I'm having an argument with my friend and I want to see, Does the amount of watts on an amp make a difference in the quality you get from the amp? I'm looking at a 30 watt amp and a 100 watt amp of the SAME SERIES. Would there be any difference in quality if they're in the same series?
You would get more headroom in a higher wattage amp (you could stay cleaner at higher volumes).

If you are thinking of the MG series, though, just ... move on.
Damn dude, don't get an MG.

Been there, learned that.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Watts have absolutely nothing to do with quality.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

That. Having said that, though, bigger wattage means bigger transformers, which (I believe, not 100% sure here - please correct me) can lead to better bass response. However, the difference (if there is any) is minimal and it's not a reason to buy the bigger amp. Also, it indirectly affects tone because bigger wattage amps usually are either heads which can be matched with a high quality cab, or combos with larger or more speakers, which can make it sound better.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Aug 16, 2009,
Some tube amps with higher wattages in a series may use different varieties of power tubes, which would lead to a different but not necessarily 'better' sound.

For instance, the Budda Superdrive series goes from 18w up to 80w, with the 18w using 2 EL84s, the 30 using 4 EL84s, the 45 using two KT66es and the 80 using two 6L6es.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
depends on the series, sometimes the higher-wattage amps have more features etc., but in general:

Quote by steven seagull

agreed.

and also what fama and raijouta said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
More headroom, but not bvetter quality, example, a blackstar ht-5 (5 watts) sounds way better than a marshall mg100fx(100watts).
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ