scene then?

Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
She is hot- Off limits though... no we aren't related.
To-motherfucking-To.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Cianyx
Umm, anyone else read Chris Rock?

Dyslexia- Its a curse
Page 1 of 2