There's a bunch of microphones out there ranging from £10-£40, but what are the decent ones out of them?

I'm not expecting super quality, but I need something that will work for live vocals, busking and maybe amateur recording.

Any ideas?
Shure SM57.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
SM57s are good, but they're out of his price range...
http://www.myspace.com/echohead7

GUITARS
PRS SE Camo
Epiphone G400 SG
AMP
Roland Cube 30
EFFECTS
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Danelectro FAB Distortion
Digitech Whammy
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1

Quote by Mister.Y
Imagine your underwear.... naked.
You really want a Shure SM58 for vocals and 57 for guitar and recording purposes but if you're just looking to get one... I'd probably pick the 57. Btw £10-40 won't realllly get you what you need you'll have to stretch the budget a liiiitle.

Simples.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'll be honest, a mic for £40 or less is nothing other than a waste of money. It's worth getting something which is good quality and reliable.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

thanks, appreciated so basically buying something for £40 would be little or no improvement over my crappy microphone which came from a set when i was like 10 years old?

i'll have to get saving and go for a sennheiser or shure in time.
It will be an improvement but imo, it wouldn't really be worth it.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by kyle62
What's with the bloody Shure worship on this forum?

It's the industry standard at not extortionate prices.
How about you suggest something else as opposed asking obnoxious questions?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

indeed, suggestions are appreciated!

what can you get that is better than shure around that price range?
Quote by dannyyy
indeed, suggestions are appreciated!

what can you get that is better than shure around that price range?

Shure's own PG58 is actually alright for the price, though it's a little dark. We've got one as a spare mic for jam nights and it's fine for occasional use.]

I'd go with the Samson Q7, which is exceptional quality for £35.

Quote by Yngwi3
How about you suggest something else as opposed asking obnoxious questions?

People constantly throwing around misleading phrases like 'industry standard' means that half the kids on UG are convinced that SM57s are the best mics in the world.
Hardly anyone seems to understand that yes, they're used by 75% of studios for mic'ing up amps and snare drums, and do a great job, but are pretty poor at micing up, say, acoustic guitar, percussion or vocals.

UG bandwaggoning means that any thread with 'microphone' in the title is now guaranteed to get at least three misinformed comments along the lines of 'SM57 is the industry standard'.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 16, 2009,
nice one, i'll check out the samson is any brand of XLR cable specifically recommended? or will any brand do?
Just so long as it isn't so cheap you feel you have to jump on it it should be ok
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace